Drivers Knock down cyclist in London

Started by ballinaman, October 21, 2012, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The Bus driver was wrong, but I hate these fecking cyclists with cameras, and next thing your story is up on You Tube, without context. Who knows what that lad was doing before hand? I think if we had dash mounted cameras on cars, and sent in videos of cyclists riding two or 3 abreast in a cycle lane, or up through the middle of traffic, or breaking red lights, there'd be a few horror stories as well.

Cycling in cities is very dangerous, because drivers have STILL not got the message that there is a third variable now, and I'm sure quite a lot of cyclists are getting clipped in the bike lane. The roads are tight as well in some parts of Dublin, to have a cycle lane, and it wouldn't take much of a mistake to hit a cyclist with a wing mirror or something. Scary at times.

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2014, 11:46:06 AM
Who knows what that lad was doing before hand? I think if we had dash mounted cameras on cars, and sent in videos of cyclists riding two or 3 abreast in a cycle lane, or up through the middle of traffic, or breaking red lights, there'd be a few horror stories as well.

+1
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thebigfella

The guy with the camera is a menace. Look though his YouTube page. As someone who cycles in Dublin everyday and at one point averaging 500km a week on a bike; I have had a few incidents but no where near the amount this guy has filmed. He's clearly putting himself in situations which could be avoided just to play the martyr. It's easy to be right when you lying under the wheels of a bus or lorry.

While the bus driver did mistakenly drive into the lane the guy on the bike should have a bit of cop on and not to cycle up the into buses/lorries blind spots irrespective on a cycle lane or not.

gerrykeegan

The Bus driver was wrong, but I hate these fecking cyclists with cameras, and next thing your story is up on You Tube, without context. Who knows what that lad was doing before hand?

Does it matter what the lad was doing. A bus pulls into a cycle lane, The cyclist could be killed. I have had two recent run-ins with Dublin Bus. One lad just pulled out across the road in front of me and stopped. I has nowhere to go. The previous night I had tightened the brakes, if I hadn't i was gone. I had a big bright f**king jacket on. The guards are another shower. I have chased three different cars into the garda HQ. I asked for one lad to be arrested, the copper on the gate said, you have to go to a garda station to make that request! I drive and I cycle. There is very little safety concern offered to cyclists by drivers IMO.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

Gerry the bus driver was wrong. No doubt about it. But my problem with these amateur videographers is that I think sometimes they are deliberately looking to escalate the situation simply because they have a camera. As I said a camera on a car would find several instances of cyclists being dangerous (albeit they can usually only harm themselves). Why chase after a lad and continue your aggro with him, just because you have a camera on your head. And then why post that on you tube so you can show how you stood up to the big bad bus drivers.

I have to remind myself to be mindful of cyclists in Dublin, and I'm not deliberately trying to kill someone. On left turns, I find it deadly dangerous, especially because cyclists don't necessarily notice indicators all the time either, and they are bombing up on your inside. I've never had an incident, and I'm getting much better at checking, but it's not a natural thing to do as a driver. You are watching for traffic coming from your right, or coming against you. You'd never be turning left across a line of traffic going the same way as you, so it's a brand new variable.  It's definitely something that I would say most vehicle drivers don't think about because the cycling in the city is still relatively new to people.  but I think some roads in Dublin with cycle lanes are not big enough for them, and I think cyclists themselves don't do themselves favours sometimes as well.

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 06, 2014, 12:33:38 PM

The guards are another shower. I have chased three different cars into the garda HQ. I asked for one lad to be arrested, the copper on the gate said, you have to go to a garda station to make that request!

It's happen 3 times now gerry?
You really need to be more careful and stop getting in their way...

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 22, 2012, 09:53:24 AM
On two seperate occasions i have chased coppers into Garda HQ in the Pheonix Park who have nearly ran me over , I was lit up like a f**king christmas tree. I asked could one of them be arrested! I drive and cycle and agree with Nifan "Some people are just selfish pricks - whether on a bike or in a car" when they are like that they shouldnt be on the road.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thebigfella

The Bus driver was wrong, but I hate these fecking cyclists with cameras, and next thing your story is up on You Tube, without context. Who knows what that lad was doing before hand?

