Price reductions for replays

Started by blanketattack, September 10, 2012, 11:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Last night on TSG they were calling for prices to be reduced to half-price for the hurling replay which I thought was incredible as the GAA are guaranteed a full house and €6 million in revenue from the replay if they keep them the same.
I don't remember any such demands in '00 or '96.
However outside of finals I think there should always be a discount for replays especially if the first game had another game on like a double-header or a minor game.

Cyril Farrell fan

Reduced to €50 and €25 for the hurling replay.

johnneycool

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on September 10, 2012, 11:50:50 AM

For whoever can produce the original ticket stub I'd say.

orangeman

Fair play.

I didn't expect them to do this.

Respect.

Tony Baloney

Credit where due. Didn't "grab all" this time. Classy move.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 10, 2012, 11:52:29 AM

Stub??? When was the last time you were given a stub when handing over your ticket? They just scan the thing. Being doing that for years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2012, 12:48:59 PM

Stub??? When was the last time you were given a stub when handing over your ticket? They just scan the thing. Being doing that for years
Figure of speech I would assume! Anyway, I would reckon this a blanket price regardless of attendance yesterday.

Woman in work (from Armagh) was at her first match yesterday with husband and 3 wanes! No hassle getting tickets there!

blanketattack

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 10, 2012, 01:18:14 PM

Woman in work (from Armagh) was at her first match yesterday with husband and 3 wanes! No hassle getting tickets there!

Bringing the missus and 3 kids costs €400 - ouch!
At least the replay would only cost €250.

Milltown Row2

Figure of speech I would assume! Anyway, I would reckon this a blanket price regardless of attendance yesterday.

Johnney is big enough and ugly enough to reply for himself :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Right, I'll call it the 'thing they scan and hand back to you' then.

Hope you get the jist.

deiseach

If she turns up at the football final she'll be getting a Pat Spillane for her troubles

Rossfan

Quote from: blanketattack on September 10, 2012, 02:35:39 PM

Bringing the missus and 3 kids costs €400 - ouch!
At least the replay would only cost €250.
Well if they have it sure they might as well spend it  ::)
Nobody forced them to go.

Fair play to the GAA especially for the €10 kids tickets.
I presume there will be less neutrals at the replay and tickets should be more easily obtainable.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 10, 2012, 02:57:38 PM

Right, I'll call it the 'thing they scan and hand back to you' then.

Hope you get the jist.

No problem, I aim to please

prewtna

will the ticket distribution system be the same for the replay?

as in, will every club in every county get their tickets this time round also??

it doesnt affect me, im just curious.

Lone Shark

I'm actually in two minds over this. On the one hand it's nice for the GAA not to be seen to be gouging supporters and they were right to garner a bit of positive PR out of this. However an All Ireland Final is a special occasion and it's a privilege to have your county be part of it. In fact I'd go so far as to say that if you don't think like that, you shouldn't go.

On days like this the GAA draws in money from all over the country, including a lot of bandwagon supporters who don't really take an interest until the "big day out". By reducing the price of a ticket for the replay in a fortnight, you ease the burden on them.

But how about easing the burden on the real GAA folk instead?

I'd have loved to see something along the lines of this from the GAA:

"The unprecedented situation that currently exists, where the minor and senior hurling finals both ended level, will of course lead to a financial bonus for the GAA. There have been calls for the GAA to reduce ticket prices for the replayed fixture and we've given those calls due consideration. However while we agree with the underlying sentiment, that we should look to reduce the cost burden borne by the GAA supporting public, we would prefer to give back to a regular patrons, those people who support their clubs, counties, and by extension, the GAA as an entity, all year long.

To that end, we will maintain our existing pricing structure for the All Ireland hurling final replay, but we would like to make the following gestures with the surplus revenue generated:

(1) The first home game for every county in next year's National Hurling League will be free to attend for all supporters. Based on 2011 revenues, this is equivalent to a subsidy to the GAA patron of (XXXX - let the GAA fill in the number here). Note that for supporters who travel to away games, this is two free games.

(2) All season tickets next year will be reduced by €XX per ticket, which based on 2011 numbers, will be worth (XXXX - as above)

(3) A one off fund of €XXXX will be created and clubs will be invited to submit applications for a share of this fund for the purposes of development and improvement.

(4) A payment of €XXXX will be made to the LGFA to defray expenses involved in the moving of the Ladies Football All Ireland Finals.

The above measures will cost €XXXX in total, which is the equivalent to €30 per full price ticket for next week, based on an attendance of 75,000. We feel that while the supporters of Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin and Tipperary will be put to the expense of a second match ticket, they received great value for money at Croke Park last Sunday and the supporters of all the other counties would gladly swap places if offered the chance to watch their own county hurl on All Ireland Final day. That is why we have chosen to divert the extra money that could have been given back by way of lower ticket prices, into the pockets of GAA supporters all across Ireland. 

As I said, I'm still not convinced which was the right way to go and I'm glad the GAA did something - but instinctively I'm inclined to think that something along the lines of the latter would have been the better way to go, and only the bandwagonners would have been annoyed.