Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=176458

The game is expected to be a sell-out. Even the weather is forecast to be dry and mild with very little wind:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Not many times have I been this excited to go to see a Mayo game but this could be a little bit special.

cadence

looking forward to this one too. no idea how it will pan out. very evenly matched sides given mayo's rejuvenation and dubs' bit of a malaise. i say bit of because the dub defence is tasty and if they can get their forwards firing again...

i'd like us to have another crack at the dubs but, other than oursleves and another northern county, i'd like nothing better than seeing mayo lift it. they're due a break. can't see them beat the dubs though unless they put up another great croker performance. it's a punt, but dubs or mayo by 2-3. 

heffo

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 30, 2012, 03:20:28 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 30, 2012, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on August 30, 2012, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 30, 2012, 12:41:10 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 30, 2012, 12:10:15 AM
I am loving the disrespect from the media, the neturals and the Dubs (I don't personally think the Dubs at full hilt are actually better than us).

How many times have we seen games build up just like this for us to rip the f**kers (no particular county) to pieces. I only start to worry when the feckers start talking us up.

Off the mark dude...................majority of dubs have the upmost respect for the mayo buckos................its your country brethren, media and pundits who are showing possible disrespect and baying for a dub vs donegal final

Actually think mayo will win this

Saying that though I think they're quietly confident that a return of the 2011 performances will be good enough to knock us out.

In the absence of an AI win for Mayo I would think that's a pretty fair assesment would you not?

It's definitely a fair assessment and if you'd quoted that sentence in my full post I thought it'd be fairly clear that I wasn't questioning that point? If not my apologies.
Don't think you'd get much of an argument from most Mayo posters that the Dub's 2011 All Ireland wining form would beat us . If they recapture that level of performance on Sunday and were capable of sustaining it you will be celebrating back to back titles in my opinion.

Apols CB misread your post

squire_in_navy_slacks

Blanchardstown hospital................Mayo nurses up to no good and looking for a good horsing in coppers after the game make their rallying call

Crete Boom

Quote from: heffo on August 31, 2012, 08:39:34 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on August 30, 2012, 03:20:28 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 30, 2012, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on August 30, 2012, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 30, 2012, 12:41:10 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 30, 2012, 12:10:15 AM
I am loving the disrespect from the media, the neturals and the Dubs (I don't personally think the Dubs at full hilt are actually better than us).

How many times have we seen games build up just like this for us to rip the f**kers (no particular county) to pieces. I only start to worry when the feckers start talking us up.

Off the mark dude...................majority of dubs have the upmost respect for the mayo buckos................its your country brethren, media and pundits who are showing possible disrespect and baying for a dub vs donegal final

Actually think mayo will win this

Saying that though I think they're quietly confident that a return of the 2011 performances will be good enough to knock us out.

In the absence of an AI win for Mayo I would think that's a pretty fair assesment would you not?

It's definitely a fair assessment and if you'd quoted that sentence in my full post I thought it'd be fairly clear that I wasn't questioning that point? If not my apologies.
Don't think you'd get much of an argument from most Mayo posters that the Dub's 2011 All Ireland wining form would beat us . If they recapture that level of performance on Sunday and were capable of sustaining it you will be celebrating back to back titles in my opinion.

Apols CB misread your post

No worries Heffo.
I see Ger brennan is back in. He's a decent distributor of the ball which is a plus for the Dubs and Cian O'Sullivan like Higgins for us is quick to attack from cornerback. If I was a Dubs fan I'd be pretty happy Gilroy has got the balance right.

kevmy

I've a funny feeling either Jimmy Nallen or JH asked Mac to do those interviews yesterday. Media go crazy looking for an interview with the man, loads of talk of '06 and JoM and no talk at all about Mayo 2012. Maybe those rumours about a call going into Mac to help out weren't complete bull after all ;D

Getting back to Sunday can anyone recall the match-ups for the league game, specifically who picked up Connolly? I've a feeling it was either Keane or McHale. Whoever it was Connolly didn't fancy him much.

For the next day I'd like to see Keane take Connolly and Caff take B Brogan. I would assume A Brogan will play at CF and I'd have Keegan take him. If McAuley goes out the field I'd have Zippy follow him out. We need to go man-to-man in my view. You cannot sacrifice a forward or midfielder against Dublin because of their short kick-out strategy. The haven't the best fielders of the ball at midfield but both McAuley and Bastick are mobile and if we leave them free they will have an extra man off their kickouts.

