Author Topic: The GPA  (Read 9363 times)

NaomhBridAbú

• View Profile
Re: The GPA
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »

Reflects well on you to associate a criminal act of theft in one of our constituent clubs with the GPA for the sake of feeding your preoccupation with them

+1
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
Bud needs to go back on his tablets pronto  ;D
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Bud Wiser

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »
You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as yourselves. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

It is happening all the time and not always discovered and those who put temptation in the way are not to blame. They are just thick or stupid and know no better in the majority of cases. Thats why we need a body like the GPA that can add a more professional touch to things. Pilferage of club money, palming of money at admission points to games where they still use biscuit tins is ultimately a loss to the players wages fund and if clubs or county boards cant protect that then the GPA should.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:13:57 AM by Bud Wiser »
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »
You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as yourselves. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

It is happening all the time and not always discovered and those who put temptation in the way are not to blame. They are just thick or stupid and know no better in the majority of cases. Thats why we need a body like the GPA that can add a more professional touch to things. Pilferage of club money, palming of money at admission points to games where they still use biscuit tins is ultimately a loss to the players wages fund and if clubs or county boards cant protect that then the GPA should.

That's a bit of a serious allegation.  Got any proof of that?

Your comparison of the GAA to the Catholic Church's systematic cover-up and facilitation of child abusers is noted. I'm trying to resist the urge to lower myself to dignifying that with any further response.

heffo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2012, 09:08:24 AM »
You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as Duffle King. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

Your overall point is a good one Bud but I don't see the GPA as having any interest oir having any remit in getting involved in such issues.

I would say that the deterrent to a club officer/Treasurer pilfering funds is good club structures, a strong committee and a turnover of officers in line with the GAA club constitution.

You still hear of clubs where they've had the same Treasurer or Secretary for the last 45 years - not healthy.

deiseach

• View Profile
    • Come  on the Déise
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as Duffle King. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

Have to protect people from themselves . . . strong leadership required . . . protecting our interests . . . he who has steel has bread . . . okay, maybe not the last part, but I've seen less emotive talk from people who were subsequently found to be plotting a coup.

Bud Wiser

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »
Since my laptop drank a mug of Lyons Tea I am using phone so old Bud is not as fast on phone as you younv lads.
On the issue of "have I got any  proof" please go to our mutual friend Mr Google and ask him 'gaa theft'  'gaa fraud'  'gaa money missing'  and come back to me in a weeks time if ye need any more help.

I did not compare the GAA with Bishops in denial, I compared anyone who didnt believe vthat money goes missing from GAA clubs with them and when it comes to dignity a lot of them are still falling short.

Mr Google will tell you that the Ali Baba's in my own county were not afraid to put their hand in the biscuit tin either and if the Vikings came up the Shannon in the morning they would have a hard job match funding the dippers. I remember years ago Laois were playing Cork in a league match and there was a young lad collecting sliothars that went over the wall into the field when all his birthdays came together. A bag with a rock in it and two hundred pound sailed over and he handed it in to Porlaoise Gardai and got it for himself after a yesr and a day because it was never
claimed. I try and console myself on this one by pretending it might have been the share of the gate due to the Cork boys.  To avoid turning this thread into a 'money missing' thread and to get back to the opening question, there are other reasons why I have softened toward the GPA although I have reservations about the Cork boys presence and I would be against them for their tendency to go on parade around the streets if they dont grt their way but shur my next letter to the real leaders will resolve that.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Eamonnca1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:15 AM »
On the issue of "have I got any  proof" please go to our mutual friend Mr Google and ask him 'gaa theft'  'gaa fraud'  'gaa money missing'  and come back to me in a weeks time if ye need any more help.

No, Bud, it doesn't work like that.  You're the one making the allegation -- you produce the evidence.  Don't ask me to make your argument for you.  Either produce the evidence or shut up.

I did not compare the GAA with Bishops in denial,

Yes you did.  You said "You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country."

I compared anyone who didnt believe vthat money goes missing from GAA clubs with them and when it comes to dignity a lot of them are still falling short.

Put those goalposts back where you got them. Nobody said there has never been fraud in the GAA ever.  Your claim is that it's as rife in the GAA as child abuse was in the Christian Brothers schools.  So far all you've given us as evidence is a single incident years ago when a couple of hundred quid was thrown over a wall and picked up by some young lad who handed it in to the cops.  Not exactly the Great Train Robbery now, is it?  Hardly evidence that every single club and county board is run by thieves.

I sometimes wonder what some people around here actually do for the GAA apart from gripe about it.  Given the amount of hours that I've put into the organisation over the years (before we even start on the out-of-pocket expenses that I don't get back) the idea that people like me are "on the take" is offensive.

Grade: F-

Must do better.

Declan

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2012, 08:02:12 AM »

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »
Given their militant response yesterday, I sincerely hope the GPA organise a strike.

A very appropriate response from the GAA would be to cancel the county season for 2020 in its entirety, use their now bountiful reserves to support the Association for the season, and top it up with a few more concerts at Croke.

At the end of all that, this shower of c***ts might just learn their real place.

caprea

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »
Given their militant response yesterday, I sincerely hope the GPA organise a strike.

A very appropriate response from the GAA would be to cancel the county season for 2020 in its entirety, use their now bountiful reserves to support the Association for the season, and top it up with a few more concerts at Croke.

At the end of all that, this shower of c***ts might just learn their real place.

Where do you think they stand in the association given the county game has brought in revenue of 70 million?

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2020, 04:25:26 PM »

Where do you think they stand in the association given the county game has brought in revenue of 70 million?

They are at a point where because they’ve chosen to spend 31 hours per week pursuing a hobby, that they want improved rewards for doing so.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that large GAA crowds do not go watch players, they go to watch their counties. Hence you could fit the entire crowd for a Sigerson Cup final, or a Railway Cup final into a d4 club ground.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that centrally the GAA’s revenues are up, but county boards are going bankrupt trying to meet their demands.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that their secretive and paranoid approach to business is elitist and generates mistrust, and will be their undoing.

caprea

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »

They are at a point where because they’ve chosen to spend 31 hours per week pursuing a hobby, that they want improved rewards for doing so.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that large GAA crowds do not go watch players, they go to watch their counties. Hence you could fit the entire crowd for a Sigerson Cup final, or a Railway Cup final into a d4 club ground.

Yes you are correct, people don’t care if it’s david Clifford, ciaran Kilkenny and Aidan O’Shea they are paying to see or if it’s random decent club players from Mayo, Dublin and Kerry. They’ll still show up in huge numbers and pay for 50 euro- 100 euro for tickets. And the tv deals and the sponsors will be just as interested. Yes that is complete fact.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2020, 05:03:54 PM »
Crowds of 5,000 are a regular enough occurrence for McKenna Cup games between intercounty B and C teams.

There are not 5,000 people who have watched David Clifford playing in the flesh for IT Tralee over the past 3 seasons. And he’s the best and most high profile young player to appear in generations.

These are facts.

——-

But you are of course entitled to make assumptions.

Eamonnca1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »

They are not yet at the point of realisation that centrally the GAA’s revenues are up, but county boards are going bankrupt trying to meet their demands.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that their secretive and paranoid approach to business is elitist and generates mistrust, and will be their undoing.

+1. If the individual players were the only reason the big crowds show up, the Railway Cup would be selling out in Croke Park every year. The GPA are a shower of angry young men with a combination of a persecution complex and some ideas above their station.