Ulster Intermediate + Junior Football Club Championships 2012

Started by DownFanatic, September 08, 2012, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: FermGael on October 10, 2012, 02:10:39 PM
If Cookstown win the Intermediate in Tyrone, can they represent Tyrone in the Ulster Club Intermediate series?

As they won the All Ireland title, I thought i read somewhere that they could not compete again at the provisional Intermediate level for 5 years.

Never heard tell of that rule now; if ye win your championship at your respective grade you are automatically catapulted into Ulster in that grade.

JHume

Donegal's Junior final is on this Sunday between Moville (2009 Junior Champions) and Downings.

The Intermediate final is at the semi final stages, with Termon playing Aodh Ruadh on one side, and Naomh Colmcille (2010 Junior Champions) v Buncrana/Carn in the other one.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Sleater on October 10, 2012, 09:21:37 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 09, 2012, 11:07:16 PM
Quote from: Sleater on October 09, 2012, 09:56:25 PM
Doohamlet from Monaghan are a very experienced, physically powerful team. Star man is Monaghan defender Colin Walsh who anchors them from CHB. He was one of the few Monaghan players to emerge with reputation intact from this year's ulster campaign. A player with scorching pace who reads the game superbly and is the launch pad for most of their attacks. Their other county player is Paul McArdle (squad player), who is mercurial and combustable in equal meassure. He's arguably the best free taker in Monaghan, consistently kicking scores from 45-50 yards. But he's a bit of a ticking time bomb.

Other key men for them are ex Monaghan players Shane and Ciaran McManus, Darren Connolly and Ted Duffy.

Lisnaskea beat Doohamlet by 3 pts, 2 years ago in the ulster final. I seen from websites they beat Bundoran, Sarsfields of Armagh and gave Derrylaughan of Tyrone a right trimming. Doohamlet made hard work of winning the Monaghan IFC final this year. They should have won a lot more comfortably than they did but hung on in the end. Deserving winners though and far and away best team at intermediate level in monaghan. Still, they'll came back down from senior next year as they have a paper thin squad. But their first 15 are strong and I think they are presently at full strength.

It'll be a good game between Doohamlet and winners of Swatragh / Cavan champs.

We (Lacken) played Tyholland in a challenge game earlier in the year. I thought they would won intermediate in Monaghan.. maybe not as good as Doohamlet if they were beaten in the final

We were close to full strength that day bar Ray Galligan. Think they were missing one or 2. They had a very good wing forward. Meegan I think it was.

You sure it was a Meegan? No Meegan's play for Tyholland. Karl O'Connell normally plays for Tyholland in that position. O'Connell was a regular on the Monaghan team this year and scored the goal against antrim in Clones so it sounds like him you're referrring to.

A potential Killeavy - Cookstown fixture looks like the tie of the round.

In the Ulster JFC championship, you have to look at the Tyrone, Monaghan and Cavan clubs for a winner. Clubs from these counties have dominated the ulster junior club football championship. It's hard to look beyond previous winners Drumhowan in this competition. Though Brackaville and Mountnugent would be good contenders I suspect.

Nah, wasn't sure that's why I said I think. Yeah it was O Connell , looked very lively, stood out as being a County player. Meegan doesn't even sound like O Connell so dunno why i even thought of that name

nrico2006

Quote from: theticklemister on October 10, 2012, 02:16:35 PM
If Cookstown win the Intermediate in Tyrone, can they represent Tyrone in the Ulster Club Intermediate series?

As they won the All Ireland title, I thought i read somewhere that they could not compete again at the provisional Intermediate level for 5 years.

Never heard tell of that rule now; if ye win your championship at your respective grade you are automatically catapulted into Ulster in that grade.

There is a rule in hurling that restricts participation across Ulster, but I think that is to do with the inconsistent nature of the championship structure across the counties in Ulster.  I could be wrong. 

In saying that, I found it strange when seeing Eoghan Rua camogs winning another All Ireland at Intermediate this year.  That craic shouldn't be allowed. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

fitzroyalty

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2012, 03:46:55 PM
In saying that, I found it strange when seeing Eoghan Rua camogs winning another All Ireland at Intermediate this year.  That craic shouldn't be allowed.
Do they they not compete at the highest grade in Derry/Ulster i.e. Senior but when that goes to AI is actually Intermediate?

sam03/05

nope they can play in Ulster

nrico2006

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 10, 2012, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2012, 03:46:55 PM
Do they they not compete at the highest grade in Derry/Ulster i.e. Senior but when that goes to AI is actually Intermediate?

Think they just won the Ulster Senior B.  There is an Ulster Senior Club that was last won by Rossa I think.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cavanlad

Cavan IFC Final Replay FT Score  Lacken 3-10 Cootehill 1-9

Niall McKiernan scores 3-3 for Laken.

Former county player Jason O'Reilly is change of Lacken, one Ulster Minor winner from last year and two U21 Ulster winner from last two years. Quality players and strong team.
My ignore list - Richiej

JHume

Downings beat Moville by 0-10 to 0-5 in todays Donegal JFC final.

DownFanatic

Down JFC Final

Dundrum 0-15  Aghaderg 0-06

Club has won its 4th JFC since its inception. Special praise goes to Dundrum centre half forward Marty Coughlan who at 42 years of age must be the oldest championship medal winner in the province this year.

fitzroyalty

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

lacken beat Swatragh by 0-7 to 1-3 in Ulster club intermediate first round.

DownFanatic

yellowcard

Watched Down final today and it was poor stuff. Can't see that Warrenpoint team making much impact in Ulster. They at least have a few good individual footballers though and are obviously doing something right in that club since they won minor and reserve chips as well.