Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: spuds on August 25, 2012, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 25, 2012, 08:42:00 PM
This probably doesn't belong on this thread, but anyway...

Con Mort is playing an Alan Brogan type role for Parnells in Dublin senior club football, and has been going well in that role. Obviously a good step behind intercounty level, but interesting to see him in a playmaking team role, and being very unselfish - although is stil notching 2 or 3 points a game
Parnells who are bottom of division 1 and out of championship ?

No and No!

Parnells have nobody on the Dubs panel bar Clucko, and I don't think they've anyone near it. So when they were without Mort and the Laois lads earlier in the year it was no surprise they were doing badly. Not sure if they were bottom, but they were 15th of 16 for a while for sure.

I'm not saying Mort is playing fantastic, just that its interesting to see him at 11, in particular to see him so unselfish given his reputation as a play for himself corner forward (not sure whether that was justified or not).  Parnells have moved up to 8th in the table since his move to centre forward.

spuds

Quote from: Hound on August 27, 2012, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 25, 2012, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 25, 2012, 08:42:00 PM
This probably doesn't belong on this thread, but anyway...

Con Mort is playing an Alan Brogan type role for Parnells in Dublin senior club football, and has been going well in that role. Obviously a good step behind intercounty level, but interesting to see him in a playmaking team role, and being very unselfish - although is stil notching 2 or 3 points a game
Parnells who are bottom of division 1 and out of championship ?

No and No!

Parnells have nobody on the Dubs panel bar Clucko, and I don't think they've anyone near it. So when they were without Mort and the Laois lads earlier in the year it was no surprise they were doing badly. Not sure if they were bottom, but they were 15th of 16 for a while for sure.

I'm not saying Mort is playing fantastic, just that its interesting to see him at 11, in particular to see him so unselfish given his reputation as a play for himself corner forward (not sure whether that was justified or not).  Parnells have moved up to 8th in the table since his move to centre forward.

In Saturday's Herald they were joined bottom with Templeogue Synge St on 7 points, see on Hill16 they have won last 2 league matches on 22nd and 26th. Good luck to the Mort but imagine he will be ate up out there against the stronger teams.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

squire_in_navy_slacks

Any crack from the Mayo buckos.................what kind of support are ye lads rummaging up 25,000 to 30,000 thousand ????

Is brady strinking horns all over the shop

Crete Boom

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 27, 2012, 04:09:14 PM
Any crack from the Mayo buckos.................what kind of support are ye lads rummaging up 25,000 to 30,000 thousand ????

Is brady strinking horns all over the shop

Ah there should be a few of us around. No more that the Dubs we like our pints and football. DB's been quiet of late but I'm sure he'll crank his media machine into top gear during the week ;)

macdanger2

Any word on teams??

I presume SOS isn't fit??

What's the story on A Brogan?? How / whether he plays will have a huge effect on the outcome.

I'd expect a big Mayo crowd, up to 40k maybe - most lads I know are going.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 27, 2012, 11:42:00 PM
Any word on teams??

I presume SOS isn't fit??

What's the story on A Brogan?? How / whether he plays will have a huge effect on the outcome.

I'd expect a big Mayo crowd, up to 40k maybe - most lads I know are going.

I dunno about that! I dont think this is going to be like 06 - before this country imploded.

A lot of regulars I know are in two minds ( which means they wont travel!) A car load that was there in 06 will probably not be there. Unless Dublin come out in droves there ll be empty seats upstairs.

The minor result sickend a few as well. A lot feel that we 'll be shafted even if we re good enough. The league final and media reaction stamped us as non grata

The bad press over the years has had the effect of turning club football people away from going to Mayo county games. Sad but unfortunately true. Bitterest hatred against Mayo team I ve encountered is within Mayo. Brolly won! Nobody wants to be seen supporting a sad county side.

This ref has history goin back to U21 final Mayo v Cork. Listeners on local radio could hear the laughter that day - it had gone beyond boos and jeers. It worked too that day. But he s an oswald of a ref. - a patsy.

seanog

40k ? We never had 40k in croke park in our history, i doubt even for a final.

