Farming.

Started by Family guy, September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: Nailer on February 06, 2016, 10:18:52 AM
Was reared on a farm but haven't been farming for years, recently inherited some land that was rented out for years and was badly neglected, stone ditches all need tidied up and in some cases fence erected on top of the ditch which isn't an easy operation. I've heard of metal posts being available where the wire clips in to the post and may be better than trying to use timber posts, any advice would be appreciated.

On a different note, really enjoyed some of the posts, especially around the calving, brilliant read and brings back memories when we were growing up.

You see very few metal posts in the countryside which makes me suspicious of their suitability to Irish farming. Grand for big roaming tracts of New Zealand maybe but not really here.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: wanderer on February 05, 2016, 04:32:01 PM
I work full time and have been left a small farm. Basically I am going to apply for the young farmers add on based on having completed my level 2 course, but I am worried that the extra money coming in along with my salary would push me into the higher tax bracket and leave me getting taxed heavily for what I almost expect to be a cost neutral hobby

With the way the young farmers add on is worded i.e. owning 51%+ of the business, I am wondering should I be registering a company and then doing my tax returns at year end when I can see what the balance sheet is like, and whether I want to reinvest in machinery, animals etc.

Has anyone done this before? How does it work? What are the negatives to the shareholders in the business? Does the business have to own the land, or can I do this as an individual and the animals/machinery are the assets?

Any help or suggestions would be great

It must be sizeably more than a small farm if your worried that the sfp will push up your taxes. As was said ask a decent accountant with clients in your situation, the country's full of them. Tbh no one here knows enough about your finances or situation to offer iron clad advice.

What I'm sure is that farming to a average degree at all will cost you money not be a net earner even with the payment. I wouldn't worry so much about heart tax returns, calculate how much you'll recieve in a year from payments and sale of cattle and count what you'll pay to feed the stock, maintain/buy machinery, upkeep on the land/yard and you'll find your income is quickly  pissed away.

trileacman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 24, 2015, 04:49:54 PM
Just wondering about people's experience with the gas dehorner. My current electric one packed in and I'm looking at a gas replacement. Guilbert Express is the model, little 60g gas canister for €5. Anyone know what I can expect to get out of a can?

I've had both, would use the electric one more because it doesn't run out. Gas is grand if your going round the country doing calves in old yards with no electric. I found once the seal was broke on a canister that was it used. Ie you could horn two calves today and go back in a weeks time and the gas had leaked out in the intervening time. Plus you'd never have canisters when you'd want them, electric is a near constant supply.

gaah_man

Quote from: trileacman on February 06, 2016, 12:18:41 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 24, 2015, 04:49:54 PM
Just wondering about people's experience with the gas dehorner. My current electric one packed in and I'm looking at a gas replacement. Guilbert Express is the model, little 60g gas canister for €5. Anyone know what I can expect to get out of a can?

I've had both, would use the electric one more because it doesn't run out. Gas is grand if your going round the country doing calves in old yards with no electric. I found once the seal was broke on a canister that was it used. Ie you could horn two calves today and go back in a weeks time and the gas had leaked out in the intervening time. Plus you'd never have canisters when you'd want them, electric is a near constant supply.

I use the Express gas dehorning gun, calves usually done at 6 weeks when the buds of the horns are starting to rise. Handy job and not too sore on gas.

Had to dehorn a few fresian calves for elderly neighbour before christmas using the horn cutters and old style iron. Was like a scene from a horror, plenty of blood squirting. Never again!

Hows the calving going? Not started yet due to the bull taking Red Water a week before going with the cows, put everything back 6 weeks.
Noticed he was a touch dull when feeding one day and managed to see that his urine was a dark colour. He picked it up from ticks which were nicely attached between his front legs. Another 48hrs and he would have been a goner!

NAG1

Quote from: wanderer on February 05, 2016, 04:32:01 PM
I work full time and have been left a small farm. Basically I am going to apply for the young farmers add on based on having completed my level 2 course, but I am worried that the extra money coming in along with my salary would push me into the higher tax bracket and leave me getting taxed heavily for what I almost expect to be a cost neutral hobby

With the way the young farmers add on is worded i.e. owning 51%+ of the business, I am wondering should I be registering a company and then doing my tax returns at year end when I can see what the balance sheet is like, and whether I want to reinvest in machinery, animals etc.

Has anyone done this before? How does it work? What are the negatives to the shareholders in the business? Does the business have to own the land, or can I do this as an individual and the animals/machinery are the assets?

Any help or suggestions would be great

I nearly fell over laughing at this post - a farmer worrying about taxes  :o

Farrandeelin

Fecking hell the weather is serious. Slurry is filling up in the tanks, nowhere to get it out. At least we have another pit of silage to go through, but the slurry situation is worrying.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Any full time farmers on the board?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

Part-timer Farr

Anyone use something like this
http://moomonitor.dairymaster.com
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hereiam

So details are starting to come out about how the CAP payment is going to be dealt with after Brexit. The current form will continue for 5 years after brexit but the government are going to look after the largest land owners first and foremost with the new policies they plan to indtroduce after the 5 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42559845

Largest UK land owners are:

1. The Forestry Commission
2. The National Trust
3. Defence Estates, for the Ministry of Defence
4. The Pension Funds
5. Utilities: water,electricity, railways
6. The Crown Estate
7. The RSPB
8. The Duke of Buccleuch & Queensberry

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/country-life/who-owns-britain-top-uk-landowners-20178

These 8 own a total of approx 2 million acres of land which at the moment is taking in some dough from europe.

I don't see where the beef/milk/sheep farmers are going to benefit from growing wild flower meadows

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 16, 2016, 03:47:44 PM
Any full time farmers on the board?

Actually, I was telling your dad I'm thinking of going back in milking full time

On a separate note, an argument on a different thread brought up VAT, any farmers on here registered for VAT? And if so how come?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

gerrykeegan

Farmers who have an annual turnover of 41k  from intra-community acquisitions must register. If you brought in equipment from somewhere in the EU
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Hereiam

Up in the north I would say most farmers are registered for VAT. I am anyway

trailer

Quote from: Hereiam on December 19, 2018, 09:46:08 AM
Up in the north I would say most farmers are registered for VAT. I am anyway

Yeah in the North and VAT registered.

BennyCake

Two questions:

1. Have a patch of land. Tall trees at bottom, which are getting a bit big and awkward. Probably would need to come down. But, if one were to fall/was blown into a neighbouring field, who's responsibility is it to clear it?

Also, if it were to fall and damage neighbours fencing, would I have to pay for or carry out the repairs?

2. Those same trees, if I were to cut them down low, say 6-10 foot from the ground. Would they grow new branches/leaves, for a lower cover/shelter? The trees are sycamore, birch and a kind of poplar, I think.

Any advice welcome.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: BennyCake on May 06, 2019, 09:11:37 PM
Two questions:

1. Have a patch of land. Tall trees at bottom, which are getting a bit big and awkward. Probably would need to come down. But, if one were to fall/was blown into a neighbouring field, who's responsibility is it to clear it?

Also, if it were to fall and damage neighbours fencing, would I have to pay for or carry out the repairs?

2. Those same trees, if I were to cut them down low, say 6-10 foot from the ground. Would they grow new branches/leaves, for a lower cover/shelter? The trees are sycamore, birch and a kind of poplar, I think.

Any advice welcome.

You would have to be responsible for any damage. No?

There's no guarantee the trees will stay topped. Sycamores grow and grow from every angle.