Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I'm really hoping we stay competitive tomorrow. I'm worried we'll leak goals and it will turn into a no-contest. I'd be worried about Hynes too at full-back. Actually apart from Moore, Donoghue, Canning , Hayes , Niall Burke, David Burke and Donnelllan I'd wonder if we're good enough to even compete with Kilkenny but Cunningham has really toughened this team up and they'll match Kilkenny for workrate and physicality. This team has restored a lot of pride in Galway hurling and have given us everything this year so I really hope for their sakes they produce their best tomorrow. And if we get a bit of luck and Kilkenny aren't quite flying then maybe, just maybe ..................

Canalman

Popping in tomorrow in the hope of picking up a ticket and seeing Dublin win a national hurling championship for the first time in my lifetime.Really hope they don't flop like they have done the last 3 finals.
Will be hoping for a Leinster double as I really admire the way Kilkenny hurl and conduct themselves.

Am going to put a smallish  double bet on a Dublin win and a draw in the senior game as there is one due statistically.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0908/1224323741554.html

Hurling's wholesome undead defying gravity by hook or spook

PM O'SULLIVAN

ALL YEARS settle to grimace or smile and down the line 2012 will be a rictus in collective memory. Rain pilfered so many skies, June and July and August. The forecast for tomorrow is good and sunshine would be a sliver of compensation after so Gothic a summer, one in which Kilkenny chimed with the weather by becoming the undead.
The ultimate result is pending and victory for Galway, for the first time in 24 years, would be a hallmark delivered with an axe.
And yet the champions, whatever happens, will have left an impression unlikely to dissolve even if there is a downpour from here to Christmas and the Nore swells round the Castle and the Corrib swallows the Twelve Pins and Marty Morrissey morphs into Vincent Price.
Four weeks past, hurling pundits must have felt they were locked in a rackety mansion, fearful of mirrors. There has come to be something uncanny about Kilkenny, an energy in excess of meadow physics. Things are meant to come and flourish, have their day, and then die back, leaving all to compost.
"We only bloom once," said John McGahern.
Then Kilkenny, the wholesome undead.
They might well go down tomorrow but it would be a loss rather than a defeat. Whatever happens, they will be front force in 2013. Would anyone have predicted such with confidence in late 2010, as Tipperary eyed the decade like a vampire hoisting his cloak before a maiden?
The moment passed.
You could call it the wonderful and frightening world of counter-intuition. Had the five-in- a-row been won, Tipperary would probably have taken 2011, leaving them in rude health for a right spell. The death of the coveted drive for five sent blood to Kilkenny parts mere success could not reach.

Which or whether, the current team endure in open air, hurling's version of those Easter Island statues, all the more impressive for their part in the inexplicable. The Dublin footballers were deemed hoist last weekend with lack of hunger. Seven seasons in a row, Brian Cody has sent out ravening sides.
It has gone beyond a poke, mere rousing of the troops. Gravity is being defied, by hook or by spook.

Galway supporters must love this narrative. Ten weeks after they eviscerated Leinster final opposition, they are back in the same place, hands hanging in scant chance saloon.
I would be nothing so sure.

The bookmakers' odds are a farce. Three of their forwards – David Burke, Joe Canning and Damien Hayes – are in better form than any Tipp attacker mustered this summer.

Again, unlike almost every other outfit, they have a corner back to mark Henry Shefflin. Presuming the match up happens, Fergal Moore's clash with same will be a fascinating subplot.
The co-ordinates stack easily enough for a Galway triumph. To a remarkable degree, pressure has sluiced away from them. If they have the nerve, they have the verve.

Same time, Galway would want to fork hay. There are no guarantees about soon being back on September grass. The rest of this decade should see the most competitive seasons in hurling history, with eight serious contenders around 2015. Maybe even a couple more, if Offaly and Wexford square their shoulders.
Allow me the cliché about no time like the present. Galway are 70 minutes away from highest heaven with a backline whose spine has prompted much muttering. What else, though? Tellingly, when their U21 management went looking for a replacement defender in the All Ireland semi-final, they introduced a minor, Paul Killeen.
Kevin Hynes and Tony Óg Regan might not be Brian Lohan and Seánie McMahon, but Galway look already to have harvested the one candidate of requisite quality in that back six, Johnny Coen.
Some version of the current defence will have to serve for a while.
So, the present, first and last and always. Hurling's undergrowth is astir.
Clare are favourites for next Saturday in Semple Stadium and should be there again in 12 months' time.
The under-21 Munster final reiterated Tony Kelly's brilliance. Consistently sent zipped ball, Darach Honan and Conor McGrath would be a laxative for any full-back line. Will Davy Fitz do zipped ball?
Limerick leave the season far haler than they entered it. Dublin are nothing like as unpromising as self-painted. Nor have Tipperary gone away, so long as a proper manager sits down. This time round, Cork are probably more asparagus than mushrooms, cropping in the third year.
We shall enjoy all that seeing in the coming times. Right now, one last facet.

