Author Topic: Farming.  (Read 33141 times)

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
Re: Farming.
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
Some fantastic stuff on this thread now. Makes me realise why everyone should love farmers. Their caring attitude towards the countryside, their courteous attitude towards the rest of the society and their concern that their actions won't impact adversely on their fellow man is to be commended. You'd never hear those guys come out with anything that could remotely suggest a 'world owes me a living' mentality.

Should you not be away hand wringing over the next impending disaster and screaming (not too loudly though, incase ye'd hurt yer delicate wee voice box or someone else's little sensitive ear drums) about how its all a blatant disregard for health and safety?
i usse an speelchekor

johnneycool

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »

Family guy

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2012, 07:56:52 PM »
We were  building a tank the day,couldnt help but think of them 3 poor souls who died last week,this tank were at is 14 foot deep,16 foot wide and 35foot wide,you wouldnt stand a chance if you fell in 2 it

lawnseed

• what your mind doesnt know your heart fills in
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »
We were  building a tank the day,couldnt help but think of them 3 poor souls who died last week,this tank were at is 14 foot deep,16 foot wide and 35foot wide,you wouldnt stand a chance if you fell in 2 it
you mean you pouring the tank, surely your not trying to build a tank 14ft deep. tell us your shuttering...
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
Is the modern spec any better?  outside mixing, that type of thing.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
Is the modern spec any better?  outside mixing, that type of thing.
Not really, a hole is a hole.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

screenmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »
Not that I am any way up on slurry pits/tanks, etc. but is there ever any legitimate reason why someone would have to enter a slurry pit after it has been built and if not could they not incorporate ventilation that is safer than a hole in the ground? 

If there has to be any entrance into the pit could it not be covered with an iron grid to prevent any accidental access by man, dog, etc.

It seems awfully dangerous and silly to have an open hole that if someone fell or climbed into there's a good chance they won't come out of it.  If an environment like this existed in any other place of work health and safety would have a field day, although I appreciate that farmers probably need to strike a balance between what is practical and what is totally safe but it is life and death at the end of the day...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

lawnseed

• what your mind doesnt know your heart fills in
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
Not that I am any way up on slurry pits/tanks, etc. but is there ever any legitimate reason why someone would have to enter a slurry pit after it has been built and if not could they not incorporate ventilation that is safer than a hole in the ground? 

If there has to be any entrance into the pit could it not be covered with an iron grid to prevent any accidental access by man, dog, etc.

It seems awfully dangerous and silly to have an open hole that if someone fell or climbed into there's a good chance they won't come out of it.  If an environment like this existed in any other place of work health and safety would have a field day, although I appreciate that farmers probably need to strike a balance between what is practical and what is totally safe but it is life and death at the end of the day...
theres a bit of a quandry concerning slatted tanks. there is a type of slat you can buy for mixing the tank. slat makers called them safety slats but farmers call them mixing slats. this contradiction of terms will give you an insight into the mindset of those involved in farming an its ancillary industries
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

orangeman

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
Spring has sprung as they say.

I saw my first silage being cut last Thursday. Anyone seen any grass being cut earlier than that ?

sensethetone

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »
Spring has sprung as they say.

I saw my first silage being cut last Thursday. Anyone seen any grass being cut earlier than that ?

silage!! at this time of the year, our donkey's are still eating the rushes among the bushes ffs. :o

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »
Framing really is getting more intensive. Any man cutting silage at this time needs to be dragged out of the tractor and bate with the PTO shaft.

giveherlong

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
In parts of Antrim and down I've seen a few milk farmer operating zero grazing systems so are cutting with silage wagons all year round

On another note the end of milk quotas next year means a lot of people are considering going into milking and those at it already will be producing more

johnneycool

« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
In parts of Antrim and down I've seen a few milk farmer operating zero grazing systems so are cutting with silage wagons all year round

On another note the end of milk quotas next year means a lot of people are considering going into milking and those at it already will be producing more

Has the price per litre gone up?

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
I've been doing a lot of work on Robotic farms the past few months.
They are some job,amazing how they can train the cow to come in to be milked on their own accord.
The Robot itself is a fine piece of machinery. Very expensive to get installed but all the farmers I've spoken too swear by them now.
Joe Mcdonagh Champions 2019

giveherlong

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Milk is as good a price as it has been for a number of years. Supply and demand in next few years could push it down.
Lamb is good price at present
Beef is back a bit