Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

er seyfrus, sheehan got 3 from play my friend

Declan

Excellent game and Donegal were very impressive. Must be roaring favourites for the final now but we'll see how next Sunday's game goes first. 

Hound

Well done Donegal, excellent performance. Absolutely nothing wrong with that style of football, a million miles away from what they did v the Dubs this time last year.

Some display of fielding by the midfielders. Would never have expected Cork to be obliterated in that area of the field. This kept them on the front foot for much of the second half, which made them look fitter.

As mentioned by the Donegal lads, a little bit of panic set in during the last 5 minutes, when they missed 2 or 3 easy points and the bizarre goal conceded (where did all the defenders go??!!). But that's allowed in an All Ireland semi, and to be honest, in a semi you're probably better winning by 2 points with a couple of things to work on, than putting in the perfect performance and winning by 8.

nrico2006

I honestly can't see Donegal losing, have felt that since the Ulster Final that they will go the whole way as they look so strong, solid and hard to play against.  Have never seen a side as hard to beat in a long time.  What do the other teams do next then?  While I don't think Donegal will dominate I do think that they, along with Dublin, have raised the bar in terms of training with the twice a day sessions etc.  Dublin and Donegal would not be the panels with the best players (you just have to look at where Dublin were in 2009 and Donegal in 2010), but they arguably have the best coach(s) working with them the past few years and it shows.  I remember Joe Brolly spouting months ago about how Tyrone could never win back to back All Irelands due to the high number of injuries the players received due to the way they trained and played, will the same be the case with Donegal?  I would imagine it would be inevitable that the players will pick up muscle injuries or more serious ones over time given the training they are doing, and it would be a big ask to sustain this level for 2 or 3 seasons in a row.  In saying that, I think Mayo will actually get to the final.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on August 27, 2012, 08:36:24 AM
Well done Donegal, excellent performance. Absolutely nothing wrong with that style of football, a million miles away from what they did v the Dubs this time last year.

Some display of fielding by the midfielders. Would never have expected Cork to be obliterated in that area of the field. This kept them on the front foot for much of the second half, which made them look fitter.

As mentioned by the Donegal lads, a little bit of panic set in during the last 5 minutes, when they missed 2 or 3 easy points and the bizarre goal conceded (where did all the defenders go??!!). But that's allowed in an All Ireland semi, and to be honest, in a semi you're probably better winning by 2 points with a couple of things to work on, than putting in the perfect performance and winning by 8.
They didn't finish very well against Kerry either

Keepthefaith93

Which hotel will the Donegal team be staying for the final?

highorlow

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the following:

Donegal beat Kerry comfortably enough = quotes from here and elsewhere such as, bad day at the office for the Kingdom, they caught Kerry on the way down, Kerry were finished anyhow

Donegal beat Cork (the same Cork who beat the same Kerry earlier this year)  comfortably enough = quotes such as, Donegal favs now for AI, Donegal outstanding etc etc.

Its a typical Irish reaction similar in a way to the reaction we have to the economy.

The answer is somewhere inbetween - I wouldn't say that Donegal are the best thing since sliced bread. Credit where credit is due they were excellent yesterday. In saying that Cork were very poor. I counted 5 intercept passes that led to scores for Donegal (in fact Donegal missed 3 more sitters from intercepts).

As ever a balanced view from the media and elsewhere will never be given (apart from probably Martin McHugh on the SG last night). 
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2012, 12:15:34 AM
Are some saying there was no cynicism? It was dripping from the game but Coldrick turned a blind eye to it.

From 'clumsy' tackling in non-scoring areas, to going down holding the face after supposed third man tackles to time-wasting late on - Coldrick ignored the whole show. I think it was well over a minute before the final Donegal free was hit from the time it was awarded. Coldrick still blew her up on time.

100% correct. Coldrick was either extremely naive or shockingly incompetent.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

blanketattack

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 02:29:57 AM

With his mighty total of zero points? Sheehan was anonymous for large stretches and Lacey, a defender, was a more potent attacking threat than he was.

One of the least informed posts I've seen on here.
Sheehan scored 0-3 from, was unlucky with some narrow wides and hit a beautiful inch-perfect 50 yard pass to set up the goal.

Shamrock Shore

My respect for Donegal has been reinstalled after yesterday's game. I feared the worst going there but I must say it was one of the most enjoyable game I've been at in recent times as a neutral.

Well done Donegal - it will be a fascinating final - regardless of whether it's the Dubs or Mayo.

haze

Quote from: blanketattack on August 27, 2012, 09:27:53 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 02:29:57 AM

With his mighty total of zero points? Sheehan was anonymous for large stretches and Lacey, a defender, was a more potent attacking threat than he was.

One of the least informed posts I've seen on here.
Sheehan scored 0-3 from, was unlucky with some narrow wides and hit a beautiful inch-perfect 50 yard pass to set up the goal.

He would have been man of the match had Cork won. Surely he is getting him mixed up with another Cork player?
Thought Sheehan finally should his true potential

thewobbler

On reflection, I don't even think yesterday was about fitness levels. I still reckon Cork would out-gym Donegal man-for-man.

Instead it was like a brawl between the a gym monkey and a trained boxer. They gym monkey, despite being bigger, stronger and quicker (and a pretty good scrapper) was lulled into using all his energy in the early rounds, and the boxer used his nous and skill to pick him off for fun as tiredness set in.

Nothing influences club football trends like senior county football success. If Jimmy McGuinness has signalled a new dawn whereby players (even those the biggest egos) listen to their managers, and play as part of a bigger picture instead of as the only picture, it could be exciting times for Gaelic football. In truth, Kerry have been doing this for years, and Crossmaglen have taken it to unbelievable levels in the club game -  but it's when one of the "wee boys" does it, that everyone else starts to take notice.

ballinaman

In regards to the Cork goal. I was in the upper Hogan directly in line with it and there was a blatant push in the back for O'Neil to get the few yards space while the ball was in the air.

manballandall

Does anyone have an insight to the training Donegal have been doing as their level of fitness is seriously unreal?

Denn Forever

Donegal deserved the win.  Truely awesome performance.

Was disapponted in Cork.  They looked shell-shocked and where were their scoring forwards?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...