Author Topic: Jimmy McGuinness  (Read 59247 times)

yellowcard

• View Profile
Re: Jimmy McGuinness
« Reply #360 on: June 12, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »
I suspect that LOI clubs would not be able to afford what Jimmy might be looking for and in all reality he has achieved nothing in soccer that would justify them taking a punt on him. The Tyrone job might be available next year and that would be a good fit for him.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 12, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »
Sacked 6 months into a 3 year contract.

I'd be happy enough

$$$$$$

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
Did McGuinness play any soccer ball? I donít recall him doing so.

If not, wouldnít it be tough to manage a team in s sport youíve not been immersed in all your life? Iíd have thought so anyway like.

skeog

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 12, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »
Finn Harps be the ideal job for him.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 12, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
Did McGuinness play any soccer ball? I donít recall him doing so.

If not, wouldnít it be tough to manage a team in s sport youíve not been immersed in all your life? Iíd have thought so anyway like.

He's played it, but not to any level that his GAA got to.

rosnarun

• Maigheo Abķ
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 12, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
Finn Harps be the ideal job for him.
Swilly Rovers I hear are looking for a manager in an attempt to rebuild
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 12, 2019, 05:27:21 PM »
Back with a million in his back pocket no doser Jim.

Sacked 6 months into a 3 year contract.

I'd be happy enough

$$$$$$

Anyone who thinks McGuinness was on anything more than very average money is utterly deluded.
While he probably got some sort of contract termination pay-off, there's no way he got the full 3 years of his contract paid after being fired with his record in competitive games was 1 win in 15.
According to this, the average attendance for Charlotte home games this year is 1,659.
https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-usl-championship-attendance/
There's no way in hell that a rookie manager for a team with those sort of numbers was making any sort of massive money.

As to what the future holds, I do remember seeing some stats a few years back about the number of one-and-done professional managers in the English divisions and I remember being shocked at how high it was in the lower divisions. Basically lads who were given a shot at management, failed and never managed professionally again. As such I would say that McGuinness's chances of another professional job are slim enough - the one thing in his favour, is that failing so hard happened in the US which is a little out of the spot-light.

Also it's interesting to note that last year Charlotte, won 10 league games and 15 league games the year before (there was 16 teams in the league last year and 15 the year before) which makes Jim's performance look even worse.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:45:20 PM by twohands!!! »

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 12, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »
Jim will always be a legend in Donegal for what he achieved. But can you imagine Stephen Kenny managing a GAA team and expecting him to be a success based on his exploits with Dundalk? They are different sports with different skill sets. The psychology of both games are different.

Charlotte looked to be a safe level for McGuinness to branch out on his own as a Manager. But it looks like he bit off more than he could chew.

Jim Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:29 PM »
Didnít Brolly once state that McGuinness would make a top soccer manager? Almost certain he did.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 12, 2019, 09:23:23 PM »
Jim will always be a legend in Donegal for what he achieved. But can you imagine Stephen Kenny managing a GAA team and expecting him to be a success based on his exploits with Dundalk? They are different sports with different skill sets. The psychology of both games are different.

Charlotte looked to be a safe level for McGuinness to branch out on his own as a Manager. But it looks like he bit off more than he could chew.
The main difference is money
Michael Murphy and the McGees played for Jim in Donegal but in soccer they would not have been with Charlotte. They would have been with the richest club as all stars .
He probably had players at the wrong level in addition to whatever else went wrong
Lookit

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 12, 2019, 09:40:12 PM »

Michael Murphy and the McGees played for Jim in Donegal but in soccer they would not have been with Charlotte. They would have been with the richest club as all stars .
He probably had players at the wrong level in addition to whatever else went wrong

I'd presume that the other teams in the Division did not have much money or All Star players either.  The Independence lost 5-4 on penalty kicks to lower-tier UPSL side Florida Soccer Soldiers in Open Cup. I presume they had even less money and All Star players.

ck

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2019, 02:11:24 PM »
The USL is a joke league. No relegation with small passive crowds. There would be more passion, money and crowds in League of Ireland.
I'd guess Jimmy thought it would be ideal to cut his teeth there rather than here. He'll be back managing GAA teams soon enough I'd say.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2019, 02:26:21 PM »
More likely back in the sports psychology stuff Iíd imagine.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »

He had the only ever USLC player called up to the USA squad playing along with loan signings from Celtic. Not sure he could ask for much more at that level.

GiveItToTheShooters

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 13, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »
The USL is a joke league. No relegation with small passive crowds. There would be more passion, money and crowds in League of Ireland.
I'd guess Jimmy thought it would be ideal to cut his teeth there rather than here. He'll be back managing GAA teams soon enough I'd say.
Letís hope not. The gameís bad enough thanks to him.