Who has been your county's STAR player for the last 20 years?

Started by Fuzzman, August 13, 2012, 12:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

Laois :  I reckon Tom Kelly, Tony Maher, Mick Lawlor, Ross Munnelly would be the shortlist.

Heshs Umpire

Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on August 13, 2012, 07:57:39 PM
An interesting collation would be the first GAA person people think of when they hear that county's name. Doesn't have to be their best.
I've entered the first player to come to mind as I scanned your list and in cases where I couldn't immediately think of a player, I put in a question mark.

Antrim - ?
Armagh - Oisin McConville
Cavan - Dermot McCabe
Derry - Paddy Bradley
Donegal - Matt Gallagher
Down - Wee James
Fermanagh - Rory Gallagher
Monaghan - Tommy Freeman
Sligo - Paul Taylor
Mayo -  Ciaran McDonald
Leitrim - Mick Quinn
Galway - Padraig Joyce
Roscommon - Shane Curran
Cork - Nicholas Murphy
Kerry - Dara Ó Sé
Limerick - John Galvin
Clare - ?
Waterford - ?
Tipp - Declan Browne

Dublin - Alan Brogan
Meath - Graham Geraghty
Louth - JP Rooney
Westmeath - ?
Kildare - Johnny Doyle
Wexford -  Mattie Forde
Offaly - Ciaran McManus
Kilkenny - ?
Wicklow - Leighton Glynn
Carlow -?
Longford - Paul Barden
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fuzzman

Are most of ye rating Alan Brogan better than Bernard? I know he's played a lot more seasons.

I suppose when I was discussing this with my mates on Sat night we were mainly thinking of the best scoring forward that Dublin and other teams have had.
I mean I was saying that in Ulster Tyrone have had a few like Canavan and O'Neill, McDonnell and Oisin for Armagh, Bradleys for Derry, Tony Boyle & McFadden for Donegal, Wee James & Benny for Down but I was saying Dublin haven't really had someone of that calibre for a long long time
I appreciate a lot of counties don't always have a stand out forward and so players like McManus and O'Hara tend to come to the fore more.

A lot of counties have at least one stand out forward that is something special in winning his own ball and getting massive scores each year.
Johnny Doyle - Kildare
Declan Browne - Tipp
Mattie Forde - Wexford
Geraghty/Giles/O'Rourke - Meath

However, the Dubs probably have to go back to Jimmy Keaveney in the 70's. In 1976 he won texaco player of the year despite being left out of the all star team. Weird or what.
in '77 he was again player of the year but got an all star that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Keaveney

OakleafCounty

Last 20 years. Not always best players but stand outs in my mind.

Derry - Anthony Tohill
Donegal - Adrian Sweeny
Tyrone - Peter Canavan
Antrim - Shenny McQuillan
Armagh - Paul McGrane
Cavan - Dermot McCabe
Down - Benny Coulter
Monaghan - Paul Finlay
Fermanagh - Tom Brewster

Kerry - Colm Cooper/Maurice Fitzgerald
Cork - Colm Corkery
Tipp - Declan Brown

Galway - Ja Fallon
Mayo - Liam McHale
Sligo - Eamon O'Hara

Dublin - Charlie Redmond
Meath - Trevor Giles
Laois - Darren Rooney (Hard as nails)
Kildare - Martin Lynch
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan
Offaly - Ciaran McManus
Longford - Paul Barden
Wexford - Mattie Ford

AZOffaly

I think we did this before.

Antrim - Sambo McNaughton
Armagh - Kieran McGeeney
Cavan - Dermot McCabe
Derry - Anthony Tohill
Donegal - Manus Boyle (I don't know why :) )
Down - Mickey Linden
Fermanagh - Peter McGinnety
Monaghan - Nudie Hughes

Sligo - Eamon O'Hara
Mayo -  Ciaran McDonald
Leitrim - Declan D'Arcy
Galway - Enda Colleran
Roscommon - Dermot Early

Cork - Jimmy Barry Murphy
Kerry - Pat Spillane
Limerick - Eamonn Cregan
Clare - Ger Loughnane
Waterford - Tony Browne
Tipp - Babs Keating

Dublin - John O'Leary
Meath - Colm O'Rourke
Louth - Stephen King
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan
Kildare - Dermot Earley Jnr.
Wexford - Mattie Forde
Offaly - Seamus Darby
Kilkenny - John Power
Wicklow - Kevin O'Brien
Carlow - Johnny Nevin
Laois - Beano McDonald
Longford - Dessie Barry

Fuzzman

Jay$u$ how did I forget Mickey Linden and why did nobody else pick us up on that one.

CitySlicker11

Saw his name mentioned above in one of the posts and it reminded me of what a wonderfully gifted footballer he was, Colin Corkery. Thinking back he would be definitely a candidate for the free taking thread.

Wildweasel74

most counties it should be easy enough to pick their best player. Derry - Tohill, Tyrone - Canavan. etc. only county i be really stuck on is Kerry, Cooper, Maurice Fitz, Dara / Tomas o`se Seamus Moynihan was probably the most consistant of these great Kerry players! hell its nice to be stuck for choice!

From the Bunker

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 14, 2012, 10:31:42 AM
Ciaran McDonald is suppose to be playing very well with his club at 37, Would James Horan ever consider calling him into the panel for the Semi final?

Rumoured to have been asked and he turned it down, but it is unlikely to have happened. Doubt Horan would look for more complications at this stage. In fairness, god only knows how Ciarán Mac would perform at inter-county. Doing it at club is one thing, intercounty is another.

camanchero

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2012, 03:03:44 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 13, 2012, 02:58:36 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 13, 2012, 02:30:15 PM
Who would most of ye non Dubs say was Dublin's best forward in the past 20 years bar the Brogans.

Dessie Farrell.

Good call. I'd have said Jayo but for many years he struggled to score points from outside 20 yards. Great man for a goal though, boots or no boots.
I really hope you are taking the p**s here mucker!
it wouldnt be like you to be swayed by popular media opinion !
he seems like a  nice guy but anyone I knew playing intercounty never worried much about marking him - speed yes, scoring point threat - zero ! woudl win the odd free if he got the ball but was too small to play in the hf role they thought suited a 'playmaker'.
If Dublin has coached him to score points he could have been good.

AZOffaly

That's more or less what I said :D But he could score goals....

Shamrock Shore

AZ

Dessie Barry finished just over 20 years ago but I would still rate Barden ahead of him inanyways as Barden covered the entire pitch whereas Barry stayed close to the goals.

He (Barry) temporarily took charge of Longford coming into the 1994 Lein Champ when a thumping by Meath made him see sense.

Also we hate Slashers down out neck of the woods.........

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 16, 2012, 12:26:59 PM
AZ

Dessie Barry finished just over 20 years ago but I would still rate Barden ahead of him inanyways as Barden covered the entire pitch whereas Barry stayed close to the goals.

He (Barry) temporarily took charge of Longford coming into the 1994 Lein Champ when a thumping by Meath made him see sense.

Also we hate Slashers down out neck of the woods.........

I don't think he did SS. We played Lonford in the championship in 1993, and I'm sure he hit the post that same day. A certain posters brother was in the goals so he might remember,