Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

He doesn't really care what people think.

It's not really a good attitude when trying to sell a book to those same people.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Thastheball on November 13, 2015, 12:31:27 PM
Quote from: highorlow on November 13, 2015, 11:03:07 AM
QuoteA lot of begrudgery about Jimmy in these parts.

I like Jim but it's the double standards that I don't get.

He could have left the piece about the Rory Gallagher clash out of this edition of his book and wait until the man is gone from the Donegal set up. If it's Jim's mantra "what goes on in the group stays in the group" then Jim has broken his own rule. If all he cares about is Donegal then he has let them down in this instance. I'd say he regrets some aspects of the book.

No one is begrudging.

maybe because the group doesn't exist anymore from the point of view what they were trying to achieve is over. For instance if Cassidy hadn't of said what he did, but said it now he couldn't be kicked out of the group because the purpose of the group is over. It can't be double standards the agreement that was mooted only applied to the time they we in the county panel with Jim as manager, it was a time fixed contract so to speak.
That's true and that's what McGuinness said in the interview, but at the same time he knew that quoting Gallagher as he did had the potential to cause trouble for him.
While it's not the same thing, it's also not very nice. :'(

ck

Some interesting commentary on this issue. I agree with the point on double standards. He compared his approach to Alex Ferguson, but in fairness Ferguson didn't disrespect the current united manager. Ferguson only commented on people and issues, ships that had sailed a long time ago. Jimmy commented about the man who is the current Donegal manager, that was wrong and I would guess that he regrets that now.

I thought his interview on second captains was great in that it told me more about him than anything previous. In Jims world he's never wrong and how dare anyone question him, when in fact it's blindingly obvious that we was wrong on a number of fronts (and right on so many others). He appeared to be an exceptionally stubborn character.

I too am sick listening to the Celtic crap "I'm doing my badges, I'm learning every day" blah blah. Personally I don't think he has a cat in hells chance of breaking into high level soccer as he simply won't be accepted. More power to him if he does though.

How the hell he has a wife and 5 young kids and is able and allowed to head off to Glasgow every week is remarkable and for some reason never questioned in interviews. perhaps its too personal.

skeog

ck many people travel to work jim be paid well at celtic  compared to what he could earn at home imo

Aaron Boone

Quote from: skeog on November 13, 2015, 01:46:26 PM
ck many people travel to work jim be paid well at celtic  compared to what he could earn at home imo
He can get to Glasgow quicker than Dublin sure.

ck

Yes but it's very strange that he doesn't bring the family with him to Glasgow!
I have 3 kids. Would kill me to be away from them very long.

Ps: no it's not quicker to get home from Dublin.

Rossfan

Isn't it the Donegal tradition? Daddy goes to work in Scotland, family stay at home.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2015, 10:14:48 PM
Isn't it the Donegal tradition? Daddy goes to work in Scotland, family stay at home.

In a bygone era, it might have been 'Jimmy's hokin' tatties'...

INDIANA

Jimmy can be summed up that it takes two rooms to have an interview with him.

One for Mc Guinness and the other for his ego.

He is simply the most arrogant manager I can remember in recent times. Will talk about things on his terms

For example- wax lyrically about beating Dublin and nothing about losing to Kerry because he lost it on the line.

BennyCake

Quote from: INDIANA on November 14, 2015, 02:33:12 PM

He is simply the most arrogant manager I can remember in recent times. Will talk about things on his terms

For example- wax lyrically about beating Dublin and nothing about losing to Kerry because he lost it on the line.

He's no different to any other manager, ie. a dictator.

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2015, 02:39:20 PM

Most of them manage a bit of humility in between. Jim couldn't spell it never mind exercise it.

Tubberman

Quote from: INDIANA on November 14, 2015, 02:52:35 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2015, 02:39:20 PM

Most of them manage a bit of humility in between. Jim couldn't spell it never mind exercise it.

You'd never make a manager so 😜
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

The rare mistake by Paul Durcan is the prime reason for Donegal losing that All Ireland. Not much the line could have done to prevent that.

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 14, 2015, 08:26:41 PM
The rare mistake by Paul Durcan is the prime reason for Donegal losing that All Ireland. Not much the line could have done to prevent that.

They could have bought him a baseball cap.

INDIANA

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 14, 2015, 08:26:41 PM

nothing to do with handpassing the ball across the half back line while being 4 points down.......