Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: johnpower on August 11, 2012, 11:33:31 PM
Kieran Shannon working with the Mayo squad is a good thing.

Should improve their writing anyway.

Lar Naparka

Any of the Mayo lads able to tell me how Ronan McGarrity is coming along?
Is there any chance that he might be fit enough to  play a part in the semi?
There's a strong possibility that JH will make the least number of changes/switches possible to the side.
He's been doing that since the Leitrim game and I imagine that he will follow the same course for the next game.
Anyone think McGar could come on in midfield with either Barry or Aidan going in to FF?
Each has played there before  and while neither made a success of it, both are now playing better than ever before.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Lar, I'm sick of people saying move AOS into full forward. He is wasted in there I feel. I've felt that way since I saw him playing against Roscommon in the u-21s last yr or year before when he put in a motm performance at midfield even though we lost.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

And if anyone is to come into MF, it should be Jason Gibbons, not McGarrity. Gibbons was up against Barry Moran on Sunday in the club q-finals and won that battle.
Farr is right, AOS should be left in MF, so if any midfielder was to go to FF (which I don't think will happen anyway) it should be Moran or Gibbons.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Chimley

What about McGarritty at FF? He should have the vision to see the little pop pass from his basketball days and he is mobile too and big enough to cause problems for any full back. A much better option (on paper) than Moran, AOS or Gibbons.

Tubberman

You know well what will happen if we put a big midfielder in at FF. When the pressure comes on, the gameplan will be abandoned in favour of hoofing big high ball in the general direction of the FF line without even looking up. It might come off once or twice in a game, but more often than not it just comes to nothing and frustrates the bejaysus out of everyone.

Chimley

Quote from: Tubberman on August 14, 2012, 11:58:40 AM
You know well what will happen if we put a big midfielder in at FF. When the pressure comes on, the gameplan will be abandoned in favour of hoofing big high ball in the general direction of the FF line without even looking up. It might come off once or twice in a game, but more often than not it just comes to nothing and frustrates the bejaysus out of everyone.

The flipside to that argument is what happened several times in the past where we have nobdy inside who can win a ball. I still cringe thinking back to Meath 2009 when we ended with Ronaldson and Mortimer bouncing off the Meath full back line and winning nothing.
We have lost our primary ballwinner in there and we need to replace him with someone who can win a 50-50 ball. Our forward subs don't seem to have that in them. Freeman has the size to win ball but seems badly out of form. We are very short of options up front with injuries and defection. It is a sign of that when Dillon was replaced by Richie Feeney the last day.
We will have to come up with something a bit more imaginative but the good news is that management have a month between matches to come up with the best option. 

Chimley

Quote from: Chimley on August 14, 2012, 12:12:20 PM

The flipside to that argument is what happened several times in the past where we have nobdy inside who can win a ball. I still cringe thinking back to Meath 2009 when we ended with Ronaldson and Mortimer bouncing off the Meath full back line and winning nothing.
We have lost our primary ballwinner in there and we need to replace him with someone who can win a 50-50 ball. Our forward subs don't seem to have that in them. Freeman has the size to win ball but seems badly out of form. We are very short of options up front with injuries and defection. It is a sign of that when Dillon was replaced by Richie Feeney the last day.
We will have to come up with something a bit more imaginative but the good news is that management have a month between matches to come up with the best option.

Should have been Doherty.

Tubberman

Quote from: Chimley on August 14, 2012, 12:12:20 PM

I know, that's all very true as well. There's no obvious answer. This is where JH and co will have to earn their corn!
As you said, they have had a couple of weeks to try things, and they still have another couple to get it right.

I still think it will be a variation of the same forwards we've seen all year (minus Andy of course). I don't think he's going to parachute a midfielder into FF. It'll be more a case of tweaking the approach play and the runs from the guys inside to try to ensure we can engineer opportunities.

seanog

Well i hope to god , Horan comes up with something other than "tweaking the approach play" to compensate for the loss of our ball winner/playmaker. 

We may just start pissin against the wind if that's the case, you have to come up with something to replace Andy. First of all we need an actual replacement , 'i'd be hoping SOS is fit and able but i haven't a notion where he is up to.

Sligo s defense was up in you face , high intensity and we were found out for the most part, Downs defense was pathetic. Dublin are up your hole , don't give you a 100th of a second to think and they will up it more for this game. We need our shooting boots for this one, we have to take every chance you get, composure will be vital in this game , whoever is the most composed will win, if we start balloning shots wide , it's goodnight Mayo imo.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 14, 2012, 11:39:34 AM
Lar, I'm sick of people saying move AOS into full forward. He is wasted in there I feel. I've felt that way since I saw him playing against Roscommon in the u-21s last yr or year before when he put in a motm performance at midfield even though we lost.
Yeah, I think it would be daft to move AOS from where he's doing fine. I t would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul. But I have heard rumours that he or Barry might be sent forward. Can't say how reliable those stories are but the bro is one of those I've been talking to and he's a strong Stephenites supporter. So maybe it was just a case of wishful thinking when he said McGarritty could be making an appearance.
To put it mildly, he's usually a lot more level-headed than I am and I can't imagine  he'd just start a rumour for the craic. One way or the other, JH won't make any changes unless they are absolutely necessary.
He did a lot of chopping and changing during the league but since the championships began, he's been sticking with the same players as much as possible.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

hondacounty

AOS a must in MF. The dubs will try and rattle each and every player. AOS won't be rattled. Cillian will be 1st for the chop followed by Barry Moran. If Geraghty is ok we need him for this. This one won't be for the feint harted. The Monsignor needs all his prayers answered as regards availability and fitness. Mc Garrity would be another soft touch for the Dubs if as rumoured he is on the way back in.

ballinaman

Quote from: hondacounty on August 14, 2012, 09:40:42 PM
AOS a must in MF. The dubs will try and rattle each and every player. AOS won't be rattled. Cillian will be 1st for the chop followed by Barry Moran. If Geraghty is ok we need him for this. This one won't be for the feint harted. The Monsignor needs all his prayers answered as regards availability and fitness. Mc Garrity would be another soft touch for the Dubs if as rumoured he is on the way back in.
Explain.....oh and try not be make too much of a bollix out of yourself now.

hondacounty

As with Barry Moran when the tough get going these 2 boys don't show up.

ballinaman

Quote from: hondacounty on August 14, 2012, 10:01:22 PM
As with Barry Moran when the tough get going these 2 boys don't show up.
Failed on both accounts so!