Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaigheoAbu

Quote from: emmetryan on August 26, 2012, 09:22:11 PM
I've put together a tactical take on today's game for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=6154
                                                                                                                                                              A very good analysis summed up in your report of today's game Emmett!!Your blog is a must  read for all GAA fans!I'll make sure to tweet this report!

rrhf

Quote from: yellowcard on August 26, 2012, 10:59:53 PM
Delighted for Donegal and Jim McGuinness, hope they take Sam now. On the other hand seriously worried about the way Gaelic football is headed if preparation and systems become more important than individual flair.
Individual flair was as much to do with a hopeless defender as a good forward. Gaelic football game today was better than 99 % of all tv games played in the 70s golden era. Twice as fast, precise and more scores from play, loved it

From the Bunker

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 26, 2012, 10:30:42 PM
Conor Counihan was a very disappointed man when interviewed at the end.  He has spent all his energy on that Cork team building their mental strength to overcome their reputation for being flaky and today they failed the test in the second half as panic gripped their every move. The realisation that they couldn't match Donegal in terms of energy further sapped their energy and concentration.

Yeah, he must have seriously fancied Cork to go all the way this year. Kerry out of the way. Players back from injury. This looked like the year with red and white ribbons on Sam. I'd say he'll pack it in. Hard to come back.

As for Donegal, I seriously thought ye would be out of the Championship today. How wrong was I? Ye are a serious outfit!

MaigheoAbu

Quote from: MaigheoAbu on August 26, 2012, 11:08:43 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on August 26, 2012, 09:22:11 PM
I've put together a tactical take on today's game for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=6154

A very good analysis summed up in your report of today's game Emmett!!Your blog is a must  read for all GAA fans!I'll make sure to tweet this report!

cadence

Delighted for Donegal and Jim McGuinness, hope they take Sam now. On the other hand seriously worried about the way Gaelic football is headed if preparation and systems become more important than individual flair.

despite all the evidence to suggest otherwise too. ah now...

yellowcard

Quote from: cadence on August 26, 2012, 11:24:18 PM

despite all the evidence to suggest otherwise too. ah now...

What evidence?

cadence

thanks for making my point. do carry on!

yellowcard

ONeill

In terms of individual skill, is there a better defender than Karl Lacey out there? On the ball he's a brilliant exponent of all the skills needed. Did you see McGlynn's point? McFadden's points from distance from play and placed balls? Murphy? All fine, skilful players.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cadence

Quote from: yellowcard on August 26, 2012, 11:31:57 PM
Quote from: cadence on August 26, 2012, 11:30:38 PM

I'm confused now.

preparation and systems only get you so far. you need the footballing ability too. but you also need to work on both aspects, the one improves the other. with a smart strategy, you've good the framework to improve your players. players can't really blossom without the framework.

structure is all important. any art is a good example. work within a structure and it opens up the opportunity to be creative and effective at the same time. poetry, painting, music, they all use structure and sometimes the knowledge of the rules of what structure should look like to innovate new ways of being and sport is no different. structure actually fosters creativity, not stifle it.

rrhf

Listen guys in the 70s a greatest ever Kerry golden years ever team mostly teachers and professionals scored 5 goals again a team who had 4 turf cutters 6 farmers, 1 balers assistant, and a bucket man whatever the hell that was.  In otherwise Kerry walked over some gobshites over the years.  Now the brainiest team wins, thats not a bad thing but there is still a few gobshites

yellowcard

Quote from: cadence on August 26, 2012, 11:43:02 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 26, 2012, 11:31:57 PM
Quote from: cadence on August 26, 2012, 11:30:38 PM

I'm confused now.

preparation and systems only get you so far. you need the footballing ability too. but you also need to work on both aspects, the one improves the other. with a smart strategy, you've good the framework to improve your players. players can't really blossom without the framework.

structure is all important. any art is a good example. work within a structure and it opens up the opportunity to be creative and effective at the same time. poetry, painting, music, they all use structure and sometimes the knowledge of the rules of what structure should look like to innovate new ways of being and sport is no different. structure actually fosters creativity, not stifle it.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. If Donegal win the AI as I think they will now, it's without doubt the single biggest managerial achievement that I ever remember. I'm not saying Donegal don't have some very good players but I do think that they are far from being the most talented individuals in the country. I hope that's not seen as a criticism but it's just the way I see it.

Captain Obvious

Donegal's style of play now isn't much different to what Dublin used to win the All Ireland last year, other teams will have to try and copy it as it's the way GAA is going.

ONeill

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 26, 2012, 11:54:15 PM
Donegal's style of play now if isn't much different to what Dublin used to win the All Ireland last year, other teams will have to try and copy it as it's the way GAA is going.

Read Armagh02 - Tyrone05 - Dublin11 - Donegal12 in ascending order in terms of physical preparation.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cadence

i hope that made sense. system improves players, players improve the system, system improves players once again and the process just repeats itself. no great team, sportsman, artist, whatever, stays still... you just hope that when you have your purple patch you make hay and have a nice run. people/teams that do it well even manage to have a high standard in their transition periods. but you can't be successful without structure, or at the very least a knowledge of structure. imo like.