Leinster Club Football Championships 2012

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2012, 11:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2012, 08:48:11 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 11, 2012, 09:00:23 PM
In general I think a club team needs to be reasonably dominant within their own county to do well at provincial level.
There are exceptions to the rule, but it's no coincidence that the last team we had that were competitive at the highest level were Dunshaughlin.
Dublin is probably a bit different in that the general standard of their championship is pretty high which makes it very difficult for any one team to dominate.

Killoe were very much surprise winners in Longford this year.

Fair enough but I wouldn't get too excited about beating Navan.
If they beat Portlaoise then they'll be bucking the trend.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Jinxy on November 12, 2012, 11:56:09 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2012, 08:48:11 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 11, 2012, 09:00:23 PM
In general I think a club team needs to be reasonably dominant within their own county to do well at provincial level.
There are exceptions to the rule, but it's no coincidence that the last team we had that were competitive at the highest level were Dunshaughlin.
Dublin is probably a bit different in that the general standard of their championship is pretty high which makes it very difficult for any one team to dominate.

Killoe were very much surprise winners in Longford this year.

Fair enough but I wouldn't get too excited about beating Navan.
If they beat Portlaoise then they'll be bucking the trend.

They don't do excitement in Killoe, let me assure you.  I wouldn't be giving them too much of a chance next time out - to be honest I was surprised they got to the county final, never mind winning it.  They'd have a reputation for honest endeavour, with Speedy McCormack's (if anyone remembers him) nephew knocking over the majority of the scores. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

QuoteSpeedy McCormack

One of the best. Would have made most county teams in Ireland at his peak in the early-mid 80s.

The Insider

Don't think Speedy is related to the 4 Mc Cormack's. Padraig and Sean are sons of Terry who's a selector, Joe is a son of Tommy who's team manager and Seamus is a son of Jimmy who was team manager of their minor championship winning side. No one could sell a dummy like Speedy, defenders knew what was coming but were powerless to deal with it. Colm Parkinson wrote them off completely on Newstalk tonight. Plenty in Killoe will remind him should the dream prevail and they become the first Longford Club to reach a Leinster club. Maybe a rural club in Longford but have 5 players with Leinster minor  championship medals , 1 All star nomination which if the system was fair would have collected an award and the 3rd highest scorer in the football championship in their midst.

Donnellys Hollow

QuoteLeinster JFC Final - 25/11/12 (2:00)

Castleknock (Dublin) v St Fintan's (Wexford) Venue: Parnell Park

Leinster IFC Final - 2/12/12 (2.00)

O'Connell's (Louth) v Monasterevan (Kildare) Venue: TBC

Good win today for Monasterevan. Kildare clubs seem to do very well in the Intermediate Championship.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Popped over to Newbridge for the match this afternoon. Dreadful conditions for football and no doubt that Ballymun handled them better. Sarsfields had most of the ball and territory but they were dreadfully wasteful in front of goal. Ballymun on the other hand were clinical. Overheard someone saying on the way out that Sarsfields kicked seventeen wides. That tells its own story.

Sarsfields had two great opportunities to level the scores before the Ballymun goal that decided it but snatched at both of them. Once Alan Smith went off they were in big trouble because he was their one forward that was showing some composure in front of goal. Ballymun look a well drilled side and they put a bit of a gloss on the scoreline in the final few minutes. I think they will go well in the final because they look a hardier team than Portlaoise.

Sarsfields will regret all their missed chances because this was a great opportunity for them to go one better than 2005 and 1999 and emulate their town rivals by winning the provincial title. There's no guarantee that they'll win the Kildare title again next year. Finally, Gary White will be some loss to Kildare next year.

INDIANA

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 25, 2012, 06:27:00 PM
Popped over to Newbridge for the match this afternoon. Dreadful conditions for football and no doubt that Ballymun handled them better. Sarsfields had most of the ball and territory but they were dreadfully wasteful in front of goal. Ballymun on the other hand were clinical. Overheard someone saying on the way out that Sarsfields kicked seventeen wides. That tells its own story.

Sarsfields had two great opportunities to level the scores before the Ballymun goal that decided it but snatched at both of them. Once Alan Smith went off they were in big trouble because he was their one forward that was showing some composure in front of goal. Ballymun look a well drilled side and they put a bit of a gloss on the scoreline in the final few minutes. I think they will go well in the final because they look a hardier team than Portlaoise.

Sarsfields will regret all their missed chances because this was a great opportunity for them to go one better than 2005 and 1999 and emulate their town rivals by winning the provincial title. There's no guarantee that they'll win the Kildare title again next year. Finally, Gary White will be some loss to Kildare next year.

Ballymun were very clinical I thought. Sarsfield unfortunately were a mirror image of the Kildare county side. Good in every aspect except being consistently able to score.

Shamrock Shore

Hard luck to Killoe - seemed to have given it a good lash and had Quinn's shot in the second half not been wonderfully saved....well, who knows.

Seemed all of Killoe were there.

Still no Longford club has made it to the Leinster final  :(

shark

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 25, 2012, 06:27:00 PM
Finally, Gary White will be some loss to Kildare next year.

He was a loss this year too seeing as McGeeney never picked him!  As an outsider looking in I can't understand how he has not been a mainstay in the Kildare team.

rodney trotter

Is Gary White heading abroad? Never played much with Kildare seniors, class u21 when Kildare got to the All Ireland final. Cavan will take him if ye don't need him
"low key transfer" ???

Swadman

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 26, 2012, 06:58:51 PM
Is Gary White heading abroad? Never played much with Kildare seniors, class u21 when Kildare got to the All Ireland final. Cavan will take him if ye don't need him
"low key transfer" ???
Would that be a swap for Jelly? 

rodney trotter

Quote from: Swadman on November 26, 2012, 07:30:34 PM
"low key transfer" ???
Would that be a swap for Jelly?

Yeah, but hopefully it wouldn't take 6/7 months for it to happen..

Donnellys Hollow

"low key transfer" ???

He's due to go to the Lebanon on a tour of duty with the army as far as I know. He was the best midfielder on view in the county championship this year and we're short of quality midfielders. Kevin Feely signing for Charlton Athletic today takes away another option for that position.

Alan Smith was having a scan today on his cruciate after being taken off injured yesterday.

rodney trotter

Smith would be a serious loss for Kildare. HE was very impressive the championship.

Might give Paul Gribben a run in the forwards, back from the AFL.

All of a Sludden

Half time in the Leinster Club IFC Final: O'Connells 0-0  0-1 Monasterevan
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.