Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: tyroneman on May 14, 2013, 09:53:35 PM
Quote from: God14 on May 14, 2013, 04:39:25 PM
Has the referee being named yet for this battle?

Joe McQuillan

Reffed the first round match against Armagh last year brilliantly. Returned to being shite ever since.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Fuzzman

Jeeeeez lads its fierce quiet on here.

Have we no more news on injuries or anything?

Is young Morgan still playing outfield for Dungannon?

take_yer_points

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 16, 2013, 11:25:25 AM
Jeeeeez lads its fierce quiet on here.

Have we no more news on injuries or anything?

Is young Morgan still playing outfield for Dungannon?

There'll be some row when Edendork find out about that

nrico2006

Does he do much scoring for the seniors?  He scored a fair bit in the u-21's last year against Cookstown.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Oops sorry Dorkites

Looks like Cassidy is our biggest injury worry so far
From the Irish Examiner

Cassidy picked up an ankle injury in the closing stages of the National League final defeat to Dublin, and has been unable to train since.

"Aidan Cassidy is the worst of all and he hasn't trained fully with the team yet, so he is top of the list," manager Mickey Harte said last night as he reported a "mixed bag" of injuries.

Skipper and attacking ace Stephen O'Neill is back in full training after a freak ankle injury ruled him out of the league decider, and is set to lead the team at Ballybofey.

"Stevie is back training on Tuesday night, back with the full squad, which is great," said Harte.

"It's a mixed bag. PJ Quinn has been out with a back injury since that last game.

"Dermot Carlin has an Achilles injury which has kept him out, but he trained a good part of last night.

"Justin McMahon has been off and on with the usual niggles, but trained last night as well."

Defender Cathal McCarron continues to cause concern due to a dead leg he picked up in a club game last Sunday. "Cathal McCarron hasn't trained since he got a dead leg at the weekend, but I think it will not keep him out after this week.

"Apart from that, you have hamstring niggles, and things like that, but nothing serious that would count anybody else out."

Harte added that he would be in an impossible situation if asked to pick his team now for the May 26 tie.

"There would be too many people in doubtful positions to pick tonight, but the last eight or nine days coming into a championship match can be great healers."

illdecide

Tyrone have got serious hype for this game and most people fancy them to beat Donegal (not so much Tyrone people more media and neutrals)...I'm sure this suits Donegal as it'll take a bit of pressure of them. I think Donegal will win this by 1-2pts but Tyrone are more than capable of winning this one too...hard game. Maybe a draw and you guys will get your day out in Clones afterall...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Fuzzman

With McGuinness building a lot of the Donegal success around hard work, fitness & self belief, I would be worried that the confidence gained by winning the AI would be an important factor.
I don't think they'll underestimate Tyrone as they've saw us in the limelight a lot the last month or two

However, Jimmy is a master motivator and winning an AI brings a lot more self belief and confidence to their already strong game. Losing another AI can have the opposite effect as Mayo know

I think Donegal will have to be strict with their discipline in tacking as conceding frees in the previous two years was something they could get away with. It could well be a game with few scores from play.

nrico2006

I thought that Donegal looked unbeatable last year, but when you look back at the Tyrone game they were there for the taking as it was pretty evenly balanced but Tyrone were just lacking that bit of class up front which in my opinion they still are.  Until Coney and Ronan O'Neill get a good injury free run at it, Tyrone have few scoring forwards.  How sharp will Coney and RON be after a year out?  I can't see them being anywhere near their best this year to be honest.  McAliskey looks a good option though as does McCurry.  Surprised Lafferty hasn't got more time on the field, brings more to the table than McAliskey and McCurry in my opinion.  The year before Tyrone were the better side.  But with winning the All Ireland Donegal will find it hard to match the level they were at last year.  I know we all think that those players from Donegal will want to win, which they will, its just they will never have t hat hunger that they had for their first All Ireland.  I also can't see them going through the summer having the luck they had last year with injuries.  They are reliant on two or three key men and players will inevitably pick up injuries especially given the training and game intensity the Donegal players have experienced the past few years. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

We'll not know whether Donegal have the hunger or not till a game is on the line; most likely it'll happen this first day out. The groundswell of opinion seems to be that they won't and this is very much part of why Tyrone appear to be marginal favorites. If they don't have it this year, I'll have no complaints. There's always another season on the way.

It may be a tight.dogfight, but I can see either team, more likely Tyrone if Donegal just can raise themselves, pulling away to a four or five point win.

God14

I think Donegal will be more vulnerable in the USFC semi final (if they get there that is, big IF)

I just get the feeling that the players will be really up for this one particular match. 1st round, fresh, the minds will have been focussed on this date for 6 months now, home support as reighing All Ireland champions etc. Lets face it modern day Donegal respect Tyrone more than any other Ulster County

Redhand Santa

Mickey Harte is quoted in the papers today as saying he believes Tyrone are stronger than last year. It's hard to argue with that. Hopefully we'll have a fit Sean Cavanagh and Justy McMahon (fingers crossed) which would be a big bonus. Morgan in nets could be worth a few points. A number of players seem to have progressed this year during the division 1 campaign particularly the Donnelly's. There's also more options up front with the likes of Mcurry,McAliskey,Coney and Ronan O'Neill being available.

Donegal are building very quietly and given their stance to the league its hard to know what to make of them. I suspect if they are injury free they should be at least as good as last year. They have found a few players but no huge game changers at this stage. McGuiness believes he still had 20% or something like that to find in the current team so it will be interesting to see their progression.

Both teams will be going all out to win this. Tyrone really need it to build confidence if they're going to have a big year. McGuiness will want his year marked out and won't want the unknown and risk of injuries going through the backdoor.

I'd like to think the Tyrone players are as good individually as the Donegal team if we have everyone fully fit.  I'd disappointed if we got beat due to tactics or fitness (huge effort has been made this year here). Overall I'm therefore hopeful of a narrow win for Tyrone. But its going to take a huge battle.

rrhf

To give Donegal credit they haven't let farce of the  biting scandal annoy them too much. One of mc guinnessses biggest strengths is to be able to tiptoe quietly around crisis after crisi that affects them

Clann na nGael P.R.O.

Clann na nGael G.A.C. (Tyrone) are delighted to announce that they will host a Championship Talk Night in Aughabrack Community Hall on Friday 24th May ahead of the mammoth Donegal –v- Tyrone clash.

The event will feature legendary Ulster G.A.A. figures Peter Canavan, Benny Tierney, Tony Scullion and Brendan Devenney. For years they graced the game at the very highest level in Ulster and beyond and now, for one night only, they will come together to regale the audience with some of their best memories, anecdotes and banter to create a night of unrivalled entertainment.

Doors will open at 8.30pm with the event itself beginning at 9pm. Tickets priced at £10 each are on sale now from Adrian Conway (07766718150), Niall Conway (07875855354) and all usual local outlets, details of which can be found on the club's website www.cng.ie. Please note that the number of tickets will be limited so patrons are advised to purchase as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.

James Gatz

Any chance of getting a couple of tickets for this game anywhere? Going to be an absolute cracker, would love to be at it.

Fuzzman

The Armagh Grimley story is playing along nicely for Jimmy.

A lot of neutrals looking forward to this game as well. I hope we don't let them down.

I see there are still some Terrace tickets available from Tyrone clubs according to http://www.tyronegaa.ie/