Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

How many angels are dancing on the head of your pin at the moment?

Would they be the skills applicable to inter county hurling or skills applied at a level below, ie club hurling, given your love for "levels"? Much as I would love to have even played senior club, those who I know who did and then went on to senior intercounty have told me that the two grades are miles apart. Keaney's return was remarkable - but the gifted players at the top of their games, in hurling, Gaelic, soccer and rugby are capable of remarkable feats.

With regard to skill, it is my opinion (not fact!) that acts of what we call "skill" in all the codes we talk about are made up of three things - quickness of thought, physical or mental bravery and better than average motor functions. If you have the first two, you can be a good to great player, if you have all three you can be a genius.

The first two are common to all the players I've given as examples, which is why I think the rugby players could happily prosper at the upper levels in any sport. And vice versa for Gaelic/soccer/hurlers, thought when it comes to rugby the motor functions take on a greater importance.

BennyCake

Totally avoided this World Cup malarkey until I was in the gym and a match was playing right in front of my face.

Really can't understand why this sport is hyped up like it is. What an absolute ass of a game.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on October 01, 2019, 12:20:45 AM
Totally avoided this World Cup malarkey until I was in the gym and a match was playing right in front of my face.

Really can't understand why this sport is hyped up like it is. What an absolute ass of a game.

I have friends who are mad into rugby union and despise rugby league. When I ask them has there ever been a time when the two were ever more similar it doesn't go down well. I guess all teams aren't like Ireland - some actually try to round round or past opponenets, not straight into them.

t_mac

It's a status thing Ruggers, more up market that GAA or Soccer, prawn sandwich brigade, and a complete balls of a sport.

Dinny Breen

Each to their own but inverted snobbery does amuse me.
#newbridgeornowhere

Orior

I could agree more, but not by much. And then to make matters worse there is the excitement about "The Lions"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

t_mac

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 01, 2019, 09:38:45 AM
Each to their own but inverted snobbery does amuse me.

Probably not as much as those wheeling out the "inverted snobbery" card amuses me.

nrico2006

Quote from: Orior on October 01, 2019, 09:39:44 AM

I could agree more, but not by much. And then to make matters worse there is the excitement about "The Lions"

The Lions hype is hard to understand.  They make a big deal out of combining 4 of the top 6/7 teams in the world to take on one of the other top teams and see it as some super amazing achievement if they win.  Same goes for the Ashes - two teams play every few years and its seen as a big deal when they win.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

quit yo jibbajabba

I'll add the Ryder Cup.

But hmon guys, NZ play Canada tomorro morn, dont tell me yis arent even a little bit excited?!

t_mac

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 01, 2019, 10:16:45 AM
I'll add the Ryder Cup.

But hmon guys, NZ play Canada tomorro morn, dont tell me yis arent even a little bit excited?!

Esmarelda

I agree with the snobbery remarks. I've zero interest in the game and I'm sure there are plenty to are attracted to it for the status element.

But I know plenty of people who like it because they enjoy the game, just like they do GAA, soccer or any other field sport. So what's the issue?

GetOverTheBar

I'm as working class as you get lads, like a good of football, soccer and rugby. No status here.

I love the intensity in rugby, stepping onto that pitch is a massive test of character. Of course the make up of rugby means you have some mismatches in this world cup, but come the quarter finals - you'll have genuinely 8 teams, all on their day can beat their opponent. The Rugby World Cup has led to some massive shocks - this one will be no different,

As for the game itself, as the old saying goes - There's a place for all shapes and sizes on a rugby pitch.

magpie seanie

I'll watch most sports and really want Ireland to do well. I've watched rugby all my life and usually enjoy it. I just find the hype and bandwagon absolutely nauseating. Like we're trying to make this game against Russia into some sort of momentous do or die battle. Connacht whipped these guys 3 weeks ago and Samoa also hammered them in the tournament. Yet we've articles about the roof being closed and the weather conditions.....give me a break. Ireland toured here 2 years ago and we've supposedly the greatest coach ever - surely the team is prepared for the conditions??? Ireland should put 60/70 points on these guys at their ease.

laoislad

I don't think the snobbery exists like it use to. Plenty of people I know love to play and watch rugby and they would be anything but snobs.
Personally I don't like the sport, I find it boring and not very entertaining. I hate the way its hyped up like the This is Rugby Country and Team of us nonsense.
I also hate Ireland's Call,  and while I know that's not unique to Rugby it is more associated with it than say Hockey who also use it.
I don't feel any connection whatsoever to the Ireland rugby team. Its also cringe the over the top reactions to a friendly win against a New Zealand C team or whatever.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.