Does it matter what the lad was doing. A bus pulls into a cycle lane, The cyclist could be killed. I have had two recent run-ins with Dublin Bus. One lad just pulled out across the road in front of me and stopped. I has nowhere to go. The previous night I had tightened the brakes, if I hadn't i was gone. I had a big bright f**king jacket on. The guards are another shower. I have chased three different cars into the garda HQ. I asked for one lad to be arrested, the copper on the gate said, you have to go to a garda station to make that request! I drive and I cycle. There is very little safety concern offered to cyclists by drivers IMO.

I'd disagree with that and think it's a bit of an overreaction to a few incidents. For sure there are loads of cnuts driving buses, cars, lorries and cycling but there are genuine mistakes too.

Everyone on the road has to be considerate; that includes cyclists understanding that these vehicles have blind spots; learning to read road conditions further than the vehicle in front; accepting that congestion will lead to more hazardous situations etc.... It's better try to avoid putting yourself in the position on the bike where you could potentially have a serious accident. Principles are no f**king good when a 20 tonne lorry is parked on your head.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: thebigfella on June 06, 2014, 01:02:51 PM

I'd disagree with that and think it's a bit of an overreaction to a few incidents. For sure there are loads of cnuts driving buses, cars, lorries and cycling but there are genuine mistakes too.

Everyone on the road has to be considerate; that includes cyclists understanding that these vehicles have blind spots; learning to read road conditions further than the vehicle in front; accepting that congestion will lead to more hazardous situations etc.... It's better try to avoid putting yourself in the position on the bike where you could potentially have a serious accident. Principles are no f**king good when a 20 tonne lorry is parked on your head.

On two occasions I could have been killed......this is an overreaction! On both occasion I had don't nothing wrong. I was lit up like a f**king lighthouse.

I drove for twenty odd years before I went back on the bike. I'm cycling about 8 years now also. The genuine mistakes I except. It's dliberate dangerous driving I cannot stand and I see alot of it. I have no time for bad cycling either.

DuffleKing

can a cyclist operate between lanes like that?

thebigfella

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 06, 2014, 01:14:11 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on June 06, 2014, 01:02:51 PM

On two occasions I could have been killed......this is an overreaction! On both occasion I had don't nothing wrong. I was lit up like a f**king lighthouse.

I drove for twenty odd years before I went back on the bike. I'm cycling about 8 years now also. The genuine mistakes I except. It's dliberate dangerous driving I cannot stand and I see alot of it. I have no time for bad cycling either.

I was referring to sweeping statement "There is very little safety concern offered to cyclists by drivers IMO" and not your particular incidents.

I'm cycling (competitively too) from my mid teens (20 years) and have been hit by cars on 3 separate occasions. Lucky I had no life threatening injuries and the other persons were solely at fault. They are isolated though; and not representative my every day experience of other road users.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2014, 12:40:36 PM
Why chase after a lad and continue your aggro with him, just because you have a camera on your head. And then why post that on you tube so you can show how you stood up to the big bad bus drivers.

Because it's the right thing to do. The driver here is a menace, and I don't see how the presence of the camera means you should shirk away from the confrontation. Well done to Liam Phelan for standing up to thuggery.

AZOffaly

Disagree, I think the camera just enflames the situation.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on June 06, 2014, 12:56:46 PM

The guards are another shower. I have chased three different cars into the garda HQ. I asked for one lad to be arrested, the copper on the gate said, you have to go to a garda station to make that request!

It's happen 3 times now gerry?
You really need to be more careful and stop getting in their way...

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 22, 2012, 09:53:24 AM
On two separate occasions i have chased coppers into Garda HQ in the Pheonix Park who have nearly ran me over , I was lit up like a f**king christmas tree. I asked could one of them be arrested! I drive and cycle and agree with Nifan "Some people are just selfish pricks - whether on a bike or in a car" when they are like that they shouldn't be on the road.
Belive me you couldn't make it up. It's the same spot everytime. Once time another copper observed what happened and had his head in has hands with what I can only guess was horror at what unfolded. My uncle who is a retired copper has advised me that I maybe shouldn't take on a copper! I'm 2014 "garda" incident free.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2014, 01:51:28 PM
Disagree, I think the camera just enflames the situation.

So it would be okay to confront the bus driver if he didn't have a camera?