woman dies for want of a abortion

Started by guy crouchback, November 14, 2012, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2016, 01:31:50 AM
Quote from: gallsman on February 11, 2016, 11:30:24 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 11:19:07 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2016, 11:17:12 PM
Pedantry and disingenuity aside, why does NI have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century?
why does death and murder have to be viewed as progress? I thought you were putting pedantry and disingenuity aside?

Murder? Who's being murdered here? Hyperbole and hysteria won't help your argument gain traction beyond what we all know it is - misguided religious zealotry
I'm glad you speak for the gabboard from spain and that you know anything about my intentions and their foundation.
I have 4 kids and 1 on the way - do you have kids? have you seen an ultasound of those kids in the womb? my stance on a childs life inside the womb is the same as my stance on a childs life outside of the womb - i will do what I can to protect them not because of my relationship with God but because of my relationship with life, with other humans.... if you were in bother and it was easier to just pull a chord and end your life I would fight for yours too

In "the womb". Not your womb, not my womb. Inside the womb of a female human being. Her body, her choice.

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2016, 01:25:49 AM
Quote from: No wides on February 11, 2016, 11:57:28 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 09:49:57 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2016, 09:39:03 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 11, 2016, 09:16:54 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2016, 08:11:43 PM
The SDLP are a disaster on this. It may well come back to bite them in places like South Belfast. Eastwood had an opportunity to refresh the party after McDonnell and the least he could have done is given a free vote. I know a lot of younger people will be massively put off by this. I am.

Are South Belfast people especially keen on ending inconvenient lives?
South Belfast would have a young, liberal mass of voters, moreso than many constituencies, who the SDLP, along with others, will be trying to attract. Many of these voters will think that the woman is best placed to make difficult decisions and won't be attracted by those who deny them this choice.
I understand people being pro-life and fighting for it. Life is life and in my book it is a cause worth fighting for regardless of religious affiliation, sexual persuasion, gender....

what i dont get is why someone like you maguire would you strongly fight for abortion? what you gain?
I protect life with my efforts? what do you get?

A woman is raped - should she be forced to have that child?

who is forcing anyone to do anything? should a child be killed because the mother was raped?
I have a friend in belfast who was raped while travelling in Ethiopia. She originally planned to put the baby up for adoption and changed her mind when the baby was born.
there are always choices that don't have to involve killing a child....

All due respect, but what the f**k does the fact that your friend kept the baby have to do with anything? I don't think anybody's suggesting that it's not possible for someone to become attached to a cold, even if she's impregnated as a result of rape? Why should her choice (and well done to get on a very brave choice) matter one iota to the next rape victim who can't stand the thought of a child growing inside her?

general_lee

Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 11:19:07 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2016, 11:17:12 PM
Pedantry and disingenuity aside, why does NI have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century?
why does death and murder have to be viewed as progress? I thought you were putting pedantry and disingenuity aside?
So, a pregnant woman that is carrying a highly deformed foetus that will be dead upon or shortly after birth should be forced to carry that highly deformed foetus on the miniscule to non-existent chance that it might survive. And YOU want to make that decision for her, rather than let HER; the one who has to actually go through with the birth have the choice as to whether she wants to give birth to a highly deformed and likely already dead baby.

Let's shake it up a wee bit and say the pregnancy was the result of a serious sexual assault by a sibling. And let's say she isn't an adult woman but a young teenager.

Do you still think she should be forced to go through with that trauma? Are Christians not meant to be compassionate?

No wides

No the holy rollers on here pick and choose what to be compassionate about.  It amazes me a man can tell a woman what is right for them.

The Iceman

a lot of you are quoting extreme cases and asking us for responses. What would you do if? What would happen if? None of us are equipped to deal with these - we are not professionals. Thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of professionals in crisis pregnancy centers who are equipped with the words, options and compassion to support women through this.
A start on all our part is to be at least open to life rather than demonizing the child. kids are kids. Do we call John the alcoholic's son? or Mary the murderer's daughter? a child is a child - if it's the result of a rape it will still be a child....
in 2015 there were 40-50 million global abortions. 125,000 babies killed per day. Let that sink in.
Try to disassociate the humanity of it all by labeling a child as something else - likening it to a common cold as our good friend gallsman did

125,000 abortions per day - how many of those are as a result of abnormalities? how many as a result of rape or incest? all 125,000 you would imagine given the reports of the pro death champions on here...

do you see many down syndrome children today? heard of any born recently?
we as a race, as humans, as people are choosing who gets to live and who gets to die and explaining it away as womens rights
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