Semi final ...Mayo should bring 15k in present climate.......in the good days we would of brought 25-30k max, never 40k to semi.

ross4life

Quote from: seanog on August 28, 2012, 12:33:53 AM

Semi final ...Mayo should bring 15k in present climate.......in the good days we would of brought 25-30k max, never 40k to semi.
Sure teams never get anything close to 40k tickets for the All Ireland final i see Galway are only getting 12,000 tickets for hurling final. The 2006 semi final was probably one of Mayo's biggest ever followings in Croke park.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seanog

Quote from: ross4life on August 28, 2012, 12:44:14 AM
Quote from: seanog on August 28, 2012, 12:33:53 AM

Sure teams never get anything close to 40k tickets for the All Ireland final i see Galway are only getting 12,000 tickets for hurling final. The 2006 semi final was probably one of Mayo's biggest ever followings in Croke park.

That doesn't mean though that Mayo people don't get the tickets for the final, the allocation to the county has little bearing on the actual amount, i get my tickets from UK and so do about another 50 mayo people i know.

I wouldn't say 06  semi was the biggest following we ever had in croker, for  me anyway 1989 final was unreal, canal end color was spectacular, my guess would be 89 final for biggest Mayo crowd in croker.

RMDrive

Alan Brogan good to go according to Gilroy. Nice to see him back in action - fine player.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Great to see Alan being there or thereabouts for Sunday, very nervous over this one, poor form all year and bet out the gate by Mayo in the league.................................pundits and muldoons furiously fiddling at themselves at the prospect of dub vs donegal final........perfectly set up for Mayo buckos to stamp on us Dubs

fearsiuil

For those of you that are looking for something to do in Dublin Friday night you might be interested in a Table Quiz fundraiser we are having in Cornelscourt.

TABLE QUIZ
IN
THE MAGIC CARPET PUB
CORNELSCOURT
FRIDAY 31ST OF AUGUST
STARTS 8PM !!

TABLE OF 4  €40
LOADS OF PRIZES
CASH, ALL-IRELAND SEMI FINAL TICKETS, DRINK, ETC.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SPORT, MUSIC, ETC.
PM me for ENQUIRIES

