Joe Canning has a go at Shefflin for moaning at referees

Started by Premier Emperor, September 13, 2012, 07:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Canning's interview was excellent - listened to it in it's entirety last night and couldn't find anything wrong with what he said. Know I see this morning that Eddie O'Connor and Keher have come out to defend Henry's honour - what a crock. Jaysus I hope Galway beat them by 20 points

orangeman

Quote from: Declan on September 14, 2012, 10:35:37 AM
Canning's interview was excellent - listened to it in it's entirety last night and couldn't find anything wrong with what he said. Know I see this morning that Eddie O'Connor and Keher have come out to defend Henry's honour - what a crock. Jaysus I hope Galway beat them by 20 points

Kilkenny great Eddie Keher has voiced his disappointment at Joe Canning's comments questioning Henry Shefflin's sportsmanship.

Galway's Canning accused Shefflin of being unsportsmanlike during the drawn All-Ireland SHC final between the counties last Sunday, while also claiming that the Cats were 'cuter' when dealing with referees.

Canning said: "In one instance in the first half, Henry ran 30 or 40 yards down the field and was giving out to Barry Kelly and Damien Hayes for a free.

"That's not sportsmanlike either at the same stage. That's the way it goes - that's probably the experience they have."

And six-time All-Ireland winner Keher has entered the argument telling the Irish Examiner: "All the comments coming from Kilkenny after the match were very complimentary towards Galway and towards Joe Canning himself, the way he took that last free.

"I think that's a very disappointing comment to make about probably one of the greatest hurlers to ever play the game, and a thorough gentleman at that.

"We'd hate in Kilkenny to have someone of the stature of Joe Canning making a remark like that."

"We'd hate in Kilkenny to have someone of the stature of Joe Canning making a remark like that" - Eddie KeherKeher went further in his defence of Shefflin, adding that Galway were themselves guilty of trying to influence the referee by diving: "How would Henry influence a referee? Everyone is getting at Kilkenny for the last while, trying to turn everything against us.

"We know everyone outside Kilkenny would like to see us beaten but all this talk of influencing referees. What way did we influence the referee against Tipperary?

"Fellas from Kilkenny get belted and just get up, get on with the game and that's the kind of manly behaviour I like to see in hurling. Don't be lying down looking for the free or for fellas to be carded.

"It's very irritating and it happened last Sunday, [Galway] fellas diving a bit when Kilkenny were getting on a roll and the medics coming in, to try to slow the game down. There was a lot of that kind of thing going on."

AZOffaly

Eddie is losing the run of himself a bit. That's a couple of 'ultra defensive' comments he's come out with recently, I think the last one was in relation to Tommy Walsh or something. Accusing Galway lads of lying down is a bit rich when Iarla Tannian nearly got his shin broke from a wild pull and kept going until he had to sit down about a minute later. He certainly wasn't looking for anyone to get a card.

The Wedger

The 2 Eddies are just mouthpieces that the media always go to for a controversial quote.

AZOffaly

Eddie Keher was some player in his time. A great stickman.

trileacman

Quote from: orangeman on September 14, 2012, 10:44:05 AM

"I think that's a very disappointing comment to make about probably one of the greatest hurlers to ever play the game, and a thorough gentleman at that.

The usual "great players are beyond reproach" argument. Sean Cavanagh and star have been milking this for years.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

homeofhurling8

Jaysus I'm shocked that Eddie Keher watched the game at all, sure didn't he tell all and sundry in 2010 that nobody in Kilkenny would have any interest in a back door All-Ireland, he also moaned about Tommy Walsh being floored off the ball a couple of times and getting no free, that sound of laughter you can hear is the sound of every forward who has ever had the misfortune to wander into Tommys sights pissing themselves, i think Tommy is still substantially in credit when it comes to "flooring" off the ball Eddie ;)

AZOffaly

Star is not a 'great player'. He's a very effective weapon when he's on his game. But I digress.

Croí na hÉireann

+1 The KK lads don't like it when you give it back or tell it straight. Plus Codys reaction towards the end of the game said a lot. The doubts are sowed big time. Now can Galway finish the job?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

spuds

Joe's comments were blown up a bit by the media, the audio on joe.ie is worth listening to to understand how casual he was talking about Shefflin and Kilkenny being cuter. Hope this does not distract Canning from the unfinished job he and Galway have on the 30th.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

seafoid

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 14, 2012, 12:40:42 PM

+1 The KK lads don't like it when you give it back or tell it straight. Plus Codys reaction towards the end of the game said a lot. The doubts are sowed big time. Now can Galway finish the job?

This was in the Connacht Tribune last year..

."Where does Galway hurling go from here? There must be a root and branch review to determine where the county is at and what it needs to do to challenge for top senior honours. The key weakneses at senior level must be identified and addressed at the earliest opportunity. For the most part the focus in Galway has been on the small skilful exponent with the larger perhaps more cumbersome player consigned to the margins. Given the tribesmen's lack of physicality at the top level these players could easily be the future of Galway hurling"

And so it was
And the cats don't like it.

Premier Emperor

The 2 Eddies are the militant wing of the Kilkenny PR Machine.
In a few days the nice guys will be brought out to tell us what a lovely guy Henry is.

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 14, 2012, 03:19:19 PM
The 2 Eddies are the militant wing of the Kilkenny PR Machine.
In a few days the nice guys will be brought out to tell us what a lovely guy Henry is.
presumably cody has switched the operation to full persecution mode at elverys nowlan park.

Syferus

You couldn't script it any better than one star ripping into the other. As if an All-Ireland final replay needs any extra spice, it's been delivered right on cue. Can't wait for the rematch.