Premier League Thread 2012/2013

Started by laoislad, August 07, 2012, 06:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Colin "Braveheart" Hendry.  Took on the original Ronaldo in his prime and stuck him in the back pocket.  World class defender.  should have left Rovers......... and not pissed his money away

HiMucker

In fairness NAG, he faced some serious personal tragedy.

Emmett

Quote from: NAG1 on May 01, 2013, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: Emmett on May 01, 2013, 10:04:00 AM
Ferdinand was a top class defender, not the best there has been over the last 25 years in my opinion, but still a very good player. A successful defence is all about the partnership in the middle, Ferdinand and Vidic were as good a partnership as there has been - at their peak. They are both clearly on the wane however.

For what it's worth here are my top 5 central defenders in the past 10/15 years

1 - Marcel Desailly
2 - Nemanja Vidic
3 - John Terry
4 - Rio Ferdinand
5 - Sami Hyypia

Jonathan Woodgate was one of the best defenders I have ever had the pleasure of watching, made everything look so simple. Such a pity about the injury problems he had to endure.

Can't believe he would even make it into the top 5, cant remember a more over rated player in a long time. Shows you what the English media can do for you though, that British bull dog JT.  ???

I can make up my own mind about a player, I do not need the british media to help me with this. I understand there's not a lot of love lost for John Terry but there can be no doubting his ability as a footballer. When he's out of the Chelsea team, even now, his absence is felt. He's never been the fastest but his organisational skills, reading of the game, tackling, heading and determination more than make up for this. His passing ability off his left or right foot is also as good as you'll see from a defender.

NAG1

Quote from: HiMucker on May 01, 2013, 11:30:04 AM
In fairness NAG, he faced some serious personal tragedy.

Granted yes, but with 4 kids I would have thought priorities would have been elsewhere, but its a disease I suppose.

NAG1

Quote from: Emmett on May 01, 2013, 11:45:38 AM
Ferdinand was a top class defender, not the best there has been over the last 25 years in my opinion, but still a very good player. A successful defence is all about the partnership in the middle, Ferdinand and Vidic were as good a partnership as there has been - at their peak. They are both clearly on the wane however.

1 - Marcel Desailly
2 - Nemanja Vidic
3 - John Terry
4 - Rio Ferdinand
5 - Sami Hyypia

Jonathan Woodgate was one of the best defenders I have ever had the pleasure of watching, made everything look so simple. Such a pity about the injury problems he had to endure.

Can't believe he would even make it into the top 5, cant remember a more over rated player in a long time. Shows you what the English media can do for you though, that British bull dog JT.  ???

I can make up my own mind about a player, I do not need the british media to help me with this. I understand there's not a lot of love lost for John Terry but there can be no doubting his ability as a footballer. When he's out of the Chelsea team, even now, his absence is felt. He's never been the fastest but his organisational skills, reading of the game, tackling, heading and determination more than make up for this. His passing ability off his left or right foot is also as good as you'll see from a defender.

But not as good as Rio's or having the ability to bring the ball out from the back.

It is opinions at the end of the day but if he wasn't English I don't think he would have the profile he has. He is a hard tackling Terry Butcher type player, much like Gary Cahill. Rio is more in the ilk of Bobby Moore, Paolo Maldini type defender.

HiMucker

thewobbler

I believe in credit where it's due.

Like most of the modern world, I despise John Terry. But he has been the undoubted leader and cornerstone of one of the most difficult to beat teams in world football for the past decade. Even if the British press overrate him, his ability, attributes and worth shouldn't be belittled.

ross4life

Quote from: thewobbler on May 01, 2013, 01:21:58 PM

I believe in credit where it's due.

Like most of the modern world, I despise John Terry. But he has been the undoubted leader and cornerstone of one of the most difficult to beat teams in world football for the past decade. Even if the British press overrate him, his ability, attributes and worth shouldn't be belittled.

Love or hate him Terry was certainly one of the best ever PL defenders. One of his best seasons was in 2004/05 when Chelsea only conceded 15 goals in 38 games Terry was named PFA player of the year first defender to win it since McGrath i think? In regards to Rio, wasn't many outstanding candidates in defence this season but he probably just about deserved it. Other great defenders for United during the PL was Bruce,Stam,Pallister.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

snoopdog

1 - Marcel Desailly
2 - Nemanja Vidic
3 - John Terry
4 - Rio Ferdinand
5 - Sami Hyypia

no Jaap Stam?

ranch

Quote from: snoopdog on May 01, 2013, 05:15:46 PM

1 - Marcel Desailly
2 - Nemanja Vidic
3 - John Terry
4 - Rio Ferdinand
5 - Sami Hyypia

no Jaap Stam?

Bruce, Adams and Pallister would surely be better shouts than Desailly and Hyypia?

Hoof Hearted

didnt know wheree to put hthis, but did you see the finish in Watford/Leicester game.

Leicester got a penalty for some hoor lying down, and he duly missed from the spot. Watford countered and scored at the other end ! All in the 97th minute ! Amazing ! No sympathy for Leicester as it was never a pen
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 12, 2013, 02:39:21 PM
didnt know wheree to put hthis, but did you see the finish in Watford/Leicester game.

Leicester got a penalty for some hoor lying down, and he duly missed from the spot. Watford countered and scored at the other end ! All in the 97th minute ! Amazing ! No sympathy for Leicester as it was never a pen
Scenes afterwards were crazy. Double save from the keeper too!

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 12, 2013, 02:39:21 PM

I know this is hard to believe but Almunia actually saved it, twice!

I'll say it again Almunia actually saved!!!
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017