Inclusion and a shared Future My Ar*e

Started by Applesisapples, August 29, 2012, 09:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakleafCounty

Quote from: theticklemister on August 29, 2012, 02:09:57 PM
Ah to be far Apple me oul mucker with Derry City being the UK City of Culture ye can't blame the unionists here............... It was the stoops and the $hinners that warmly accepted it. And Oakleaf County the thing ye say about the fleadh coming to Derry is a great reward/result so we should support this title we are given from London??? Catch yourself on, your appeasement sickens me. Anything accepted on the behest of this title is wrong and I include the McRoary/ McLarnon finals, the Fleadh and the All-Ireland feile which all will be happening in the city in this year.

The GAA has jumped on the bandwagon also. Derry City has 100,000 people yet gaelic games has poor here for 90 years; is the UK city of culture award going to change the face of gaelic games with the hosting of the colleges final and a 3 day blitz? No hard work and a source of inclusion from the county board.This title is a mere sham on which the GAA in this county can say we will improve our cultural games for a few months and then forget all about the city.

OK then keyboard dissident give your valid reasons why Derry having the city of culture is a bad thing for the town?

As for GAA in the city. Massive strides have been made since the late eighties/early 90's when it was practically non existant. If you're from the area you will be well aware of that! Fair enough it is nowhere near it's potential but it is up to the clubs to really push on. In an ideal world there would be about 12 clubs between football and hurling but the fact is that the culture isn't there and the town is dominated by soccer. I don't think the cities club scene in both codes will ever reach the heights it was at pre partition but that's not the county boards fault.

stew

Quote from: oisinog on August 29, 2012, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 29, 2012, 09:18:39 AM
Unionist leaders incite bands to break the law, then tie themselves in knots avoiding any criticism. No parity for nationalist flags and symbols. Sainsbury's festooned in union jacks, Derry UK city of culture, The OO getting the freedom of Lisburn. There is no inclusion or shared future or parity of esteem. Unionists are incapable of this concept. And where are nationalist politicians? With the exception of the inarticulate Culture Minister? Unionists and the British have hoodwinked Nationalists in to acceptance of the British "Nation" that is NI...

Sainsburys is one of the main sponsors of Team GB&NI during the olympics and also a main sponser of the paralmpics so you can understand the union flag as this is a commercial exercise for the company.

Derry is in GB you need to face that as is west belfast, Lurgan and all other town and Cities in Northern Ireland.

I disagree with The OO getting freedom of Lisburn but this is not a sure this as the equality people are looking at this so this is unlikly to go through espically now as lisburn is nearly 50/50

Ban all the feckin flags until  ye can all agree, enough of this shite already.

Sainsbury's, should know better and I am sure there are people who wont darken their doors again until they sponsor the Ulster championship.  :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Applesisapples

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 29, 2012, 10:58:19 AM
I don't see what is wrong with Derry being the city of culture. Especially considering the main event of the year will be the All-Ireland Fleadh.

As far as I'm concerned we have the same rights and opportunities as the other side which we did not have before. Things like the Orange Order and triumphalism will always be there with or without a united Ireland. I don't really understand the point your making? Do you think republican armed struggle is the way to go?
No but we've accepted the British State and all it's trappings. But If that's how people want it then I suppose that's democracy.

Applesisapples

Unionist leaders incite bands to break the law, then tie themselves in knots avoiding any criticism. No parity for nationalist flags and symbols. Sainsbury's festooned in union jacks, Derry UK city of culture, The OO getting the freedom of Lisburn. There is no inclusion or shared future or parity of esteem. Unionists are incapable of this concept. And where are nationalist politicians? With the exception of the inarticulate Culture Minister? Unionists and the British have hoodwinked Nationalists in to acceptance of the British "Nation" that is NI...

Sainsburys is one of the main sponsors of Team GB&NI during the olympics and also a main sponser of the paralmpics so you can understand the union flag as this is a commercial exercise for the company.

Derry is in GB you need to face that as is west belfast, Lurgan and all other town and Cities in Northern Ireland.

I disagree with The OO getting freedom of Lisburn but this is not a sure this as the equality people are looking at this so this is unlikly to go through espically now as lisburn is nearly 50/50
Actually NI is in the UK and not GB. Why do I have to accept the partition of Ireland and denial of parity of esteem for Irish citizens?

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 29, 2012, 03:42:47 PM

Actually NI is in the UK and not GB. Why do I have to accept the partition of Ireland and denial of parity of esteem for Irish citizens?

What would you suggest be done to change the situation?

OakleafCounty

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 29, 2012, 03:40:35 PM
No but we've accepted the British State and all it's trappings. But If that's how people want it then I suppose that's democracy.

The fact is that the reason why there is still partition is because the majority in the north want it. Although I strongly believe that partition in the first place was not democratic and I hate it, I also support the fact that we are where we are until the majority decide otherwise.

Also, even if there is a UI at some point there will always be people who consider themselves British and there will still be an orange order whether you or I like it or not.

Rossfan

Why do I have to accept the partition of Ireland and denial of parity of esteem for Irish citizens?

The same reason as the rest of us - The majority vote for the GFA and it's clause that until a majority in the 6 Cos. say otherwise it remains within Brit Government jurisdiction.

