New Monaghan manager

Started by ck, September 09, 2012, 12:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Did they initially offer the job to a different O'Rourke?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

rodney trotter

Aidan O Rouke.

Will Monaghan be competitive under MOR or actual contenders Maguire? I remember you tried to explain the difference to me before, because Monaghan were and always are contenders for the Ulster and All Ireland you would have known well what being contenders was. ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 14, 2012, 08:33:33 PM
Will Monaghan be competitive under MOR or actual contenders Maguire? I remember you tried to explain the difference to me before, because Monaghan were and always are contenders for the Ulster and All Ireland you would have known well what being contenders was. ;D
I explained the difference? I thought we agreed that being competitive and being contenders is essentially the same thing.

rodney trotter

Every team aims to be competitive, as why else would they leave the dressing room. If Kilkenny footballers were playing Mayo or Donegal they woud never expect to be contenders as that would be beyond them, but they would aim to at least be competitie to avoid a hammering by 40pts, and i dont mean contending to aim to win the match,.

Maguire01

Yes, but aiming to be competitive isn't quite the same as actually being competitive. If you're competitive, then it follows that you're competition... if you're competition, then you must be a contender.

DuffleKing

Surely monaghan will stroll out of division 3 for a start?

Bingo

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 19, 2012, 09:41:19 AM

To Div 4 perhaps?  ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 19, 2012, 09:41:19 AM
Not sure about 'stroll', but failure to gain promotion would be a very poor start for the new management team.

oakleafgael

Well are the naysayers any more satisfied with his appointment now?

yellowcard

Brilliant achievement by O'Rourke, tactically a very shrewd manager and his track record speaks for itself. Won an Ulster club with the Loup, should have beaten Armagh in the Ulster final in 2008 when beaten by a point in a replay and now winning an USFC with Monaghan. Has had consistent success with what many would have perceived to be lesser sides. Thought I read somewhere before that he is an Errigal Ciaran club man yet he is a Fermanagh man, so where are his allegiances?

Gaffer

He is a schoolmaster in Ballygawley so that's how he came to be an Errigal man though I would imagine his loyalties would lie with Fermanagh.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Dont Matter

Was trying to find out more about O'Rourke's record so looked up the wikipedias. He doesn't have a wikipedia page but a Monaghan GAA page came up. Whoever wrote it seems a bit slow, might have been Dick Clerkin.
Did Monaghan get 5 players sent off against Cavan in the league and was the league put off for 3 weeks cause hurling had to be played and the 6 nations was on? Did they get a game changed from Inneskeen to Clones for reasons never explained?
Is this true?
"Monaghan beat Kildare in a semi-final to reach the 1930 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final, where Kerry beat them by 3-11 to 0-2 without their goalkeeper touching the ball."
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 09, 2012, 08:23:03 AM
Nice spin FermGael!

Not too sure what to make of this appointment. We've just managed to lose a manager who delivered two relegations... and we're replacing him with a manager who led his last county team to two relegations. At this rate we'll need a division 5!

The 3-man shortlist was hardly inspiring. I can't really understand the logic in going outside of the county if you're not going to land a high profile man with a track record of success.

Having said that, he's appointed now, so good luck!

Lols

haranguerer

Quote from: ck on September 09, 2012, 09:28:25 PM
Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, I'm indebted to you.

Your over enthusiasm for Mal O'Rourke seems a little mis-placed. His only county experience was distictly average. He flopped with Fermanagh no matter how you try to spin it. As for your jibe about him being better than Aidan O'Rourke. How do you know? Where you on the interview panel?

More lols

haranguerer

Quote from: ck on September 11, 2012, 09:25:06 PM
Would the general consensus on here be that all three candidates for the Monaghan job were just a bit below the perceived required standard leaving Monaghan people underwhelmed?
Apart from a few Fermanagh lads telling us how big a deal Mal O'Rourke is and ignoring the fact (his club record is impressive) his top flight experience seems very limited. Average at very best.

Who is Orourkes back room team? Would that have influenced the co board?

Most lols