Was it a free?

Yes
12 (22.6%)
No
41 (77.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: October 15, 2012, 01:43:19 PM

trileacman

The pats player was through for a goal after the keeper threw it away, those lads should be happy that is was only a point they conceded at the time.

Look at it this way, should the ref carry on its a goal to Pats. Given that the keeper has fallen and is surrounded by pats players, he'll probably concede a free for over-carrying when he stands up. Either way pats are going a score down. Storm in a tea cup.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Brave effort from the free too, would have got it with a stronger wind.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

blanketattack

You mean at the start of the clip? Yeah it looked like the no. 13 was taking a free alright.

wildrover

Quote from: LeoMc on October 10, 2012, 02:10:37 PM
Quote from: wildrover on October 10, 2012, 12:51:55 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 10, 2012, 12:39:58 PM
Do we know how many Pats players shouted "How long Ref"?

Completely irrelevant...

Dreadful Decision...

You think the referee is not influenced by player reactions?

The question put to us posters in the title of the thread was 'was it a free'?...I have answered that, in my opinion, it was not a free and was a dreadful decision...

The question was not 'Why do you think the referee blew for a free?'...This is what you appear to be answering and that is why I believe it to be totally irrelevant...

A referee has to be strong and make his own calls...by your logic whoever shouts the loudest wins....

blanketattack

Why didn't the goalie just punch it clear to the no. 6 who was in acres of space. That would have been the smarter option rather than catching it in an area that was like Times Square during rush hour.

RandyDupree

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  8)

Ard-Rí

Obviously not a free by any reasonable standard.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Pangurban

Definitely no free, ridiculous decision

criostlinn

Of course its a free, At 15secs in the clip you can clearly see the ref waving his hands in the air like some sort of an idiot making a gesture which obviously means over carrying. If the ref says its a free, no matter how retarded of a decision it is, its a free.

Seriously what a strange decision. Gone be the days, that ref would be thrown into the boot of a car pulling a decision like that in a wicklow club match.

Was that Austy taking the free ?

LeoMc

Quote from: wildrover on October 10, 2012, 03:36:18 PM

Completely irrelevant...

Dreadful Decision...

The question put to us posters in the title of the thread was 'was it a free'?...I have answered that, in my opinion, it was not a free and was a dreadful decision...

The question was not 'Why do you think the referee blew for a free?'...This is what you appear to be answering and that is why I believe it to be totally irrelevant...

A referee has to be strong and make his own calls...by your logic whoever shouts the loudest wins....

The question is "Was it a free?" The referee awarded a free therefore it is a free.
Anything else is just opinions and a discussion as to whether he should have or not. I was pointing out another influencing factor.

wildrover

Quote from: LeoMc on October 11, 2012, 08:30:31 AM

Completely irrelevant...

Dreadful Decision...

The question is "Was it a free?" The referee awarded a free therefore it is a free.
Anything else is just opinions and a discussion as to whether he should have or not. I was pointing out another influencing factor.

Do we know (All theoretical of course):

-If the referee is half blind and couldn't see;
-How many of the other teams fans were in the stand shouting obscenities at the referee;
-How much money the referee's brother had on the other team;
-How intensely that referee has a personal dislike of that goalkeeper after a family row over goats 16 years ago;

Influencing factors are a pointer to why the free might have been given...not whether it was actually a free or not...

Never a free...dreadful decision...

tommysmith

Quote from: trileacman on October 10, 2012, 03:29:03 PM
The pats player was through for a goal after the keeper threw it away, those lads should be happy that is was only a point they conceded at the time.

Look at it this way, should the ref carry on its a goal to Pats. Given that the keeper has fallen and is surrounded by pats players, he'll probably concede a free for over-carrying when he stands up. Either way pats are going a score down. Storm in a tea cup.

I dont think you are getting the issue here.
Do you think the keeper overcarried?

LeoMc

Quote from: wildrover on October 11, 2012, 09:43:34 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 11, 2012, 08:30:31 AM

Completely irrelevant...

Dreadful Decision...

Do we know (All theoretical of course):

-If the referee is half blind and couldn't see;
-How many of the other teams fans were in the stand shouting obscenities at the referee;
-How much money the referee's brother had on the other team;
-How intensely that referee has a personal dislike of that goalkeeper after a family row over goats 16 years ago;

Influencing factors are a pointer to why the free might have been given...not whether it was actually a free or not...

Never a free...dreadful decision...
:D

Lar Naparka

The ref blew up for a free and unfortunately he had the right to do so.
I suppose that's all that matters in the end.
But it was an incredible decision as the goalie took at most two steps before falling and promptly releasing the ball.
The ref had a clear view of proceedings and was standing just outside the large rectangle so he had to see what was going on. He could have blown for anything else and get away with it but not for over carrying.
Fix! ;)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

fitzroyalty

Harsh decision. Looks like one of those refs. The one that can't wait to blow fouls against one team but gives the other team all the leeway in the world.