Down v Derry 1994

Started by Mourne Rover, March 27, 2007, 12:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

1991....I was there and remember Jim McConville missing an absolute sitter!! If he had scored that goal, Armagh would have wonand  he would have changed the course of history........Meath would've won handy in the All Ireland Final ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Uladh

That was the day. the only thing worse than the weather was the football. brutal. abbey grammar student cathal o'rourke did indeed make his debut that day in the second half

Blue Island

Nonsense.

The best game of the nineties was Down Vs Armagh, Ulster Championship first round, 1991 in the marshes.
[/quote]

I was at the match and it was rubbish. It may have been a close affair, but it hardly compares with Down-Derry 94. Behind the wire is right, most people at the game thought you could'nt make a decent team out of both squads. Down's victory that year may have proved that view wrong, but it was how everyone felt after that game.

Ross Carr saved our bacon that day and many in Down thought at least we will get one more day out. Little did we realise.

Uladh

behind the wire

i take it you were taking the p*** uladh!!

was it a wet day? from what i can remember i wasnt allowed to go because it was too wet. was at all the rest of the games that season though.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Six Inch Nail

I was at the game too in the Marshes in 91.  I sat on top of the fence at the back of the goals at the quarry end - soaked.  Another point of note from that game, it was the first or second year that the free could be taken from the hand, but only the person who was fouled (the foulee if you will) could do so.  Anyone else had to hit it from the ground.  I'm not sure of the individuals involved but Down got a free late on, I think Greg Blaney was fouled, Liam Austin hit a quick free from his hands and a point was the result.  Down therefore won that All Ireland by default.  I'm only messing about the default, before you all jump down my trought.

I had a tape with Derry's All Ireland semi final and final in 93, two great games, great viewing.  For some reason they stand out with me as being better games than 94, although not alot seem to agree.  Also Enda Gormley scored a point which was alot better than James McCartan's.  Worked the full length of the field and involved 7-8 passes, deadly.  I would like to point out at this point that Down bias has noting to do with my opinions.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

brokencrossbar1

Nail I think I was standing below you huddled with about 5 others underneath an umbrella that day.  I remember the rain pissing down so bad that we kept sliding down the bank behind the goals.  I left that match and was talking to a Down man on the way out.  His words to me were that was the worst game of football he had ever seen and the pick of them wouldn't even win the Down championship that year.  If only the monkey had scored that goal :(

Will Hunting

Quote from: ross matt on March 27, 2007, 03:17:45 PM
McCartan's solo run up the sideline with Derry players hopping of him was amazing.

In fairness, it was more of a "run" - without a solo, or indeed a bounce of the ball in sight! It was just one of those days were everything went right for Down. But i'm not bitter or anything  ;)

turk

Excellent news! this was a great game!

realredhandfan

and to think nowadays all irelands are won in March. ::)

armaghniac

In 1994 Down started off with a game that suggested that the winner might win the all-ireland. In 1991 any of us at the Marshes would have pretty much been agreed with the sentiment that the pick of both teams wouldn't win anything. It isn't always easy to predict.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

Quotewas it a wet day? from what i can remember i wasnt allowed to go because it was too wet. was at all the rest of the games that season though.

..too wet ! ....jesus christ, how did we manage to lose an AI to you lot !

Dubh driocht

Was at the marshes in 91 and still have nightmares that Mc Conville scored against Collins.Usually shift my dreams to Celtic Park so thank you Rover for interogating the RTE guide.
Three other facts from that day.
Tony Scullion had a good game but literally never kicked the ball.
Ireland beat the World Cup holders in their back yard
A prominent Derry solicitor backed the wrong team twice! ;)

behind the wire

mike sheehy i was 6 at that stage. id say it was more to my da not wanted to listen to me yapping about being soaked the whole game. i remember the semi final of 91, can remember the kerry crowd not being happy that day.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Maximus Marillius

How did this thread progress from being one about one of the greatest games bewteen Derry and Down to a crap game involving an Armagh team that was crap at that time.