Ulster Intermediate + Junior Football Club Championships 2012

Started by DownFanatic, September 08, 2012, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Mayo football would be as good as anything Tyrone can offer, if Charlestown were SFC winners as recently as 09 they must be some use.. Though I'm thinking theyve been decimated by emigration for them to have made the drop?

Boghopper

Went to Newry on Saturday Night expecting Brackaville to prevail although it became clear after 15 minutes that Brackaville where in trouble they got their tactics completely wrong and hung their full back line out to dry. An Port Mors gameplan was simple and effective although also required a lot of hard work. An Port Mor filtered men behind the ball and when breaking up the pitch they did so with speed and direction getting good early ball to their inside men. Brackaville did not have one forward in their forward line to match Port Mors CHF and two CFs who where a joy to watch. The final  score line kind of flattered Brackaville who where lucky to Port Mor didn't find the net twice before the short whistle and I feel Brackaville really underestimated Port Mor. I would now love to see Port Mor go on now and give the AI series a real rattle, they werea  very entertaining team to watch.   Anyone on here got the inside track on Ballinasloe? How would they stack up against Clonbur?

blanketattack

I see Charlestown are favourites with the bookies to win the Intermediate All-Ireland. I'd have thought Cookstown would be likelier favourites.

yellowcard

Quote from: blanketattack on December 04, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
I see Charlestown are favourites with the bookies to win the Intermediate All-Ireland. I'd have thought Cookstown would be likelier favourites.

I'd have thought Finuge would have been favourites but its hard to know when these teams have never come up against each other before. A lot of it is guesswork.

DownFanatic

Ballinasloe seemed to cakewalk the Connacht JFC while Castleknock annexed the Leinster equivalent minus Ciaran Kilkenny. Kenmare from Kerry play a Limerick offering in the Munster JFC Final this Sunday. The Kingdom side have destroyed their two opponents on route to the Final and going by Kerry's tradition at this level they should be a good outfit.

From watching An Port Mor at close quarters during our Ulster Quarter Final with them, it was very obvious that they were suited to football at this time of year. They are physically very big with a dogged defence, imposing midfield and tricky forward line. It would be great if they could go one better than Derrytresk did last year.

yellowcard

Don't rule out a Kerry clean sweep this year....senior, intermediate and junior.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 04, 2012, 08:24:33 PM
Ballinasloe seemed to cakewalk the Connacht JFC while Castleknock annexed the Leinster equivalent minus Ciaran Kilkenny. Kenmare from Kerry play a Limerick offering in the Munster JFC Final this Sunday. The Kingdom side have destroyed their two opponents on route to the Final and going by Kerry's tradition at this level they should be a good outfit.

From watching An Port Mor at close quarters during our Ulster Quarter Final with them, it was very obvious that they were suited to football at this time of year. They are physically very big with a dogged defence, imposing midfield and tricky forward line. It would be great if they could go one better than Derrytresk did last year.

Our aim at the start of the year was to win Division 3 and we have far surpassed those expectations. To be sitting here in December one win from playing in an All Ireland Final in Croke Park is unbelievable.

theticklemister

Dromaird pearses were 1/3 against Derrytresk in last years all ireland semi, and Derrytresk hammered them on the field (AND OFF IT!!!!!LOL)

clarshack

on the kerry website, kenmare were sitting 4th in division 2 (above the likes of finuge, an gaeltacht and listowel) . that is after 8 games though - not sure if last 3-4 games were played or not.

paul o'connor plays for them - pretty sure he has 3 all-ireland senior medals, while stephen o'brien won the cork sfc last year with ucc. think he has been called up to the kerry squad for 2012. he scored 0-6 from play last weekend against the cork champions. i'd say they will take some beating at junior level.

fitzroyalty

Am I reading right - Finuge, the Kerry intermediate champions are not only in the same league (Division 2) as the Kerry junior champions Kenmare, but are actually below them in the league? How does this work out?  :o

blanketattack

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 05, 2012, 12:25:06 PM
Am I reading right - Finuge, the Kerry intermediate champions are not only in the same league (Division 2) as the Kerry junior champions Kenmare, but are actually below them in the league? How does this work out?  :o

Intercounty players will miss a lot of county league games for their club due to intercounty commitments, intercounty subs will often be allowed play though. So Finuge would have missed Galvin more than Kenmare missed Paul O'Connor.

Another Kerry team, Scartaglin won the Junior B (a.k.a. Novice) Provincial title as well. Does Ulster or even Ulster counties have such a competition?

Armamike

Not sure what tactics you're referring to Up the Blues, but i thought it was a great game played by 2 sides who went for it from the very start.  An Port Mor kept it tight at the back but hit the full forward line quickly and directly.  The ref. probably didn't do Brackaville many favours with the free, when they were straight through on goal, but that shouldn't detract from the fact that Port Mor were the better side by a good stretch.  We opened up the Brackaville back line all night and on another day could easily have had another 1 or 2 goals.  We had 3 or 4 forwards that Brackaville couldn't live with, and the sending off was for repeated fouling on our star man on the night, Davy Curran.  It's been a fantastic journey for An Port Mor and it's great to be in an AI semi final. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

ross4life

Charlestown will be a tough nut to crack they should never have found themselves at Intermediate level but under Denis Kearney they are moving in the right direction again. He managed Castlerea to Roscommon senior titles a few years ago his teams are always well organised & they play to their strengths.

Ballinasloe won the junior Connacht championship comfortably they beat Oran in the final. Oran's cause wasn't helped losing their full back after a few mins and another player seeing red early in the 2nd half but it's going to take a good team to beat this Ballinasloe side.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

clarshack

So Cookstown play Finuge in the All Ireland IFC final - should be one to look forward to!

Looking at the Finuge team yesterday and there are several players still playing from when they played us in the 2005 junior final.

Trevor McKenna, Pat Corridan, Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Maurice Corridan, Enda Galvin (came on as sub yesterday),
Paul Galvin, John Griffin, Mike Conway, Raymond (Regi) Galvin started against us in 2005. Cillian Fitzmaurice & Chris Allen came on as subs.
So basically 11 of the 18 players used against us in 05, played yesterday.

You would imagine they are an old enough team now especially if Enda Galvin is still playing. he won an all ireland with kerry back in 2000.
i'ts a wonder Eamon Breen still isn't togging out!

Eamon Fitzmaurice (captain), Pat Corridan, Maurice Corridan, Paul Galvin, Enda Galvin, Cillian Fitzmaurice & Paidie Galvin also won Kerry senior championship medals in 2007 with Feale Rangers.

Pat Corridan was full back on that Feale Rangers team and I would expect him to pick up Mugsy. He was also on Kerry panel in 2008 and for a while in 2009.

Maurice Corridan won all-ireland medal as a panellist with Kerry in 2009. He played in a few league games that year. He's a very good left footed midfielder.

Despite Finuge's pedigree I would still fancy Cookstown to do the business.

u bent op uw

Despite the bitter disappointment for an Port Mor it was a fantastic run for the club. I know it means very little when you lose but the 2nd half performance was indicative of the spirit they had all year. The boys at the other half of the Parish have enjoyed the success of the County lads in the last 10 years but the success of an Mhaigh and an Port Mor at club level this year is something else. 'Clonfeacle abu'