All Stars 2012

Started by yellowcard, August 08, 2012, 10:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2012, 08:36:42 AM
No nominations for Antrim.

When is the last time Cavan won an all-Star ?

Defo deserved one. Especially if Longford etc are getting them.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Syferus

Hilarious that Jamie Clarke got a nomination after playing good in one game (Tyrone) and then fantastic for 30 minutes and being marked out of the rest of the only other game he played. Gooch likewise I struggle to understand. Nominations based on talent and not performance. If we're going down that route Cathal Cregg deserved to be nominated.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 03, 2012, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 03, 2012, 02:44:23 PM
I see it being
Donegal 7
Mayo 5
Cork/Dublin 3

And nobody else, I can't see how they could leave out any of the all Ireland finalists this year and leave in anyone who didn't make the semis. Would u have Flynn over any of the Donegal HBs for this year? Or Quigley ahead of Moran/Gallagher? I wouldn't

Never watched Quigley thus year, but say he played in 3 matches and had 3 stormers.  That should be enough for an All Star by definition of the award name.  Paul Barden seemed to be the best player on the pitch in any game he played this year, but should he not get an All Star simply due to the fact that someone else played more games than him yet maybe didn't shine as brightly as he did?  The awards should be simply picked on who was the best player in each position.   How many games did Eoin Cadogan play this year?  Only watched him maybe a few times and for me he was as good a defender as there was about.  Surprised Joe McMahon didn't get a nomination either.

Think you have to take into account the quality of the opposition too.
Imagine Mayo were to play London, Carlow and Leitrim and a mayo man was to get MOTM in all three games and score 10 points a game you could hardly call for an all-star?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2012, 09:52:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2012, 12:14:52 PM
Not sure of your point there. Limerick, Tipp or Clare or Leitrim hardly deserved one, and I doubt too many Galway lads are surprised given the year they had. Longford, Wexford and Meath all performed fairly well, and the likes of Paul Barden, Adrian Flynn and others played well in that run. Leinster teams did fairly well in the qualifiers against non-Leinster opponents, and Leinster provided 3 of the 8 quarter finalists, and so I don't think they are over-represented. At the end of the day the awards will be split between the Champions, the runners up, and a few token awards. Like every other year.

I saw Leitrim play once and Emlyn Mulligan was outstanding on a besten team. A class act.

He played well v London,Laois,Wicklow aswell & the other week he scored 1-7 for his club. Good to see Emlyn return to form after his injury lay offs, If i were to pick the best Connacht 15 Mulligan would be on it.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Onion Bag

Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2012, 10:19:19 PM
Hilarious that Jamie Clarke got a nomination after playing good in one game (Tyrone) and then fantastic for 30 minutes and being marked out of the rest of the only other game he played. Gooch likewise I struggle to understand. Nominations based on talent and not performance. If we're going down that route Cathal Cregg deserved to be nominated.

WHO?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Gold on October 03, 2012, 10:17:24 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2012, 08:36:42 AM
No nominations for Antrim.

When is the last time Cavan won an all-Star ?

Defo deserved one. Especially if Longford etc are getting them.

They don't deserve any if they've supporters like you, gobshite.

How could anyone who knows anything about football question a nomination for Paul Barden?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Keane

I've done a Team of the Year article for LiveGaelic if anyone's interested in taking a look, it includes a hearty guffaw at Bernard Brogan's nomination obv.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/team-of-the-year-by-livegaelic-com/

Loves the fist pass

I don't understand how McGee and Keogan are definite for the full back line.

McGee gets so much protection and yet was still well beaten by Colm O'Neill in the semi. I'll admit that I haven't seen Keogan play but beating Doyle and McMenoman in the early rounds isn't overly impressive (not able for full forward and 9rd choice forward by the end of the year respectively).

For me Higgins and Cafferkey have to included. As they went one-on-one with some quality full forwards and won.

Atticus_Finch

It is just the hurling all stars that is televised this year isn't it ? Think they take it year about.

Just reading the Irish News article on all stars today. Frank McGlynn had the highest average rating out of all the Donegal players.

Football all stars announced tomorrow then ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

ballinaman

Leaks that  Higgins, Cafferky,Keegan,Dillon have got them. Harsh on Moran as Walsh gets midfield.

Farrandeelin

2012 GAA GPA Football All-Stars sponsored by Opel

Goalkeeper

1. Paul Durcan (Donegal)

Full back line

2. Neil McGee (Donegal)
3. Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)

Half back line

5. Lee Keegan (Mayo)
6. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
7. Frank McGlynn (Donegal)

Midfield

8. Neil Gallagher (Donegal)
9. Aidan Walsh (Cork)

Half forward line

10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
11. Alan Dillon (Mayo)
12. Mark McHugh (Donegal)

Full forward line

13. Colm O'Neill (Cork)
14. Michael Murphy (Donegal)
15. Colm McFadden (Donegal)

Kevin McLoughlin is very unlucky in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Onion Bag

Think they are deserving except one

Paul flynn??? Don't think so
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 24, 2012, 08:42:48 PM

Goalkeeper

1. Paul Durcan (Donegal)

Full back line

2. Neil McGee (Donegal)
3. Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)

Half back line

5. Lee Keegan (Mayo)
6. Karl Lacey (Donegal)

Midfield

9. Aidan Walsh (Cork)

Half forward line

10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
11. Alan Dillon (Mayo)

Full forward line

13. Colm O'Neill (Cork)

I agree; it was hard on Mac.
I thought he'd get there before Alan Dillon has he had a better game in the final but Flynn and McHugh are deserving of their awards.Wonder what Brolly will have to say about Dillon's selection.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 24, 2012, 08:42:48 PM

Goalkeeper

1. Paul Durcan (Donegal)

Full back line

2. Neil McGee (Donegal)
3. Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)

Half back line

5. Lee Keegan (Mayo)
6. Karl Lacey (Donegal)

Midfield

9. Aidan Walsh (Cork)

Half forward line

10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
11. Alan Dillon (Mayo)

Full forward line

13. Colm O'Neill (Cork)

Kevin more than unlucky, was Mayos best player this year. Suppose the panel could not give Mayo more than 4 stars!

Looks like the only the provincial winners / AI semi finalists get All stars.

ross4life

The most Mayo all-stars in a year since 1996. Even though he didn't play that well in the AI final or was well marked, Alan Dillon was Mayo's best forward this year and deserves his All star as does Cafferkey,Higgins.

Walsh,Flynn inclusions will bring plenty of debate but you can't pick all the players from the finalists.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open