You don't have to accept denial of parity of esteem- Do something about it  -like - lobby Nationalist politicians, public protests , Courts .....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oisinog

Crap I always get the two of them confused between GB and the UK

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on August 29, 2012, 04:03:34 PM
Why do I have to accept the partition of Ireland and denial of parity of esteem for Irish citizens?

The same reason as the rest of us - The majority vote for the GFA and it's clause that until a majority in the 6 Cos. say otherwise it remains within Brit Government jurisdiction.

You don't have to accept denial of parity of esteem- Do something about it  -like - lobby Nationalist politicians, public protests , Courts .....
There are two differing threads here, we nationalists have accepted partition until the majority agree otherwise and really other than persuade there isn't a lot we can do. The point i'm making is that we have got absolutely nothing in return as regards our nationality, symbols and institutions other than what is required to keep on the right side of the law. If the GAA had organized a parade to celebrate an anniversary do you think for one minute they would be allowed to display naked sectarianism in the way the OO and bands do? Would Unionists have avoided condemnation? Nationalist politicians and SF in particular have shown no leadership. I didn't and wouldn't support armed struggle but it appears that most nationalists are no longer that but have in effect become Unionists. It has returned to the days when we were afraid to talk about our games culture etc... lest we annoy our Orange masters. And in accepting UK City of Culture status Derry has sold out for the hand out.

theticklemister

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 29, 2012, 02:56:25 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 29, 2012, 02:09:57 PM
Ah to be far Apple me oul mucker with Derry City being the UK City of Culture ye can't blame the unionists here............... It was the stoops and the $hinners that warmly accepted it. And Oakleaf County the thing ye say about the fleadh coming to Derry is a great reward/result so we should support this title we are given from London??? Catch yourself on, your appeasement sickens me. Anything accepted on the behest of this title is wrong and I include the McRoary/ McLarnon finals, the Fleadh and the All-Ireland feile which all will be happening in the city in this year.

The GAA has jumped on the bandwagon also. Derry City has 100,000 people yet gaelic games has poor here for 90 years; is the UK city of culture award going to change the face of gaelic games with the hosting of the colleges final and a 3 day blitz? No hard work and a source of inclusion from the county board.This title is a mere sham on which the GAA in this county can say we will improve our cultural games for a few months and then forget all about the city.

OK then keyboard dissident give your valid reasons why Derry having the city of culture is a bad thing for the town?

As for GAA in the city. Massive strides have been made since the late eighties/early 90's when it was practically non existant. If you're from the area you will be well aware of that! Fair enough it is nowhere near it's potential but it is up to the clubs to really push on. In an ideal world there would be about 12 clubs between football and hurling but the fact is that the culture isn't there and the town is dominated by soccer. I don't think the cities club scene in both codes will ever reach the heights it was at pre partition but that's not the county boards fault.

Twice you have posted about the UK city of culture and twice you have conviently forgot to add the title 'UK' in front of the award. If you are going to win an award the most honorable thing you can do which to give it its proper title now.

Bad thing for the town.............ill give one simple reason which is why a lot of people disagree with it: we are irish, we are proud to be irish. This country has gone through years of suffering and hardship to pronounce to the world that we are irish; this same people who once  put people in their graves for much less, now support us being a UK city of culture; very sad indeed.

The county board are the figure head of the county's interests; if they put a whole lot of effort behind improving gaelic games in our city it would be of huge benefit.the clubs in the city have been doing by themselves for a long time. In 20 years there is only one club at senior level from city while there is 1 intermediate (soon to be junior); I would hardly thinking that is striking improvement. Back in the years you mention colmcille were floating between intermediate and senior with 2/3 junior clubs (the same as now) while Na Magha were reguarly competiting unlike now. And in the space of that time........there has been 2 pitches developed.if the county baord really had an interest they would employ the top coaches to come into this area and make the Derry City Council wind their neck in with their 4 day pre booking of a GAA pitch in the city. (Only 1 GAA council pitch in the city) . They would also ensure the use of Celtic Park and Owenbeg for the only university in Derry, Magee and NWIFE. (Presently Magee don't have a set of goal posts to shoot in when training on the Magee soccer pitch; in fact they never have)

theticklemister

Everybody calls this democratic this, democratic that;the fact is that the British undemocratically took this island a long time ago and in 1921 split our land in two when undemocratically they enforced partition.

The British don't do democracy.

bailestil

Quote from: theticklemister on August 29, 2012, 04:44:26 PM
Bad thing for the town.............ill give one simple reason which is why a lot of people disagree with it: we are irish, we are proud to be irish.

There is no way that it will be  bad thing for the City. thankfully your in the very small minority who think that.

As for being Irish. How will that be affected on Jan 1st 2013? 
You seem to be confused. It not City of UK Culture - its UK City of culture. There's a very big difference.

ziggysego

Quote from: bailestil on August 29, 2012, 04:53:49 PM
You seem to be confused. It not City of UK Culture - its UK City of culture. There's a very big difference.

I personally have no bother with Derry having it and it'll be good for the local economy, but what's the differences above?
Testing Accessibility

bailestil

Quote from: ziggysego on August 29, 2012, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: bailestil on August 29, 2012, 04:53:49 PM

I personally have no bother with Derry having it and it'll be good for the local economy, but what's the differences above?

Its not a festival of british Culture etc. Its all Cultures. Hence Fleadh etc.

dillinger

That big brush seems to have a lot of tar on it.