Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 26, 2015, 01:55:58 PM
Was wondering if anybody knew the answer to what to do with timing chains?  I have a MK3 Mondeo that has a timing chain and done 94k miles.  Are these meant to be changed or what?

Usually chains are good for a very high mileage like 300k. If it does 'break' it tends to be the tensioner that is at fault. Like the last poster said get your mechanic to check but it should be fine.

nrico2006

Quote from: snoopdog on August 26, 2015, 02:12:50 PM
Was wondering if anybody knew the answer to what to do with timing chains?  I have a MK3 Mondeo that has a timing chain and done 94k miles.  Are these meant to be changed or what?

From my understanding timing chains dont usually need changed, but they have been known to break. id say get your mechanic to have a quick look at it to see if he thinks its ok. i had a mazda 6 with over 90,000 miles on it and the chain was never changed. with 94k i would think your safe enough. But im not a mechanic.

Quote from: GJL on August 26, 2015, 02:42:05 PM

Usually chains are good for a very high mileage like 300k. If it does 'break' it tends to be the tensioner that is at fault. Like the last poster said get your mechanic to check but it should be fine.

Thanks lads.  From anything I have read it seems to are good to go for a high number of miles and usually show symptoms of problems before they get worse.  Hopefully all is ok then.  Only got the belt changed on the other car done a few months back, so didn't want to fork out more for this one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

theskull1

Some engines with timing chains have issues with them (excessive wear, chain tensioners failing), so good to know if your car could be one of those affected. Car forums are good to search through

BMW diesels being one of them. Have to take the engine out of the car to get to it I believe if there's a problem. BMW have a free check for for certain engine types.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

laceer

Just had the engine replaced in my 10 year old bmw 116i. Am now planning on selling it on - is it essential to inform the dvla? Can I still claim the mileage to be what is on the clock even though there is a different engine in the car? Any advice would be appreciated!

AZOffaly

Quote from: GJL on August 04, 2015, 02:15:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 04, 2015, 01:14:58 PM
Cheers lads. Will have a look later.
Would it fail an NCT because of this?

It fails MOT up here so I would presume it will fail NCT as well :(

Black insulating tape is your man. Not to repair the sensor, but to hide the light :)

laoislad

Someone told me about a liquid that you put in your diesel tank before an NCT to help with emissions?
Can't remember what it was called but I think its an Irish company that produces it.
Anyone?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

supersarsfields

STP is usually good for that. Don't think it's Irish tho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STP-PRE-MOT-2-PACK-PETROL-INJECTOR-CLEANER-TREATMENT-FUEL-ADDITIVE-EMISSION-/231137951699

Is this what your thinking? Cheap as chips on ebay.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2015, 11:36:29 AM
Someone told me about a liquid that you put in your diesel tank before an NCT to help with emissions?
Can't remember what it was called but I think its an Irish company that produces it.
Anyone?
Should have bought a Volkswagen  ;)

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 22, 2015, 01:08:33 PM
Anyone?
Happy enough with driving an Audi thanks very much..!
Anyway I found the stuff I was talking about,it's called dipetane
https://www.dipetane.com/

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2015, 01:16:12 PM
Anyone?
"Humour" is lost on some people  :P http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34325005

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 22, 2015, 01:25:36 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2015, 01:16:12 PM
Anyone?
"Humour" is lost on some people :P http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34325005
You're hilarious. Have you ever considered doing stand up?

Hardy

Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2015, 01:41:01 PM
Have you ever considered doing stand up?

The Tyrone victims' chorus will be here in a flash.

StGallsGAA

on the sideline

Just after getting an 'Emission Warning - Garage!' message on the car when I start it up.  It's a 2007 Jetta. The engine warning light then stays on when the car is going. Is it still ok to drive?  Need it tomorrow! Anyone came across this or anything like it before? Thanks.

GJL

Quote from: on the sideline on October 03, 2015, 04:16:29 PM
Just after getting an 'Emission Warning - Garage!' message on the car when I start it up.  It's a 2007 Jetta. The engine warning light then stays on when the car is going. Is it still ok to drive?  Need it tomorrow! Anyone came across this or anything like it before? Thanks.

Would need plugged in. Has it dropped in power? Should be OK to drive.