FOXROCK GERALDINE P. MORANS GAA CLUB ADULT TEAM FUNDRAISER

Crete Boom

A lot of my fellow county men appear to be getting revved up about the perceived slight on us from referees and the media in the run up to Sunday and from a Mayo perspective it does seem justified if a little futile. Maybe it's a way to release nerves but the most furious debate is between ourselves and it's framed by the ref/media is against us Vs stop whinging and get on with it brigades with very little in between!
The Ref debate reared it's ugly head due to the incompetence of the ref in the minor match at the weekend but in my personal opinion it was just Meath and Mayo's bad luck to have such a poor ref and doubly Mayo's bad luck to be on the end of such bad calls at the worst time in the match. Then again in my experience bad ref's generally make bad calls at the worst time in a match , it's essential to what makes them a bad ref and Meath could easily have been the receiving team of these calls on another day! So I think we can put the Ref is against debate down to current unfortunate events.
With regard to the media I don't think it's as straightforward. Some people referenced the reaction to the possibility of a Mayo win on the Sunday game as proof of a slight against us ,but I would dismiss this outright for the following reasons;
1) The Sunday game dismisses most counties  and offers very little insight into anything let alone Mayo gaa.
2) On the panel last night Ciaran Whelan is the only one who ever offers any insight or analysis on what actually happens/might happen in games which references to current tactics/playing personal of the teams,  ( while the rest fire out a couple of random stats and fire off the old cliche's about counties that you'd hear from manys a barstool late at night all over the country ) and he's hardly going to back anyone but he's own county (fair play to him for his honesty).
3) Tony Davis , God love him great player , sound man but couldn't analyse his way out of a wet brown paper bag :) (Just watch any of his analysis on RTE player to back up my statement)
So for these reasons I think we can drop the Sunday game from the argument.
I could go through a load of print journalists like Liam Hayes,Martin Breheny, Eugene Mcgee etc... but again they've had a go at manys a county one day and idolised them forever more when they win Sam. Well except maybe Hayes but I'm not sure if he likes any county, remember his attacks on Kerry a couple of years back :o
So another section of the media struck off the list of the enemies of Mayo but before you think it's all peace and love it gets interesting when we get to (in my mind) the more credible Gaa media.
I'm a big fan of the coverage on Off the Ball on Newstalk. Last night they had Anthony Moyles and Conor Deegan analysing the Cork Donegal match. What was interesting was what they said when the question of can Donegal be beaten in the final? Moyles started to talk about how Dublin would counteract them and immediately corrected himself by saying in his opinion Dublin would win the semi hence why he was using them in his analysis( Fair play to him). In fairness he did tip Dublin since the draw was made so I'd no argument there if being initially annoyed at his mistake. Then Connor Deegan admitted that he thought Dublin would win as well and proceeded to talk about how Dublin would react to Donegal in the final. Now what puzzled me was how had Mayo fallen so far behind Dublin and Donegal in the race for Sam? . How are Mayo rank outsiders in Sunday's match in the minds of two analysts who normally are very balanced in their predictions. In no way did they sound condescending or arrogant in the Spillane/Brolly mode.
I tried to think back to recent results to figure this one out but in our last league meeting with hammered the Dubs and our last championship meeting we were victorious as well so it's not a legacy thing as with say Mayo v Kerry. Also I took this years championship results and while we didn't have gruelling route to the semi we seemed to perform competently and the Dubs have had much the same route as ourselves , wining the games as expected but not shooting the lights out.Also Mayo had a good if up and down league, reaching the league final and beating Kerry in Croker along the way. Now I know the Dubs are reigning All Ireland champs but we did knock out Cork last year and only Kerry have retained the title since Cork did in 1990. So personally while the Dubs may be favourites it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could win on Sunday.
The crux of it I think is two things. Firstly it's the legacy of our Final losses. 89 and 96 aside we weren't at the races in the other three. We were dominated in 1997 start to finish and 04/06 we were wiped out. Secondly we have constantly come back year after year since 96 in the search for Sam. I think the legacy of our final flops and the familiarity of us being around the business end of the championship has built up a strange tolerance of us as in it's no suprise to see us in a semi final but sure they don't even come close to winning finals so let's see someone different for a change. This is where we differ from the Donegal story. Both teams have made huge strides under determined, young ,tactically aware and native managers since 2010 but Donegal haven't been in a final since they won it 1992. This gives the impression they have come from nowhere as opposed to us sliding into one place from our usual inevitable failure. This is why I think we have been subconsciously banished from the mind of pundits. Also I think we can now see where the source of frustration for Mayo supporters comes from in that we are handicapped from being able to show our immense pride in our county teams of the last 23 years because of the inevitable derision it attracts.
Does this mean we should be favourites for the Dublin match? No , but I think some of the above might go some way to explaining the debate and accusations that's been happening on Mayo related threads/blogs over the last couple of days.
The solution, unfortunately the only one is to go on and win the All Ireland and probably put in back to back titles to wipe out our own unusual legacy of near immortality reduced to laughing stock in the blink of an All Ireland final. But sure I'm a Mayo man I wouldn't have any it other way if I'm honest. Life is boring stuck at the top or stuck at the bottom it's the journey in between that's the most craic. 8)

Mhaigheo abu.

bucko

I agree with Crete, the criticism/ dismissal/ disrespect of us will continue until we win an All Ireland, simple as. While the whole furore over McQuillan's appointment is justified, there's nothing that can be done about it now. All JH and the squad can do is focus on the job at hand, take it that McQuillan will do them no favours and play as such while trying not to get frustrated over any poor decisions that he may/ may not make. At the end of the day there'll be 15 Dublin players on the pitch that'll have to be watched, if we get too hung up on the ref they will exploit it.

Declan

Good post Crete - I was surprised at Deegan and Moyles as well but as both are/were involved with Dublin clubs so maybe I shouldn't have been. I've said since the start of the year that I think Mayo are in with a great shout for Sam and nothing I've seen up to now has made me change my mind.
Without playing to yerra card I think they are slight faves for Sunday but it's very much a 50/50 game. Dublin to me are a bit like Cork coming into last weeks game - Expectations for a big performance abound but the evidence so far this year is that they may well come up short - Hopefully not though