We lost the game doing this against Cork in the regular league game but JH had copped onto it by the Dublin game. However Dublin played a standard formation that day. We'll have to adjust if McAuley is played as a third midfielder.

Tubberman

The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Dublin in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi-Final this Sunday 2nd September at 3.30p.m. in Croke Park is as follows:

1.   David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites (Capt.)
2.   Kevin Keane - Westport
3.   Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4.   Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5.   Lee Keegan - Westport
6.   Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7.   Colm Boyle - Davitts
8.   Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9.   Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
13. Enda Varley - Garrymore
14. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
15. Michael Conroy - Davitts
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seanog

Is that official , tubberman?

Tubberman

Yep, just tweeted by @MayoGAA and it's on the website: http://www.sportsmanager.ie/cake/gaa2/mayo/news/160543/mayo_senior_football_team-v%27s-dublin.

No surprises based on the rumours all week. Can't say it has increased my confidence levels (wouldn't be a fan of Doc at 11 or Varley starting), but we'll have to trust the lads are as well prepared as possible and see what happens on Sunday.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on August 31, 2012, 11:38:46 AM
Yep, just tweeted by @MayoGAA.

No surprises based on the rumours all week. Can't say it has increased my confidence levels (wouldn't be a fan of Doc at 11 or Varley starting), but we'll have to trust the lads are as well prepared as possible and see what happens on Sunday.
+1. Obviously based on current form in training so can't argue with it too much. Hon Mayo

seanog

Yeah i agree with ya tubberman but we have to believe Horan knows best i suppose.

I would of chanced Gibbbons on the 40 tbh or SOS if fit, Varley has not impressed so far this year, must be running riot at training to warrant his place.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Tubberman on August 31, 2012, 11:33:09 AM
The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Dublin in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi-Final this Sunday 2nd September at 3.30p.m. in Croke Park is as follows:

1.   David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites (Capt.)
2.   Kevin Keane - Westport
3.   Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4.   Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5.   Lee Keegan - Westport
6.   Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7.   Colm Boyle - Davitts
8.   Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9.   Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
13. Enda Varley - Garrymore
14. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
15. Michael Conroy - Davitts

Selection as expected but we'll have to wait and see if there's any more changes before the throw in? If not then I think Barry and Aido we'll have to deliver big time in midfield and dominate, Doc , Enda and Conroy will have to step up a good few notches too with Cillian taking on the mantle as attacking linch-pin if we are to down the Dubs. A big ask in my opinion.
Delighted my own clubman gets the honour of leading out the Green and Red in front of a full house at Croker. Who was the last Stephenite man who got to do this? They only one I can think of is Jimmy Browne in 89? I know Ronan was captain in 2008 but we didn't get any where near an All Ireland semi that year.

Farrandeelin

Look lads if things don't go according to plan, we have SOS (I hope) McGarrity, Richie Feeney etc to come on around the middle of the field to bulk things up. For all we know, Freeman on the bench may turn out to be a great option to bring on if some other forward isn't doing the business. If they play the way they've played the last day we won't be too far away at the end. (PS, we may even win it)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highorlow

prediction time mayo 1-12 dublin 2-8
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Zulu

Dublin will get more than 10 scores I think HorL. I expect this to be close and since the league final v Cork I've thought Mayo finally looked like a team that would be hard beat. They are now well organised and have some very good footballers from 1 to 9. However, it's from there up where I think Mayo fall short of the big boys. Mayo simply don't have a 'shoot the lights out' forward, even with Moran but certainly not without.

In saying that, Dublin have been average enough so far and while I feel they will be happy enough with their position coming into this game and will have targeted these two games as the ones to peak for there is no guarantee that will happen.

I think Mayo will end up on the 14 point mark at the long whistle so the question is whether Dublin can get more. I think they have it in them to do so but I'm not they will. Gun to the head....Mayo 1-11 Dublin 1-14.

Not sure I've ever been in the situation where there are 3 teams left in the race for Sam and I'll be happy whoever wins it. Could ye not share it between the 3 of ye lads???