Antrim need a new manager

Started by DuffleKing, August 27, 2012, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

If mccloskey in then ward out.

Likewise I'd like to see a good young coach in. I don't think any big tunes coming forward. Would love to see madden in.

glens abu

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 31, 2012, 01:51:20 PM
If mccloskey in then ward out.

Likewise I'd like to see a good young coach in. I don't think any big tunes coming forward. Would love to see madden in.

Yeah would like him myself but think he is managing  the Loup so he might want to be his own man.

James Gatz

Have said this on the Antrim board, but I think we need Aidan O'Rourke, McEntee or Tohill. Young, aspiring managers who are very talented and would undoubtedley get the respect of the players. All capable of taking Antrim to the next level and I'm sure would all like intercounty experience at a decent level. With no disrespect intended to the likes of Harbinson, I don't think he's at these guys' level. I don't think Harbinson would be an improvement on Baker but the names mentioned above, or even the likes of Frank Dawson, McIver and Malachy O'Rourke as secondary options would be better than the names mentioned in the IN the other day. I'm a massive fan of Kevin Madden but think the job might be a bit early for him, and as we all know football has changed so much since White was last in charge. This is a massive appointment as we currently have a very talented group of players at our disposal who are definitely capable of beating anyone in Ulster (bar say Donegal and to a lesser extent Tyrone) on their day and perhaps mounting a decent challenge for Ulster. I don't mean to harp on about the McGourtys, but if the next manager can get CJ in particular to commit fully to Antrim, can him on weights programmes etc. and ensure he's a team player then he would be a fantastic addition to the squad as he is exactly the player we lack. Someone in the Jamie Clarke mould, a deadly inside forward with bags of tricks and skill who can win his own ball (remains to be fully seen at IC level but if he added a bit of beef his movement is very smart and he has pace).

stibhan

There's absolutely no chance that we'll get O'Rourke, McEntee or Tohill.

ck

Quote from: stibhan on August 31, 2012, 04:21:58 PM
There's absolutely no chance that we'll get O'Rourke, McEntee or Tohill.

Why not?

imtommygunn

optimus cheese

If Lenny gets it surely Bishop will come in along with him

saffron sam2

Would Lenny's nephews play for him?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ck

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 31, 2012, 04:27:21 PM
$$$$$$$$

None of those three fellas have ever managed a county team so on what basis do you say they'd look for big money? I'd say it would be more accurate to say that none of them would be arsed with the Antrim job and probably want to manage their own counties first? I can't see any outsiders being interested regardless of money

imtommygunn

O'rourke has been heavily involved in county setups before and has, maybe stil does, a professional role in queens.

Mcentee has managed to a standard which is as high and higher than a lot of counties.

Tohill has managed his country.

To entice boys of this standard to a county which is not their own could only be done with money I'd have thought??

Who is bishop??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: glens abu on August 31, 2012, 01:20:55 PM
Quote from: ck on August 31, 2012, 01:09:27 PM
Yeah agree. McCloskey was just a bit of a water carrier with Armagh and wouldn't have the football knowledge but I have reliable information that he is part of Harbinsons back room team. I know Harbinson is in the papers stating that he's interested but I have it that he has already spoken to county board chair

Would worry about that as I would like to see good young coach if Lenny takes it,has he managed anywhere outside of St.Galls and to be honest took over a few good team also my have some baggage from his Galls days.Would be good to hear from some of the Galls men what they think about him getting the job.

Dawson would be a better manager I think, has managed more teams and has some success, possibly a bit early for Lenny to take charge
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glens abu

Gearoid Adams has said he wants the job.

ck

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 01, 2012, 10:13:47 PM
O'rourke has been heavily involved in county setups before and has, maybe stil does, a professional role in queens.

Mcentee has managed to a standard which is as high and higher than a lot of counties.

To entice boys of this standard to a county which is not their own could only be done with money I'd have thought??

Who is bishop??

None of them managed a county team as the head man. O'Rourke is with Down and McEntee is with Cross. As for Tohill? No idea.

sheamy

Who is bishop??

So has Declan Kidney. Neither in Gaelic Games though.

ck

Quote from: sheamy on September 05, 2012, 01:02:01 PM

Who is bishop??

So has Declan Kidney. Neither in Gaelic Games though.

+1