Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2012, 03:21:15 PM
Yeah he'd have taken a few of the chances that were missed in the two games against Kilkenny and he's worth having another look at after the failure of our forwards to score a point from play unitl the 71st minute. I would guess that Cunningham feels he'd offer nothing defensively and in terms of winning 50/50 balls but his striking is immaculate and if he gets a chance from anywhere he'll usually put it over. It's a pity lads like himself and Cha are surplus to requirements now. IMO they'd have been superstars 20 or 30 years ago when the game was a little less intense. You don't see any lads built like John Troy or Joe Cooney at the top-level anymore either, though I think they'd both be class against  a packed defence.

Defence actually starts with possession and what they do with the ball. KK got a lot of scores off Galway possession. Scoring instead of foosthering would solve a few problems in one go. 

It was a great year of progress really. This time last year I thought a semi final would be good achievement. 

gallsman

Was he there as much for his free taking ability as anything? Something largely unnecessary with Canning aorund?

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2012, 03:44:14 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2012, 03:21:15 PM
Yeah he'd have taken a few of the chances that were missed in the two games against Kilkenny and he's worth having another look at after the failure of our forwards to score a point from play unitl the 71st minute. I would guess that Cunningham feels he'd offer nothing defensively and in terms of winning 50/50 balls but his striking is immaculate and if he gets a chance from anywhere he'll usually put it over. It's a pity lads like himself and Cha are surplus to requirements now. IMO they'd have been superstars 20 or 30 years ago when the game was a little less intense. You don't see any lads built like John Troy or Joe Cooney at the top-level anymore either, though I think they'd both be class against  a packed defence.

Defence actually starts with possession and what they do with the ball. KK got a lot of scores off Galway possession. Scoring instead of foosthering would solve a few problems in one go. 

It was a great year of progress really. This time last year I thought a semi final would be good achievement.

Yeah Kilkenny got most of their scores from dispossessing the Galway backs and midfielders. Some of the hooking, flicks and blocks were superb but Galway made lots of mistakes too. It was a great year overall and we're well set up for the next few years. Liam will be heading west before too long.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on October 02, 2012, 04:03:16 PM
Was he there as much for his free taking ability as anything? Something largely unnecessary with Canning aorund?

He was deadly with the frees and never missed. This would have left Canning to concentrate on winning ball coming in instead of running round the pitch taking frees.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Asal Mor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 02, 2012, 04:08:33 PM

He was deadly with the frees and never missed. This would have left Canning to concentrate on winning ball coming in instead of running round the pitch taking frees.

I'd respectfully disagree Milltown. There was a period when Farragher was there taking the frees and Canning didn't play well. Taking frees is a part of Joe's game and something he's always done brilliantly at club and county level and imo it hasn't affected his performances from play. I thought Joe was excellent this year, even in yesterday's game he did a lot of great things while carrying an injury. A lot of people would have him as player of the year. I'm not sure how much some people expect Joe to do sometimes.

FTJC

Ger Farragher...no thanks...he doesn't work hard enough and is not aggressive enough.

Having Damien Hayes as the extra man around the middle of the field won't work much longer either though. Would prefer to see a player that can have a pop from distance play this role as it'd keep an opposition back line guessing

seafoid

Quote from: FTJC on October 02, 2012, 06:22:56 PM
Ger Farragher...no thanks...he doesn't work hard enough and is not aggressive enough.

Having Damien Hayes as the extra man around the middle of the field won't work much longer either though. Would prefer to see a player that can have a pop from distance play this role as it'd keep an opposition back line guessing
Fáilte ar ais

Is JC in FTJC  still Joe Sarsfields or does it now refer to  Joe Óg Sarsfields or Joe Portumna ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2012, 04:18:18 PM

I'd respectfully disagree Milltown. There was a period when Farragher was there taking the frees and Canning didn't play well. Taking frees is a part of Joe's game and something he's always done brilliantly at club and county level and imo it hasn't affected his performances from play. I thought Joe was excellent this year, even in yesterday's game he did a lot of great things while carrying an injury. A lot of people would have him as player of the year. I'm not sure how much some people expect Joe to do sometimes.

Did you think he wasn't playing well because he wasn't hitting the frees? I know players grow in confidence when knocking over frees but it fairly takes it outta you even when you are fit to run up settle yourself and take the frees all the time, big Joe on the square receiving a well placed ball will get you scores or close in frees when he gets pulled down running in. Again you Galway lads will know a bit more on the senior lads, though to be fair I have a wee bit of knowledge on the TAD team ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 02, 2012, 08:37:50 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2012, 04:18:18 PM
Was he there as much for his free taking ability as anything? Something largely unnecessary with Canning around?

I'd respectfully disagree Milltown. There was a period when Far ragher was there taking the frees and Canning didn't play well. Taking frees is a part of Joe's game and something he's always done brilliantly at club and county level and IMO it hasn't affected his performances from play. I thought Joe was excellent this year, even in yesterday's game he did a lot of great things while carrying an injury. A lot of people would have him as player of the year. I'm not sure how much some people expect Joe to do sometimes.

Did you think he wasn't playing well because he wasn't hitting the frees? I know players grow in confidence when knocking over frees but it fairly takes it outta you even when you are fit to run up settle yourself and take the frees all the time, big Joe on the square receiving a well placed ball will get you scores or close in frees when he gets pulled down running in. Again you Galway lads will know a bit more on the senior lads, though to be fair I have a wee bit of knowledge on the TAD team ;)
[/quot

Joe has been brilliant this year and is one of the best free takers around. but there was one league campaign for galway when Farragher was popping them over from every where. ill never forget it sideline cuts, 8o yards ,tight angles from both sides it was unreal the stuff he was doing. but he disappeared apart from dead balls. Funny thing is i think last year he was putting in more effort from play.

while we are on galway players what the hell happened to keryl wade, he was the best minor i ever seen, dare i say it better than Joe
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Asal Mor

Tynagh / Abbey-Duniry? I'm a long way from home but I try to keep an eye on the club scene in Galway. I'd say they were very disappointed with how they went this year. Took a few heavy beatings and their two brightest prospects, Maloney and Brehony seemed to lose their form completely. Hopefully for Galway's and TAD's sakes they'll be back to themselves next year.

And to answer your question Milltown - yes, I thought Joe didn't play as well because he wasn't taking the frees. He strugled to get into those games.

Asal Mor

From Hoganstand.com
Kenny lauds Canning courage     02 October 2012

The full forward went into the All-Ireland final replay with ligament damage on the side of his knee but still played the full 70 minutes.

Kenny told The Mirror: "Our medical team had to go fairly hard to get him ready for that game.

"We were delighted he was able to start for us and he managed to come through - credit to Joe for going through all that.

"It wasn't an impact, just something he picked up in training, call it an over-use injury or whatever.

"Our medical team had to work very, very hard. Dr Dan Murphy and Jerry Reilly, our physio in the clinic in Galway, to get the guys right for the final.

"Leinster finals, All-Ireland semi-finals, All-Ireland finals are big matches. So you have to get your best players out on the pitch and these guys have got to make themselves available.

"Under the circumstances, they performed very well, I thought."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In light of this I feel that Joe still deserves to win hurler of the year, an award he was favorite for before Sunday. Henry will probably get it though, and no one could argue with that.

gallsman

Sunday Game panel suggested candiates should be Joe, Henry and Brian Hogan. I think any of them would be deserving winners. The difference Brian Hogan made to the KK defence after returning cannot be overstated. He seems to improve year on year. Henry's performances in the two finals might nick it for him.

FTJC

Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2012, 06:37:05 PM

Fáilte ar ais

Is JC in FTJC  still Joe Sarsfields or does it now refer to  Joe Óg Sarsfields or Joe Portumna ?

Still the original of the species. Neither of the current JC's would lace his boots...yet

mouview

Quote from: FTJC on October 04, 2012, 04:13:36 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2012, 06:37:05 PM

Fáilte ar ais

Still the original of the species. Neither of the current JC's would lace his boots...yet

Joe Og, no. Other JC, probably better. IMHO, post-1990 the original was never quite as good as what we had seen to that point. The current JC hasn't reached that age or stage yet, but there's been very few games indeed where he wasn't relevant to the play.

Asal Mor

That's right mouview. Between the final in'90 where Joe was brilliant and the semi in '91 against Tipp where he was anonymous, Joe seemed to put on a stone or two which he never lost. After that he was never a major force at county level again even though he would only have been in his mid-twenties. He was still the best club-hurler in the country during the 90's despite being out of shape which shows what an amazing talent he was.