A preview in these pages of the Kilkenny-Limerick quarter-final mentioned a certain stripe of fastidiousness, a strain that would blanch at an All- Ireland won via the back door.
Such sentiment exists in the county. If anything, it became more pronounced after the semi-final, once the havoc wreaked on Tipp was weighed and pronounced the measure of several All Irelands. The maiden has been decked with garlic.
As per Peter Mandelson on the filthy rich, much of the Kilkenny support is intensely relaxed about coming home disappointed.
Mainly, their desire centres on seeing the reign of Henry the Ninth.
But it is not the supporters who will be out on the pitch. Planted there will 15 good hurlers, iron intent to right matters.
All men have secrets and here is mine: Galway in a tight one or Kilkenny by eight plus.
Any queasiness about the indirect route, should the latter win by a bit, is offset.

Basically, Kilkenny would have been beaten in the championship but twice since 2006, carrying four injuries on both occasions.
2010: Brian Hogan, Henry Shefflin, John Tennyson, Tommy Walsh. 2012: JJ Delaney, Colin Fennelly, Michael Fennelly, Michael Rice.
Like sex, sport rarely does neatness. Tomorrow should surprise.
Goalkeeping performance will be crucial. Neither man has convinced.
The sun, having every choice, shone this week. Emphatically an outdoor occasion, tomorrow is Croke Park and daylight, far from Bram Stoker and moonlight.
Praise be, after such a summer, whatever the result.

seafoid

It's going to be timber for the first 10 minutes

This is a great video about the Leinster Final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb52kJeCzoA

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2012, 11:07:02 PM
It's going to be timber for the first 10 minutes

This is a great video about the Leinster Final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb52kJeCzoA

Anyone looking a ticket PM me and I'll be in Dublin from 12 tomorrow, I think the group I'm with will have an extra one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lecale2

How you getting down? We're on the 10.00 train.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 09, 2012, 07:31:47 AM
How you getting down? We're on the 10.00 train.

Getting a lift at 9.30. looking forward to this one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Asal Mor

The final hour is almost upon us. May God bless the Galway team and give them every single bit of luck going today. I'm listening to the build up on Galway Bay FM and there seems to be a good bit of optimism amongst Galway people though some of them had audibly started early. It's great to be back in a final but we are playing the greatest team ever . I'm a bag of nerves just looking at that Kilkenny line-up but hopefully our lads won't be daunted by the day and the opposition. Could be our greatest day ever, le chuine de.

seafoid

I think 3/1 is an attractive price.

Galway are fit, they are aggresive and they play with great intensity.

Scaoil amach an bobailin.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0907/336713-galway-can-end-long-wait-for-title/

Essentially, this game will be decided by which Galway side turns up.

You know what you are getting with Kilkenny. The reason their Leinster final collapse was so shocking is that it rarely happens that they are so well beaten.

Galway have long been on the other end of the spectrum, capable of being fantastic one day and pure poison the next.

But Cunningham appears to have cultivated the consistency his many predecessors failed to.

The big question is can Galway reproduce their Leinster final performance? This is still an incredible Kilkenny outfit, but they did not have enough to cope with Galway at full pelt in July, and they probably still wouldn't at this juncture.

Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin is aiming to land his ninth Celtic Cross on Sunday, but it is the performance of the pretender to his throne - Joe Canning - that will tell the tale of this particular game.

Canning has all the qualities Shefflin possesses. But what he doesn't have is the Ballyhale's man medal collection.

He may still be only 23, but the sooner Canning starts winning All-Irelands, the more he'll have to look back on at the end of his career.

Believing you can beat Kilkenny is half the battle when you are facing the Cats, and Galway should have more than enough faith after their Leinster heroics.

Verdict: Galway

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on September 09, 2012, 02:08:17 PM
I think 3/1 is an attractive price.

Galway are fit, they are aggresive and they play with great intensity.

Scaoil amach an bobailin.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0907/336713-galway-can-end-long-wait-for-title/

Essentially, this game will be decided by which Galway side turns up.

You know what you are getting with Kilkenny. The reason their Leinster final collapse was so shocking is that it rarely happens that they are so well beaten.

Galway have long been on the other end of the spectrum, capable of being fantastic one day and pure poison the next.

But Cunningham appears to have cultivated the consistency his many predecessors failed to.

The big question is can Galway reproduce their Leinster final performance? This is still an incredible Kilkenny outfit, but they did not have enough to cope with Galway at full pelt in July, and they probably still wouldn't at this juncture.

Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin is aiming to land his ninth Celtic Cross on Sunday, but it is the performance of the pretender to his throne - Joe Canning - that will tell the tale of this particular game.

Canning has all the qualities Shefflin possesses. But what he doesn't have is the Ballyhale's man medal collection.

He may still be only 23, but the sooner Canning starts winning All-Irelands, the more he'll have to look back on at the end of his career.

Believing you can beat Kilkenny is half the battle when you are facing the Cats, and Galway should have more than enough faith after their Leinster heroics.

Verdict: Galway
Time for the fun to begin!
Good luck, neighbour.
I'm behind ya.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Great shtart with a goal .

Is today the day for Joe Canning ?

seafoid

Sportacus

Plenty of cynical fouling.  Thought that was supposed to only be a football thing.

Blowitupref

Galway on top 25mins gone 1-5 to 0-3
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose