Author Topic: The GPA  (Read 9362 times)

deiseach

• View Profile
    • Come  on the Déise
Re: The GPA
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
I wouldn't disagree with points 1 and 3 there, heffo, although I think the GAA is more collectivist than you seem to accept. However, I'm confused by your middle point. You say there "was never an issue with Dublin having a high media profile prior to the Vodafone deal". So what do you think made Vodafone put pen to paper?

heffo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
I wouldn't disagree with points 1 and 3 there, heffo, although I think the GAA is more collectivist than you seem to accept. However, I'm confused by your middle point. You say there "was never an issue with Dublin having a high media profile prior to the Vodafone deal". So what do you think made Vodafone put pen to paper?

Have been speaking French for last month so maybe I was clumsy in my point - I mean other counties thought our profile was a great laugh until we got the Vodafone deal - now we have an unequal advantage due to it

midLouth

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »

Have been speaking French for last month so maybe I was clumsy in my point - I mean other counties thought our profile was a great laugh until we got the Vodafone deal - now we have an unequal advantage due to it

Other counties thought your profile was a great laugh because Dublin never realised it's potential at everything until the last few years, I am not talking just about the sponsorship.

heffo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »

Other counties thought your profile was a great laugh because Dublin never realised it's potential at everything until the last few years, I am not talking just about the sponsorship.

Thats exactly the point I'm making - it was a great laugh for other counties and now we have an unfair advantage because of it

deiseach

• View Profile
    • Come  on the Déise
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »

Fair enough. Thinking about it, pooling sponsorship money is not a good idea. It would reduce the incentive for counties to hammer out individual deals. There is plenty of scope in the GAA for shared revenue models, but county sponsorship is not one of them.

heffo

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »

Fair enough. Thinking about it, pooling sponsorship money is not a good idea. It would reduce the incentive for counties to hammer out individual deals. There is plenty of scope in the GAA for shared revenue models, but county sponsorship is not one of them.

We already have a fairly robust shared revenue model though - many's the pitch and clubhouse in other counties that has been built on the back of Dublin attendances in Croke park.

deiseach

• View Profile
    • Come  on the Déise
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
We already have a fairly robust shared revenue model though - many's the pitch and clubhouse in other counties that has been built on the back of Dublin attendances in Croke park.

Then we're agreed! ;)

Bud Wiser

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
Counties like  Carlow or Louth have no chance of competing with Dublin  unless they step up the drink and  cigarette smuggling or bring back the beet factory. All players at county level should have equal access to equal training facilities and be paid at least 500 euro  a week frrom March  to September. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:57 AM »
Counties like  Carlow or Louth have no chance of competing with Dublin  unless they step up the drink and  cigarette smuggling or bring back the beet factory. All players at county level should have equal access to equal training facilities and be paid at least 500 euro  a week frrom March  to September.

I thought you said the hook was being put away?

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »
Not much point telling Counties with small populations like us, Layhthrum, Sligo etc etc to get a sponsorship officer.
We could get 50 sponsorship officers and we'd still be doing well to raise €50 or €60k in a year as we haven't got the population to entice big Commercial entities to throw a load of dosh at us.
Leitrim have a hotel after a local International Company dropped their jersey sponsorship while we have one generous man from Castlerea trying to help the Hospice movement.
That's a long way from Vodafones alleged €6m over 3 years.
Even Cork are being dumped by O2 ........
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

heffo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »
That's a long way from Vodafones alleged €6m over 3 years.

Nothing alleged about €6m over three years. It's a maximum, based on targets (as already posted on previous page) of €1m p.a over six years depending on performances of 6 x teams in both codes.

Bud Wiser

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
€1m p.a over six years depending on performances of 6 x teams in both codes.

Dear Dessie,

I have to say at the outset of this communication that I am furious at the lack of progress in getting the players in the GPA a proper wage. I have attached a quote from a GAA Internet Forum where you can see that 6 Dublin teams are getting €1 Million a year - depending on their performance.

This is pittance, say six teams with a panel of 25 and a million split between them comes in at a measly €126.60 cent a week, the same rate as was suggested when the GPA was first formed - I know because at a match in Parnell Park against Galway in 2001 you were playing and you hit a wide from an impossible angle and some smart arse shouted "Is that what you want €126 a week for?.  Anyway, the crux we have is that if all counties were to pay their players what they deserve, €500 a week,  each county would want to have sponsorship of exactly four times what the Dubs are getting.

In a nutshell, counting in London, we want 33 sponsorships of €4 Million a year which is a total of €132 Million. (I have excluded New York by offsetting them by way of giving f**k all to Cork) I am not much concerned about the economy or drop in gate receipts, we must be positive and aim high, I saw there a few weeks ago where the FAI had a crowd from Derry and I think Sligo playing their FA Cup Final at Aviva in front of 41,000 and some of their boyos are on €3,000 a week for Jaysus sake.

The other thing that concerns me is this "performance related" issue. Can you imagine some poor Dub trying to take a penalty that will either put them into the All-Ireland Quarter Finals or out of the Championship and some little whore from Tyrone shouting in at him " Hey, you miss this you lose a million" or worse, the poor lad knowing it himself before he takes the kick.  Having said that, I haven't seen the actual sponsorship contract so the sponsors may not be that regimental, perhaps instead of removing sponsorship they might have included provisions for a simple flogging while tied to the goalpost down at Hill 16.

Let me know if you have any resolutions or ideas regarding the above because them yobos down in Cork are starting to make noises again and the last thing we want on our hands is attention being drawn to us on the same week as the toughest budget in history is about to be unleashed on all of us.

Regards,
T.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:33:32 PM by Bud Wiser »
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
Quality!

Bud Wiser

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
I see and hear on TV3 that a club down in Limerick have to call in the Gardai beceuse of fifty thousand pounds missing. Placing large amounts of money in temptation of persons who are tempted to put their hand in the biscuit tin will become more of an issue, not just in GAA Clubs but across all organizeations in the next few years.

The GAA are fortunate they have suvh a professional representative body like the GPA and it would be far better if all these 50k's were collected up and sent to Drumcondra and let the GPA distribute it.

Later today I hope to have news on what to do to eliminate this type of affliction that is infecting the GAA. We are already providing a serious amount of support for lads who cant pass by a bookie shop or are engaged with the affliction of On-Line gambling and it should be remembered that we are here to scoop up as much money for players as we can, not run a frigging Carmelite Friary or a Dochas Centre.

Meanwhile, can we ask that everyone keeps their fingers out of the biscuit tins, at least until after the budget tomorrow. Is that too much to ask ?

DuffleKing

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2012, 09:49:35 AM »

Reflects well on you to associate a criminal act of theft in one of our constituent clubs with the GPA for the sake of feeding your preoccupation with them