Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

HPI check. Everyone should do one as it only costs a couple of £ but could save some trouble down the line. But don't rule the car of straight away if it's linked with outstanding finance. Sometimes the finance companies are slow at up dating.

thewobbler

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 20, 2014, 11:42:35 AM
Anyone have an idea if this sounds like the turbos gone in my car?
It's ford focus and always made a whining noise this past few years while accelerating but past few days that's been replaced with a whirring noise coming from engine when accelerating. It's driving fine when at a speed and there's no noise.
When trying to build up speed though it's taking forever, trying to get up to 40 or so is a nightmare, so slow and car like jumps.

Any ideas gladly welcomed.

I know almost nothing about cars but I'd suggest checking your oil levels (whirring noise) and sparkplugs (lack of acceleration), for hopefully a quick win. Could also be a dirty injector. But with modern engines it could be anything at all, as I keep finding.

GJL

Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2014, 11:56:33 AM
It's ford focus and always made a whining noise this past few years while accelerating but past few days that's been replaced with a whirring noise coming from engine when accelerating. It's driving fine when at a speed and there's no noise.
When trying to build up speed though it's taking forever, trying to get up to 40 or so is a nightmare, so slow and car like jumps.

I know almost nothing about cars but I'd suggest checking your oil levels (whirring noise) and sparkplugs (lack of acceleration), for hopefully a quick win. Could also be a dirty injector. But with modern engines it could be anything at all, as I keep finding.

LOL. You obviously don't.

Sounds like bearings in turbo. This is what happens if you don't do regular oil changes. Could also be an EGR valve problem if the car is jumpy.

thewobbler

Quote from: GJL on July 22, 2014, 12:06:32 PM

Sounds like bearings in turbo. This is what happens if you don't do regular oil changes. Could also be an EGR valve problem if the car is jumpy.

Guilty as charged. But I've been having sporadic bouts of jumpy and non-responsive acceleration recently and the internet (who would trust it?) is telling me to check spark plugs and wires. It also tells me (honestly, who would trust it?) of about 20 other things that might be the problem but sparkplugs keep cropping up.

haranguerer

Quote from: GJL on July 22, 2014, 12:06:32 PM

Gjl will have it sussed I'm sure, but egr valve would be my guess for the lack of acceleration.

Re the whining while accelerating - try changing up before the rev counter hits the red... :P

tyrone girl

Its the turbo unfortunately. Though was loads of white smoke not a major indicator of the turbo going in car? I had none of that but anyway my dad got second hand one in traynors for 150 yesterday so it will hopefully do the job for now. What kinda money are we talking for labour or are there any other parts etc that are needed?

Under Lights

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 22, 2014, 12:44:21 PM
Its the turbo unfortunately. Though was loads of white smoke not a major indicator of the turbo going in car? I had none of that but anyway my dad got second hand one in traynors for 150 yesterday so it will hopefully do the job for now. What kinda money are we talking for labour or are there any other parts etc that are needed?

£80 should fit it.

majestic

I have a 2006 Mazda 3 TS. 1.6 Petrol. It seems to be driving fine, but if sometimes going around a corner if the oil warning light comes on and then goes away again as soon as i exit the corner. I haven't noticed any oil spots on the ground after I have been parked for awhile. Has anyone got any suggestions as too what it might be? Thanks

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: majestic on July 22, 2014, 01:18:13 PM
I have a 2006 Mazda 3 TS. 1.6 Petrol. It seems to be driving fine, but if sometimes going around a corner if the oil warning light comes on and then goes away again as soon as i exit the corner. I haven't noticed any oil spots on the ground after I have been parked for awhile. Has anyone got any suggestions as too what it might be? Thanks

I'm guessing you have checked your oil level?

majestic

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on July 22, 2014, 01:24:28 PM
Quote from: majestic on July 22, 2014, 01:18:13 PM

I'm guessing you have checked your oil level?

Yep!

macdanger2

Quote from: Bingo on July 22, 2014, 11:27:50 AM
Has anyone ever used one of those sites to look at a cars history? Have a car that i'm look at importing and wondering is it worth checking the backround on it. The car itself drives well and I know the guy well who I'd be getting off but wouldn't mind ruling everything out.

Well worth doing, they may be able to tell if the car has been clocked from that too. If you're spending any sort of money on the car, I think it's worth spending the cash getting RAC or AA or a garage you know to check it out, will cost a couple of hundred quid but could save you a pile of hassle

theskull1

MOT Question

Is the engine management light staying on an MOT failure with the recent changes to the inspection?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hereiam

take_yer_points

Mine passed with it on in December

theskull1

'Leeks

Cheers

...think there was changes came in some time in the new year TYP
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera