Bon Jovi to play Slane 2013

Started by Sandino, October 30, 2012, 12:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Could anybody  tell me who they wanted to play at Slane?, the reality is Ireland is like a backwater of Europe, and bands do a quick stop in on European tours and maybe you should be glad anybody wants to play here. outside of U2 who gonna fill Slane anyway?, Red Hot Chili peppers had 40,000 max at their croke park concert this year, some change from phoenix park 110,0000. Metallica probably the only one that might pull the crowd but they not everyone cup of tea. I think am past the Rhianna and Lady Ga Ga, stage so who else? With Bon jovi having 2 concerts 2 nites running at the RDS aback in 2011 they are probably looking at a band that they reckon will pull the crowd, but E80 is abit stiff, since i seen the foo fighters for £45 up north back 2 months ago. The days of pulling a big band like the original Guns N`Roses is long gone.

GalwayBayBoy

Bon Jovi struggled to sell 40,000 tickets for 2 RDS gigs last year. Hard to see how they will sell 80,000 Slane tickets at €80 a pop.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on October 30, 2012, 01:12:27 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 30, 2012, 01:03:38 PM
QuoteSo reports of The Stones playing were untrue

I'd say Lord Henry couldn't afford them.

As far as i am aware it has very little to do with him, he just rents the site to MCD.

Lord Henry does organize them, must have been off his head when he organized this one

Wildweasel74

funny enough i was there the 1st Nite and it seemed sold out, outside of  the seats at the rear where you couldnt see anything from anyway.

Captain Obvious

Slane was good in the eighties early nineties then they got Robbie Williams headlining. The way it's going Lord Henry would accept the winner of the Xfactor.

Maguire01

Quote from: laoislad on October 30, 2012, 06:34:11 PM
The music snobs are out in force...
And let me join those ranks.

They're going to have a job shifting 80,000 tickets for this one too.

Maguire01

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 30, 2012, 07:35:42 PM
Could anybody  tell me who they wanted to play at Slane?, the reality is Ireland is like a backwater of Europe, and bands do a quick stop in on European tours and maybe you should be glad anybody wants to play here. outside of U2 who gonna fill Slane anyway?, Red Hot Chili peppers had 40,000 max at their croke park concert this year, some change from phoenix park 110,0000. Metallica probably the only one that might pull the crowd but they not everyone cup of tea. I think am past the Rhianna and Lady Ga Ga, stage so who else? With Bon jovi having 2 concerts 2 nites running at the RDS aback in 2011 they are probably looking at a band that they reckon will pull the crowd, but E80 is abit stiff, since i seen the foo fighters for £45 up north back 2 months ago. The days of pulling a big band like the original Guns N`Roses is long gone.
AC/DC would be the dream headliner.

Wildweasel74

would like to see them alright, but Brian Johnston vocal cords are on their last legs, ACDC next tour will be their last, when that will be no idea.

J OGorman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 30, 2012, 07:35:42 PM

absolutely not. Don't be underselling Ireland in the gig / tour stakes. It's a major player, has been for years and more so with the advent of file sharing and bands having to tour to make a pound. Name me a band that hasn't played Ireland in recent years.

Re suggestions for bands...hard enough one. Springteen, Cohen, Dylan? Doesn't excite that much as they all play regular enough.

If I was booking Slane, Id have went down the rock / metal route. There are no more loyal fans about than rock fans. A metal lineup of Maiden, Sabbath, throw in Therapy and the answer and she'll sell out in minutes. Or a more modern line up of Rage, Foo Fighters, the Vaccines. A hot sunny day in Meath with the guitars turned up to 11...I'd go

Wildweasel74

I have seen Iron Maiden, Metallica, foo fighters etc, all more than once. only way it would have worked would to have got maybe Metallica and the Foo Fighter on a double header, go down the download route as in England. Iron maiden pull about 25,000 over here compared to 40, - 100,000 in south America so they tend to opt for the O2 and Odyssey when over here. ACDC and Metallica would be nice lol

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 30, 2012, 07:45:07 PM

As far as i am aware it has very little to do with him, he just rents the site to MCD.

Lord Henry does organize them, must have been off his head when he organized this one

MCD pay Mountcharles for renting the land, and then they organise the concert, including booking the acts the other fellow is wheeled out now and again for publicity.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on October 30, 2012, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 30, 2012, 07:45:07 PM

MCD pay Mountcharles for renting the land, and then they organise the concert, including booking the acts the other fellow is wheeled out now and again for publicity.

Ah fair enough, he was hardly doing somersault's when he realised they got Bon Jovi.

Maguire01

Quote from: J OGorman on October 30, 2012, 08:50:36 PM
A metal lineup of Maiden, Sabbath, throw in Therapy and the answer and she'll sell out in minutes.
It wouldn't sell out in a year. Maiden and Sabbath would sell out the O2 - that's it. The other two might sell 1,000 tickets each.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 30, 2012, 07:36:59 PM
Bon Jovi struggled to sell 40,000 tickets for 2 RDS gigs last year. Hard to see how they will sell 80,000 Slane tickets at €80 a pop.
living on a prayer really

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2012, 08:42:32 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 30, 2012, 07:36:59 PM
living on a prayer really

I heard he's half way there
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore