Derry/Londonderry - The UK City of culture

Started by Lecale2, August 09, 2012, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: trileacman on March 07, 2013, 05:15:18 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 07, 2013, 12:03:38 PM
So the main attraction in the city of culture is graffiti?

Dublin's greatest attraction is a prison, a post office and a graveyard.
I thought it was the Zoo.

deiseach

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 11, 2013, 11:17:20 AM

No, it's the Azoo.

Billys Boots

Quote from: deiseach on March 11, 2013, 11:41:28 AM

No, it's the Azoo.

And the Guinness Hopstore is 2nd. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 11, 2013, 03:32:47 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 11, 2013, 11:41:28 AM

No, it's the Azoo.

And the Guinness Hopstore is 2nd. 

Sure the jumpin' Irishman is world-famous, as Flann O'Brien observed.

armaghniac

Dublin's attractions are a brewery run by the English and a book robbed from Meath by the English.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

theticklemister

Ye can't have her both way boys.......

The DUP has said it fears the Guildhall in Londonderry is being stripped of its British symbols.

The 19th Century building was closed in 2012 for a multi-million pound renovation and will reopen in June.

At a meeting on Tuesday, the DUP and Sinn Fein clashed over a new exhibition on the Ulster Plantation and a proposal to amend the Guildhall's branding.

Sinn Fein said it wanted the building to reflect the lives of all in society.

The party objected to having the UK prefix in the City of Culture title in part of the new exhibition.

The DUP opposed a call to have Doire, the Irish name for the city, included on Guildhall branding along with the names Derry and Londonderry.

Both motions were passed by Derry City Council.

The DUP's Maurice Devenney said unionists could live with the Derry/Londonderry name but "couldn't accept Doire".

"I worry this is more stripping away of our Britishness within nationalist controlled councils," he said.

Sinn Fein's Paul Fleming said that was not the case.

"It isn't about stripping out anything from the Guildhall. The building needs to be reflective of all the citizens of this city and district."

A working group will be set up to look at the issue of symbols and what the building should be used for.

The SDLP's Gerard Diver rejected DUP suggestions that a working group might be the first step in removing British symbols from the Guildhall.

"That is not what our party is about," he said.

"That flies in the face of what we're trying to do which is to create a space for a shared society. The DUP shouldn't have anything to fear from that."

bailestil

I don't know if i'll sleep tonight worrying about if UK is prefixed on the front of a piece of text in the guildhall.
Id say its definitely the number one priority issue affecting the people.

theticklemister

Quote from: bailestil on April 24, 2013, 12:13:41 PM
I don't know if i'll sleep tonight worrying about if UK is prefixed on the front of a piece of text in the guildhall.
Id say its definitely the number one priority issue affecting the people.

It has for a number of years ;)

Tony Baloney

This has been on for months and I have yet to meet anyone that has attended an event. Obviously the vast majority of attendees are within a 20 mile radius but I would have thought there would be wider appeal. Is it just me?!  :-\

J OGorman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 14, 2013, 01:24:37 PM
This has been on for months and I have yet to meet anyone that has attended an event. Obviously the vast majority of attendees are within a 20 mile radius but I would have thought there would be wider appeal. Is it just me?!  :-\

hotels have recorded bumper crowds so I'm assuming folk are travelling in numbers. There is no want of events on each and every week. There just seems to be a real distrust around that the council and the other powers that be are severly overwhelmed and alot of the planning is very amatuerish and the spending of the funds not very frugal (to say the least). But theres plenty on for the weans, music events for all ages etc. Chic are back to play Halloween night..now that would be some craic in that big venue place

Kid Twist

Walk through the city today and you will be impressed. There is an atmosphere building and I think it will be off the scale this weekend. There has been plenty from outside the town all year, but to be honest I think the aim has been bring something to the people of Derry. Take a run down this weekend.

supersarsfields

Heading up to Foyleside tomorrow to do some Christmas shopping rather than attempt to hit belfast!! Wouldn't want to run in to Willie and Jamie.

Going to park up in Foyleside but wouldn't really know Derry that well. Is there much out on the main streets? The wife will be in tow so ideally it's to get her something (takes the pressure of me!). Where are the main shopping areas of the city?

Rois

If you're in Foyleside shopping centre, the door up beside McDonalds at the top leads out onto anothe shopping street.  Head right down that towards the Diamond and you'll find the Richmond Centre and Austins department store.  Then in the Diamond turn right down Shipquay Street, and hang a left into the craft village. That'll include as many shops as you'll want to visit.

The Lumiere festival is on so it might be a bit busier than usual so go early, leave early. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on March 06, 2013, 01:35:47 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on March 06, 2013, 01:32:06 PM
Not a sign of Galway, Cork, Dublin, Belfast or Kilkenny in sight; very disappointed................................

Don't be daft. Everyone knows Kilkenny isn't a city!
It's not even in the UK!

supersarsfields

Quote from: Rois on November 29, 2013, 01:54:58 PM
If you're in Foyleside shopping centre, the door up beside McDonalds at the top leads out onto anothe shopping street.  Head right down that towards the Diamond and you'll find the Richmond Centre and Austins department store.  Then in the Diamond turn right down Shipquay Street, and hang a left into the craft village. That'll include as many shops as you'll want to visit.

The Lumiere festival is on so it might be a bit busier than usual so go early, leave early. 

Cheers Rois, That'll save some time tramping the streets!!