Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 10, 2014, 09:56:55 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on December 10, 2014, 08:55:46 PM
Hoping this is nothing but since yesterday there has been a noise like air rushing through the car when I accelerate.  Doesn't happen in 1st or 2nd gear but in 3rd when the car gets to around 1600rpm it starts.  I had the windscreen replaced two days ago. Could it be that it didn't seal properly or does it sound mechanical? 08 focus diesel.

Is the car window open??  ;D
Ha ha smartass. Naw it sounds like its coming through the vent in the dashboard. And the fans aren't on either before that gets throw out :P
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Hereiam

andoireabu

You two should be a double act! No sunroof in the car.

GJL

Is the engine lacking power? Any engine lights on?

Link

happened me with an 06 focus, there was a crack in some air pipe under the bonnet that caused the car to lose power and make a similar noise. was easily fixed by my mechanic and not too sore on the pocket either.

andoireabu

No loss of power and no lights on. Was the pipe easy to see? Could take a wee peek tomorrow.

Link

Quote from: andoireabu on December 10, 2014, 11:29:16 PM
No loss of power and no lights on. Was the pipe easy to see? Could take a wee peek tomorrow.

yeah pipe was 2/3 inch square, middle of bonnet and crack could easily be found when standing over open bonnet and someone revving the car.

GJL

Quote from: Link on December 10, 2014, 11:32:01 PM

yeah pipe was 2/3 inch square, middle of bonnet and crack could easily be found when standing over open bonnet and someone revving the car.

Intercooler pipe. It's what I suspected from the description. Usually it will cause a drop in power and/or EML.

Link

cheers, my terminology when it comes to cars is quite limited!

nrico2006

Quote from: GJL on December 10, 2014, 11:58:27 PM
Quote from: Link on December 10, 2014, 11:32:01 PM

Intercooler pipe. It's what I suspected from the description. Usually it will cause a drop in power and/or EML.

Yep, was thinking it was the intercooler pipe.  If you are getting a sudden whoosh of air when accelerating it could be that and not something expensive.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

andoireabu

Cheers for the advice lads. Is it a DIY fix or would it be better to let a mechanic at it if its not too expensive?

andoireabu

Took the car to a garage and they agreed its the intercooler pipe.  Said the part could be upwards of €100 and then labour would be a fair bit because they have to strip it down to find the hole and then replace the part.  Does that sound right?

theskull1

Quote from: andoireabu on December 11, 2014, 04:26:02 PM
Took the car to a garage and they agreed its the intercooler pipe.  Said the part could be upwards of €100 and then labour would be a fair bit because they have to strip it down to find the hole and then replace the part.  Does that sound right?

No idea how you expect anyone to answer the labour bit  :D, but I'd google for the part for your car and engine and see what it costs
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

nrico2006

I didn't think it would be too bad labour wise.  Had a similar problem last year and got a new hose at £70 and paid £30 to get it on.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

andoireabu

The part price seems right enough but he told me it would take a few hours labour at €60 an hour! Rang the dealer i bought it from and he says its not covered under warranty because its not a main engine part. Sounds fishy to me though since its connected to the engine!