An Fear Rua - Gone!!!!!

Started by Dinny Breen, September 11, 2012, 12:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bp

Quote from: RMDrive on September 14, 2012, 03:12:12 PM
Quote from: bp on September 14, 2012, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2012, 02:57:47 PM
dont' worry, there's no such constraints on newbies here. If you act the maggot, you get the road, but you have to nearly be looking for it :)

Complete reverse of AFR, where the decent posters were more likely to get the road, and the persistant maggot-acters escape scot-free.

Perhaps. I'm sure AFR was a decent site. I never got into it because it always seems very Munster-ish rather than AI. Of course the same thing could be levelled at Gaaboard, there's a dominant Ulster membership with a good gang from Mayo.
New blood is important for an forum, things get stale quickly enough if you have the same heads arguing about the same thing all the time.

Lot of lads from Clare and Limerick particularly on AFR, often looked in here without registering over the years - very much a an Ulster and north Connacht base of posters, which is fine - but you don't get much hurling chat out of the Fermanagh lads 

AZOffaly

I'd love the hurling part of the board to get an influx of new contributors.

RMDrive

Quote from: bp on September 14, 2012, 03:24:11 PM
dont' worry, there's no such constraints on newbies here. If you act the maggot, you get the road, but you have to nearly be looking for it :)

Complete reverse of AFR, where the decent posters were more likely to get the road, and the persistant maggot-acters escape scot-free.

Perhaps. I'm sure AFR was a decent site. I never got into it because it always seems very Munster-ish rather than AI. Of course the same thing could be levelled at Gaaboard, there's a dominant Ulster membership with a good gang from Mayo.
New blood is important for an forum, things get stale quickly enough if you have the same heads arguing about the same thing all the time.

Lot of lads from Clare and Limerick particularly on AFR, often looked in here without registering over the years - very much a an Ulster and north Connacht base of posters, which is fine - but you don't get much hurling chat out of the Fermanagh lads

Aye, but how do these things ever change unless people with different interests join in? Perhaps an influx of AFR folks would shift the balance here.

blanketattack

Quote from: bp on September 14, 2012, 03:24:11 PM

I wouldn't go along with that generalisation, you'd get lots of hurling chat out of these Fermanagh lads...

bp

Ha ha.....very good, wel done  ;D

................I should've said Leitrim  ;)

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: bp on September 14, 2012, 02:54:31 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on September 14, 2012, 02:47:16 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 14, 2012, 02:35:20 PM
Time for the mods (howyie lads) to give newbies some provisional rights only until they have proved that they can engage on a meaningful level - rather than at a 'schoolyard taunts' level that you'd see on Hoganshite.com

In other words (say) cannot create new threads until 100 posts are reached for one thing.
Not allowed to use a hotmail/yahoo mail account.

etc

*runs for cover*

Over at YBIG they have a policy where a newbies first 10 posts maybe (not sure on exact number) have to be approved by a mod first.. Probably time consuming on a Mods behalf but it would stop a certain amount of tripe..

Feic sake lads, just two posts and there's allegations of tripe, and recommendations for special " provisional " status, I'm not exactly the mujahadeen about to ride into town

That wasnt aimed at you!.. More at the summer holiday types.. One buck had six posts and four of them were threads!. 

bp

No worries, no offence taken, though if you forgive just one more generalisation - I would be inclined to get a bit nervous if Northern lads were aiming at me  ;)

...oh and it's a while since I had summer holidays  :-[

Shamrock Shore

Oh Jesus - don't be poking dem Northern bize.

They get offended horrid azy.

bp

...it's the underactive sense of humour I suppose  :P

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2012, 03:28:14 PM
I'd love the hurling part of the board to get an influx of new contributors.
a few kk heads and an influx of tipp wallahs (no premier, imperial or home of hurling references in names please) and a selection of wexford and rest of munster would be a great addition . I must say though that the chat that follows another fallow year for the less successful ulster fuball counties on here is very interesting . Hardstation's posts the evening the saffrons beat galway were magic. It isn't about all irelands most of the time.

Syferus

I think the lad's speaking a mountain of guff there. Sure of course it's the 'despair of the nation' and not his widely reported insanely inconsistent moderation that wrecked the forum.

He's coming across as an incredible spoofer, and I don't hand out those words gladly. All the coverage is likely only going to increase what clearly are personal issues inside him and not inside some forum's fabric.

ONeill

Thought the same about that article. Looks like he has the meedja eating out of his hands about nothing. I don't know anyone who used AFR nor have I ever heard anyone mention it. I'm sure it was popular in some pockets of the country.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ONeill on September 15, 2012, 02:06:49 PM
Thought the same about that article. Looks like he has the meedja eating out of his hands about nothing. I don't know anyone who used AFR nor have I ever heard anyone mention it. I'm sure it was popular in some pockets of the country.

It was a hurling centric forum really. I'd say 95% of the posters there were from hurling counties.

joe bloggs

I would be one of those 95% you are talking about. I would have little interest in football, so afr was a good spot to hang out.
Anyway its gone now but I'm sure there will be plenty to chat about here

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: EwanMacKenna on September 15, 2012, 12:21:55 PM
Hope this doesn't alter the balance of posters too much but might be of interest to some given ye are on the subject... http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/post-the-sad-news-an-fear-rua-is-gone-207669.html

Maudlin shite.