Silly Season in Dublin?

Started by Declan, November 01, 2012, 08:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on November 06, 2012, 06:18:21 PM
Quote from: camanchero on November 06, 2012, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: Declan on November 06, 2012, 12:57:50 PM
Quotewould look forward to seeing James McCarthy playing in midfield which is his best position and not isolated in an alien position at whb
He was impressive there for Ballymun anytime I've seen him
and for the u21's - though they tried to stick him in at chb on occassion too.
To me the lad just looks uncomfortable on the wing and in the hb line.
he is fast, covers huge ground, isnt bad in the air and can pass the ball.
with these credentials and attitude he is a centrefielder in my book.

or we could use the old 'his da was a midfielder (third midfelder) so he's a midfielder'.

tommy Carr was decent enough the one an only time I met him. I thought he belied his public persona. He just seems to fall out with loads of lads. then again, those of us in glass houses .... (looking at you as well as meself Dinny)
Mc Carthy's best position by a mile is 6. Failing that - wing back. But he is not a midfielder.
Not IMO - then again I prefer a 'stopper' at CHB and defenders in central positions that can defend.
McCarthy great at going forward from CHB but too loose!
I think he has the makings of a top notch intercounty midfielder but that's just opinion!

mattockranger

According to the Indo today.

50 man training Squad?

possibly inexperienced bunch, with 4 of last years minors included and alot of Gavins former U21 panels and some elder statesmen being culled also.
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on November 03, 2012, 11:10:14 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 03, 2012, 06:43:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 03, 2012, 01:55:43 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 03, 2012, 01:01:43 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 03, 2012, 01:03:15 AM
Isn't this Gavin lad a bit of an arrogant so-and-so? It could be a toxic mixture if Dublin go into their traditional late-season tailspin.

Very humble fella. Don't know where you're getting that.

What Roscommon would do for a late season tailspin.

If you though the comment was false you wouldn't be trying to distract from it  ;)

Heard from a few people that Gavin isn't a particularly humble guy. I also remember some of the u21 media stuff from earlier in the year and there always was a hint of arrogance to his interviews.

We'll see, arrogance is no barrier to good management, as Jimmy, Jacko and McGeeney have shown lately.

Love to know who the "few people " are. He had to work very hard to make the best of himself as a player as he wouldn't have been as gifted as some of his counterparts. His managerial style is very similar. Should do well considering he knows the underage scene well. We got a bit carried away with the off-field stuff in the last year and I think Gavin will rein that back in quite a lot.

My only concerns are is that I wouldn't have let go some of the people he did because the team could end up little experience on it which for me isn't always a good thing. You can never say all underage players will definitely make it at this level.

We've lost the best u21 in Ireland in Ciaran kilkenny who is a once in a generation type player and he was head and shoulders above the remaining u21's . Hopefully some of the others will step up.

As would i love to know. Gavin spoke highly of us before & after the final more than i can say about some of so called experts. I think he's a perfect replacement for Gilroy & should carry on the good work already done. Will Dean Rock get more of look in having played under him in 2010?. Will be also interesting to see how Dublin U21s fare without Gavin.

Ahem. Guys, no need to rush to send me apologies, we've got all winter.

Orchardman

Although quiet and comes across as low key, his smugness really shines through in interviews. Hard to describe