All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

2 points doES actually tell the tale of the match . donegal may have looked all over cork but the scored Just 2 points in the last 20 minute leaving the door wide open for cork and only for desperate shooting  cork would have won it with any other change to the match .
had cork scored them no one would have batted an eye lid and for 20 seconds talk anout the pluckly hills men before looking forward to a Cork Dublin final, instead donegal are installed as the hottest favorites for years and all faults forgotten , but that's the level of GAA journalism at the moment
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2012, 01:34:45 PM
Stuff Brolly and all belonging to him.
As a good Donegal friend put it when I asked him what he thought of JB, "I wouldn't give the full of me arse of burnt snow for thon Brolly fella."
Well, I wouldn't give the full of his arse of burnt anything for what anyone has to say about Mayo's 'cynical' approach. (Mind you very big man, even bigger arse.)
As I recall, Mayo gave away four frees in the last quarter after having the crap kicked out of them throughout the entire game, with two blood subs on and Kevin Mac forced to go back in.
Anyway, off to the shamrock and heather now until Saturdays so f**k the begrudgers.

4 frees in the last quarter my hole. They conceded 4 frees in injury time.

The best of luck to Mayo but don't be making stuff up.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rosnarun on September 20, 2012, 05:21:53 PM
2 points doES actually tell the tale of the match . donegal may have looked all over cork but the scored Just 2 points in the last 20 minute leaving the door wide open for cork and only for desperate shooting  cork would have won it with any other change to the match .
had cork scored them no one would have batted an eye lid and for 20 seconds talk anout the pluckly hills men before looking forward to a Cork Dublin final, instead donegal are installed as the hottest favorites for years and all faults forgotten , but that's the level of GAA journalism at the moment

If Cork or Kerry had reached the final they would be hotter favorites.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 20, 2012, 06:05:33 PM

If Cork or Kerry had reached the final they would be hotter favorites.

That's more Captain Tangential than Captain Obvious.

J70

I must have begin watching a different game. The desperate shooting I saw came from Donegal who missed three  or four ridiculously easy points which would have left them at least eight points to the good and rendered getting caught showboating even more irrelevant. Cork had plenty of misses  too , but those came under severe pressure. At distance. Donegal man were missing when wide open.

But sure go ahead. It suits Donegal just fine to have their semi final performance downplayed. Just like Mayo.

Tubberman

I was listening to Matt Cooper on TodayFM on the way home and he had Darragh O Sé and Peter Canavan on doing a bit of a preview of the match.  In the middle of it, O Sé just just happened to mention that the rumour is Aidan O'Shea is a major doubt with a hamstring injury. That's all that was said, Cooper didn't question it any further.
I hadn't heard that rumour or seen it mentioned online anywhere, so not sure if the Kerry cousins have the news or where he got it from....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

J70

I fully expect to see O'Shea line out.

Donegal will presumably start the same 15 again.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Hardly a new thing for GAA journalists to lose perspective though is it? Teams go from being brilliant to past it and back over the space of 70 minutes in GAA. Hardly worth getting too bothered about it.

The suggestion that Donegal "left the door wide open" for Cork is however as ridiculous as saying Cork had the winning of the game with 2 minutes to go. Cork were 5 points down after 70 minutes and a beaten team. Yes, they got a goal in injury time, but they didn't get back into the Donegal half after scoring it. Donegal had that game won well before the end.

Farandeelin - I agree that there is no certainty that Mayo will fade in the final as they did in the semi. The only reason I mentioned the collapse was rosnarun's rather bizarre suggestion that after watching both semi-finals that he had no nerves, and picking up on weaknesses in the Donegal performance whilst not mentioning Mayo going to pieces. If you do indeed want to make a call on this final based on the semis then the Mayo performance raises a lot more questions than the Donegal one. 

Good luck to both teams and I hope all the regular Donegal and Mayo posters from the board are sorted for tickets. May the best team win....

Captain Obvious

Quote from: J70 on September 20, 2012, 07:12:43 PM

I must have begin watching a different game. The desperate shooting I saw came from Donegal who missed three  or four ridiculously easy points which would have left them at least eight points to the good and rendered getting caught showboating even more irrelevant. Cork had plenty of misses  too , but those came under severe pressure. At distance. Donegal man were missing when wide open.

But sure go ahead. It suits Donegal just fine to have their semi final performance downplayed. Just like Mayo.

Yes some of the Donegal shooting was erratic they should have beaten Cork by 6-8 points and that same Cork side beat Mayo twice this year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 20, 2012, 07:39:32 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 20, 2012, 07:12:43 PM

Yes some of the Donegal shooting was erratic they should have beaten Cork by 6-8 points and that same Cork side beat Mayo twice this year.

.........and lost in the Chamionship to them last year!

criostlinn

So let me see. Mayo are 10 points up against Dublin with 15 minutes to go, get pulled back to 2 and only win the game by three. This is a collapse. Donegal are 6 points up with 5 to go and get pulled back to one and win by two. But Donegal were never in doubt. Always had the game under control and only for a bittin of wayward shooting and a small bit of showboating theyed have won by far more.

Ah its Donegal by 10 so.

From the Bunker

Quote from: criostlinn on September 20, 2012, 08:06:24 PM
So let me see. Mayo are 10 points up against Dublin with 15 minutes to go, get pulled back to 2 and only win the game by three. This is a collapse. Donegal are 6 points up with 5 to go and get pulled back to one and win by two. But Donegal were never in doubt. Always had the game under control and only for a bittin of wayward shooting and a small bit of showboating theyed have won by far more.

Ah its Donegal by 10 so.

Look you have to realise when Donegal win games, the talk is of how good Donegal are. when Mayo win games, the talk is of how bad the opposition were. The case in point this year was the analysis of both teams after playing Down.
Note: This is neither the fault of either county, rather the media.

criostlinn

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2012, 08:18:36 PM

Ah its Donegal by 10 so.

Look you have to realise when Donegal win games, the talk is of how good Donegal are. when Mayo win games, the talk is of how bad the opposition were. The case in point this year was the analysis of both teams after playing Down.
Note: This is neither the fault of either county, rather the media.

Not really just the media. It seems tto be the general consensus on this board

adevvabr

Quote from: Tubberman on September 20, 2012, 07:22:39 PM
I was listening to Matt Cooper on TodayFM on the way home and he had Darragh O Sé and Peter Canavan on doing a bit of a preview of the match.  In the middle of it, O Sé just just happened to mention that the rumour is Aidan O'Shea is a major doubt with a hamstring injury. That's all that was said, Cooper didn't question it any further.
I hadn't heard that rumour or seen it mentioned online anywhere, so not sure if the Kerry cousins have the news or where he got it from....

Hurt his hamstring last Sunday in A v B match during first half and didn't play any further part, has to be doubtful for Sunday given any kind of damage to a hamstring is near impossible to play on with only one week recovery. Will be a huge loss for Mayo if he doesn't play.

J70

Ah its Donegal by 10 so.

We were discussing the Cork match, not the Kerry one.