So then what's your bluesky thinking on sam for the next 5 years

Started by rrhf, August 08, 2012, 11:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: CorkMan on August 09, 2012, 12:30:49 PM
Tipperary are a team on the way up. They did some great work this year and if they keep improving at that rate they'll definitely be challenging for All-Irelands in the next five years. If you look at their underage teams, not just minor, but all the way down to under 14, they're dominating Munster. If Tipp don't get and All-Ireland in the next five years, they'll get one soon after.

Tipperary are doing good work at underage football, and trying their best to align with the hurling, however don't get carried away with underage success at u14 up to u17 development squad level. Granted Limerick, Clare and Waterford send their full complements, but Cork and Kerry send multiple squads. Cork used to send a Cork (City and East) and Corcaigh (West Cork) squad, while Kerry send a Kerry South (Including Killarney, Killorglin etc) and a Kerry North (Including Tralee, Castleisland etc). This year at least Cork sent an A and a B team to the U14, as opposed to a geographic split, but Kerry sent the same split squads. In fact Kerry South won the u14 tournament, beating Tipperary on penalties(!) in the final. Tipperary did have good wins over Cork A, Kerry North and Waterford.

Still a lot of hard work to be done there. You need a conveyor belt, not one good batch.

stew

Cork and Kerry usually get it handy in the championship compared to the Ulster & Leinster contingent so they will both be a factor.

Of the Northern teams obviously Donegal will give Sam a rattle but that is about it for me with the northern teams, Tyrone are on the decline and nowhere near the pace yet they have a lot of young talent coming through.

Armagh are in disarray but there is hope, we have a lot of talent in the county but we will do nothing until we fix the issues between the various factions in the county.

Down flatter to deceive and wont be a factor going forward.

In the west Mayo are always thereabouts and Roscommon seem to be coming along but for me the next five AI winners will come from Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Donegal & Mayo.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fuzzman

A conveyor belt certainly helps and in Tyrone the 2003 team that made the break through had been knocking on the door for a year or two but it was mainly created in my eyes from a mixture of good talented young players, combined with a mixture of excellent experienced players, of course Peter Canavan but to me the big difference you need nowadays is a manager that can take that potential and push it to believe and achieve.

Donegal may not have won an All-Ireland as yet but if they had drawn Dublin or Mayo you'd be more hopeful of them making the final. They could still do it of course but to me they don't have the most talented bunch of players ever to line out. Murphy and McFadden are probably their best players but to me it's their manager who has turned them around from being a time of no hopers to a team that really believe. The way Armagh used to believe for about 5 years they were the best team no doubt.

From what I've been told from a man who is heavily involved in development squads, Dublin will be having serious winning teams in the next 10 years at minor and U21 which already seems to be happening.
The amount of money and time spent on coaching all kids in Dublin is just immense.
I see it locally in Clontarf now with my own 4 year old. The amount of young coaches out spending their time coaching kids of all ages. It's immense.
Of course this doesn't automatically lead to All-Ireland but the old argument us culchies used to say that Dublin should be winning so many more AI's, may be coming down the line.
The sheer numbers alone that are playing the game in Dublin will ensure they get first pick of the best players before they are introduced to other sports.

If I was to be honest I'd probably like to see Mayo win an AI soon as they have been knocking on the door for a good few years but I think Donegal could beat them to it.
I think Michael Murphy has STILL not showed us the football he's capable of and at the moment McFadden is more of a marksman that he is.

Tyrone I fear are lacking true hard working leaders that they used to have.
I see Dooher & Jordan are taking the U21s. I'd say those young lads are not too chuffed about that as they'll get some level of fitness there I'd say.

Aristo 60

Down flatter to deceive and wont be a factor going forward.

Will depend on Australian intervention...

Rossfan

What the fcuk is "Bluesky thinking" ?
Is this from the same school of bulshit as "Picking low hanging fruit" or "kicking the can down the road" ?
Not to mention " THe heads up" which apparently means giving someone some info  ::)
Next 5 years - Cork ,Donegal,Kerry, Cork , Roscommon.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cadence

Quote from: Rossfan on August 09, 2012, 05:52:18 PM
What the fcuk is "Bluesky thinking" ?
Is this from the same school of bulshit as "Picking low hanging fruit" or "kicking the can down the road" ?
Not to mention " THe heads up" which apparently means giving someone some info  ::)
Next 5 years - Cork ,Donegal,Kerry, Cork , Roscommon.

can you not "get up to speed".

next five years... donegal, donegal, cork, dubs and kerry.

rrhf

It's about kicking down heavens door, smashing glass ceilings, thinking out of the box etc.

Captain Obvious

Many teams could reach the final over the next five years it's the ones that score the most that will win Sam Maguire.

Aaron Boone

Kildare to get their act together for me. Close the gap to 1928.

Orangemac

It's hard to predict 5 years ahead. 2 years ago few would have predicted Donegal with more or less the same panel of players who were hammered in Crossmaglen would win back to back Ulster titles.

Cork and Dublin should be in the mix for the forseeable future. If Mickey Harte stays with Tyrone you would expect them to come good at some stage.Kerry is the most interesting one gien the miles on the clock of a lot of the players. Is there sufficient talent coming through?

Down have had decent success at underage over the last 15 years but it hasn't translated into senior success.