Ulster U21 Championship 2013

Started by cavanlad, October 11, 2012, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

No doubting Mc Currys ability. It's probably a bit early to expect much from O'Neill after his injury lay off. Always had my doubts about Grugan though. Did he start midfield? Definitely not physical enough to play this position!

bennydorano

Jesus Armagh were pish, having said that i thought Down were impressive, physically superior, faster & fitter,  played with purpose and to a well defined game plan, Armagh looked to be playing on the hoof. Half time subs made a bit of difference. big Findon making an impact, Ethan Rafferty made plenty of mistakes but at least he tried, same with Forker. The future isn't looking rosey i have to say.

At the risk of applying the Kiss of Death i wouldn't be suprised to see Down go close to AI honours.

Onion Bag

Is it possible that Donegal were the better team, very disrespectful, Donegal has not been mentioned in the last few posts
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Syferus

Quote from: bennydorano on March 20, 2013, 09:51:17 PM
Jesus Armagh were pish, having said that i thought Down were impressive, physically superior, faster & fitter,  played with purpose and to a well defined game plan, Armagh looked to be playing on the hoof. Half time subs made a bit of difference. big Findon making an impact, Ethan Rafferty made plenty of mistakes but at least he tried, same with Forker. The future isn't looking rosey i have to say.

At the risk of applying the Kiss of Death i wouldn't be suprised to see Down go close to AI honours.

That was a fine Armagh team at minor, robbed in their AIQF by a last second goal by Cork. Still think Down would be 3rd in Ulster alone, behind Cavan and Donegal. Tipp (or Cork if they can beat them) will be a serious challenge for whoever comes out of Ulster.

Throw ball

I think Down were a lot cuter than Armagh and looked very well coached. They will worry that they nearly got caught in a game were they were so much superior. If Armagh had have turned up in the first half it might have been a good game. On another note Armagh teams will need to learn to play against a sweeper.

yellowcard

The correlation between minor success and Under 21 success is over exaggerated.

snoopdog

Down with a game plan?? Can someone pass it on to wee james. ;D
Good win for Down bookies had us at 11/2 for Ulster.  Face the winners of Cavan Monaghan now. wont be easy with either.

Denn Forever

Cavan       1  16
Monaghan 1  12

after extra time.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

barelegs

Quote from: tyroneman on March 20, 2013, 09:47:34 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 20, 2013, 09:37:30 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on March 20, 2013, 09:31:03 PM
Gotta wonder why a team with mcCurry, o'Neill, Grugan etc has failed so badly.

Is it a case that these guys have been continually built up as well hearing how good they are etc since they won the minor AIs that they just haven't got that hunger/pure drive required to win at this level. There must be a certain level complacency at play.

Or maybe they just aren't as good as we think...
Maybe. Think mcCurry and O'Neill are good enough but the supporting cast ? Not so sure.

Had real high hope for Conlon and Grugan but neither seem to have pushed on.

Hope they get the hunger back or whatever they need to take the next step.

Last Minors to make a consistent Senior impact??

To be fair to Grugan I thought he made a real leap forward last year. His performances with Omagh last year were outstanding at times. I don't think he's too long back after injury either so I'd cut him some slack for that. I was looking forward to seeing how he would get on in the senior panel this year.

We've been waiting on a performance from the under 21 side for a long time now and they consistently haven't produced it.

trileacman

Strange to see Munroe fail at U-21 level since some people highlighted Liam Donnelly as the reason behind the failure at U-21 level.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

yellowcard

It's hard to know how good Down were tonight, Armagh were that poor it was hard to believe they had gotten exclusive access to the senior players for a month. Down were definitely physically bigger and had a clear gameplan (sweeper system) which Armagh lacked. Outside of Ethan Rafferty you would struggle to pick out any players capable of making the step up to senior level. Cavan will definitely give Down a much sterner test.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Gold on March 20, 2013, 10:43:27 PM
Antrim absolute pish

What you make of Derry? Very young team, nearly all underage next year!

Aaron Boone

Down v Cavan  Donegal v Derry in the semis.

Tyrone conveyor belt never had any wheels.

Wildweasel74

Hard to work out how good Derry is, Antrim had some good players but couldn't settle themselves and gave away some very poor goals. Derry are very young, but i move Ryan Bell to midfield, the games seems to pass him by at no.11. Speirs of Magehrafelt is very good. Ryan Ferris is injured i presume he still U-21. Missing due to long term injury would been the 2 1st choice midfielders, McGilligan and Bradley,