No wides

Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2016, 03:50:52 PM
a lot of you are quoting extreme cases and asking us for responses. What would you do if? What would happen if? None of us are equipped to deal with these - we are not professionals. Thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of professionals in crisis pregnancy centers who are equipped with the words, options and compassion to support women through this.
A start on all our part is to be at least open to life rather than demonizing the child. kids are kids. Do we call John the alcoholic's son? or Mary the murderer's daughter? a child is a child - if it's the result of a rape it will still be a child....
in 2015 there were 40-50 million global abortions. 125,000 babies killed per day. Let that sink in.
Try to disassociate the humanity of it all by labeling a child as something else - likening it to a common cold as our good friend gallsman did

125,000 abortions per day - how many of those are as a result of abnormalities? how many as a result of rape or incest? all 125,000 you would imagine given the reports of the pro death champions on here...

do you see many down syndrome children today? heard of any born recently?
we as a race, as humans, as people are choosing who gets to live and who gets to die and explaining it away as womens rights

But in your opinion every pregnancy should be continued, be that a child being raped or a woman being raped?

general_lee

Iceman, distinguish between pro-abortion and pro-choice. I don't support abortion if and when and pregnant woman takes a notion for one. You have to quote extreme permutations so that all possible eventualities are covered under law. It is utterly unfair to force a woman into going through with a pregnancy in such circumstances.

Longshanks

Quote from: general_lee on February 12, 2016, 04:30:36 PM
Iceman, distinguish between pro-abortion and pro-choice. I don't support abortion if and when and pregnant woman takes a notion for one. You have to quote extreme permutations so that all possible eventualities are covered under law. It is utterly unfair to force a woman into going through with a pregnancy in such circumstances.

Yeah I don't support abortion if the person just decides it doesn't suit them as that' not childs fault, in the extreme situations that are being mentioned (rape being the main one and the child being born dead) then I am unsure the woman should have to go through the trauma involved as it does no one any favours..

deiseach

It's sunk in. I don't rejoice in it, but the alternative - forcing all those women to have unwanted babies - is worse.

The Iceman

Quote from: deiseach on February 12, 2016, 04:45:37 PM

It's sunk in. I don't rejoice in it, but the alternative - forcing all those women to have unwanted babies - is worse.
So your stance is that if a woman doesn't want the child then it should be aborted? Do you have a time limit on that? 20 weeks, 30 weeks, 39 weeks? what about the day after it's born?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

I still can't get over the fact that any of you believe your opinion should have any say on what a woman does with her body.

Somebody earlier mentioned abortion being used as a form of birth control. Is it? How many women go about the place thinking "yeah sure, don't bag up even though I'm not on the pill. Worst comes to worst, I'll just have an abortion." I'd say that number is absolutely miniscule.

As for 125,000 abortions a day, I agree that that's an absolutely horrific number. Who wouldn't? Do those abortions occur simply because the option is available though? No, absolutely not

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2016, 05:49:35 PM
I still can't get over the fact that any of you believe your opinion should have any say on what a woman does with her body.

Somebody earlier mentioned abortion being used as a form of birth control. Is it? How many women go about the place thinking "yeah sure, don't bag up even though I'm not on the pill. Worst comes to worst, I'll just have an abortion." Is say that number is absolutely miniscule.

As for 125,000 abortions a day, I agree that that's an absolutely horrific number. Who wouldn't? Do those abortions occur simply because the option is available though? No, absolutely not
Where do you draw the line?
Or is every abortion OK in your eyes because it's a womans body and she can choose what she wants to do?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

No doubt this thread will go on and on.
However, there is a fundamental gap between those who think that a life is disposable for the convenience of others and those who do and this gap is not closed by examples.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2016, 05:49:35 PM

Somebody earlier mentioned abortion being used as a form of birth control. Is it? How many women go about the place thinking "yeah sure, don't bag up even though I'm not on the pill. Worst comes to worst, I'll just have an abortion." I'd say that number is absolutely miniscule.

I used the abortion as birth control example.

What are the stats? Are most abortions due to rape or terminally compromised development of the child? Or do most opt because they don't want the pregnancy? Because the latter IS birth control.

The Iceman

I can only pull numbers from the US CDC but I would presume that they would be telling of most of the world:

On average, women give at least 3 reasons for choosing abortion: 3/4 say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or other responsibilities; about 3/4 say they cannot afford a child; and 1/2 say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner (AGI).
Only 12% of women included a physical problem with their health among reasons for having an abortion (NAF).
One per cent (of aborting women) reported that they were the survivors of rape (NAF).

Making abortion available results in abortion being used as a form of birth control based on these numbers?

Not surprisingly the most abortions occur in California, NY and Florida (more specifically Miami...)
why? because a child doesn't fit in with the lifestyle being led by most people in these metropolitan areas...