Travel Tips Thread

Started by thejuice, October 17, 2012, 10:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Just thought I'd start a thread for anyone looking for travel tips as I'm sure there are plenty of well traveled folks on here.

I'll be heading off on a 3 month break in January. Starting in San Francisco and heading down Mexico way, then on to Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and on to South East Asia.

On a fairly austere budget of GB£50/US$77/€58 a day for two people. All our flights are paid for. Will be bringing a tent and sleeping on overnight buses to cut down hotel costs.

So I'm looking for tips for Fiji at the minute. Anyone been?

What are the absolute must see places, islands and any recommended routes?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sorry if there is already one of these threads on the go. I couldn't find it.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

JimStynes

Lucky you. I did a years travelling a few years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done! Are you tied down to just 3 months? You are trying to do quite a lot in such a short space of time.

Orior

My travel tip:

Never ever ever ever  ever   fly  Ryanair.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Pangurban

Captain Obvious

Yeah if you want to pay more to get from A to B then don't fly Ryanair.

thejuice

Quote from: JimStynes on October 17, 2012, 11:14:27 PM
Lucky you. I did a years travelling a few years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done! Are you tied down to just 3 months? You are trying to do quite a lot in such a short space of time.

Yeah only have 3 months, it  is a fair bit but doable  Only staying a few days in Australia and the usa. Will be spending more time in cheaper countries.

So have you been to Fiji?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

haveaharp

Quote from: Orior on October 17, 2012, 11:17:22 PM
My travel tip:

Why Orior, never had a bother, flybe i find to be the pits

Hardy

My travel tip:
Stay safe.

My tip for staying safe:
Try to make your number of landings equal your number of take-offs.

Orior

Quote from: haveaharp on October 17, 2012, 11:53:10 PM
My travel tip:

1) Airport 60 miles from the city you want to go to. Why would you fly to Dundalk if you want to spend a night in Belfast?
2) No handy pockets on the back the seat in front of you
3) Make one little mistake with the booking and you will pay three times the proper cost. For example, register someone as Miss instead of Mrs, or have a case which is the weight limit you pay 20 euro per kilo

and last but not least...

4) If you are paying for one extra kilo with a credit card, and they accidently debit your card twice then you have to write to the head office to reclaim the money from their mistake. Harrumph!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

I see Ryanair as kind of like a tricky game or obstacle course. If you can navigate your way around their website, click no when you mean no, don't leave the 'You consent to forfeit your first born' box checked, make no mistakes in the booking, then Ryanair is grand. Woe betide the potential traveller who strays outside the lines though. You'll be lucky to end up with a shirt on your back, never mind a bag in the hold.

My overriding emotion when I land somewhere with RyanAir is 'Yes, I've beaten them again'.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Orior on October 18, 2012, 12:35:10 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on October 17, 2012, 11:53:10 PM
My travel tip:

1) Airport 60 miles from the city you want to go to. Why would you fly to Dundalk if you want to spend a night in Belfast?
2) No handy pockets on the back the seat in front of you
3) Make one little mistake with the booking and you will pay three times the proper cost. For example, register someone as Miss instead of Mrs, or have a case which is the weight limit you pay 20 euro per kilo

and last but not least...

4) If you are paying for one extra kilo with a credit card, and they accidently debit your card twice then you have to write to the head office to reclaim the money from their mistake. Harrumph!

You should thank them for teaching you to keep your wits about you Orior - someone needed to ...  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 18, 2012, 12:39:30 PM
I see Ryanair as kind of like a tricky game or obstacle course. If you can navigate your way around their website, click no when you mean no, don't leave the 'You consent to forfeit your first born' box checked, make no mistakes in the booking, then Ryanair is grand. Woe betide the potential traveller who strays outside the lines though. You'll be lucky to end up with a shirt on your back, never mind a bag in the hold.

My overriding emotion when I land somewhere with RyanAir is 'Yes, I've beaten them again'.

Spotty dog, to be fair if you take your time and double check your booking there shouldn't be any problems.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

maddog

One you do need to watch is flybe with their return flight policy. I flew to Belfast on a single flight as the return i had originally booked had an outbound flight which no longer suited. So i went to get the return flight and they said it was cancelled as i had broken the contract by not using the original outbound flight. After a long argument they relented which surprised me but was told in future would have had to book a new flight entirely. Ryanair treat your outbound and return as two singles which i think is fairer. :o

RMDrive

Hoping to fly to Spain with Ryanair later in the year. My kids are 3 and 5 we'll be paying full whack for them and they will have a carry-on baggage allowance. My question is ... Can I carry their allowance? The plan would be that I would have a rucksack and a wheelie bag and one of the wanes, while the missus would have a wheelie bag and the other brat. I presume there is no issue with that? There's no crazy rule where the person has to be able to carry their own allowance?
Cheers.

muppet

Quote from: RMDrive on January 29, 2013, 08:44:17 PM
Hoping to fly to Spain with Ryanair later in the year. My kids are 3 and 5 we'll be paying full whack for them and they will have a carry-on baggage allowance. My question is ... Can I carry their allowance? The plan would be that I would have a rucksack and a wheelie bag and one of the wanes, while the missus would have a wheelie bag and the other brat. I presume there is no issue with that? There's no crazy rule where the person has to be able to carry their own allowance?
Cheers.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-cabinbaggage

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

Extra/oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £50/€50. Fees are subject to VAT on Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and German domestic routes at applicable government rates. If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

Smaller musical items such as a cello, guitar, violin or viola which exceed our cabin baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin if a seat for it has been reserved and the appropriate fare paid. There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.  To book an extra seat for an item the word "ITEM SEAT" must be entered as the surname and "EXTRA" must be entered at the first name. EXTRA ITEM SEAT will then be displayed on the reservation and online boarding pass. The accompanying passenger's travel document details must be entered during the online check- in process. Spanish Resident and Large Family Discount is not applicable on EXTRA seats.   Reserved seating in emergency rows 1,16 and 17 may not be purchased if you have purchased an extra seat for item/comfort

You must also fully comply with Article 8 of our Terms & Conditions of Carriage
MWWSI 2017