Golf - starting off

Started by southdown, August 03, 2012, 04:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Just taken up golf a few weeks ago.  Really enjoying but I am completely useless.  Bought a few clubs etc to get me going and playing on a fairly average 9 hole course to get me started.

Driving is where I struggle, always seems to slice off to the right.

Is anybody is the same boat?  Any tips?

sammymaguire

You need about 12 lessons to get you going
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

southdown

How much roughly would they cost?  Iv came accross a few videos on youtube which are quite useful but I think I will need lessons.

laoislad

Keep your head down!!!!!

Also maybe don't use a driver off the tee to start.
If you're only starting you'll probably hit a 5 iron as far and it will be easier to hit straight.
There are rounds now even that I never use a driver at all and just use a 3 hybrid off the tee.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

southdown

Iv found that a good whack on the 5 iron is more reliable in terms of going straight and almost as far.  Going again tonight with a few of the lads, great old craic and nobody takes it too seriosuly.

ziggy90

Quote from: southdown on August 03, 2012, 04:45:17 PM
Iv found that a good whack on the 5 iron is more reliable in terms of going straight and almost as far.  Going again tonight with a few of the lads, great old craic and nobody takes it too seriosuly.

That's what I like about it, oh and the 19th hole. A few lessons will do you the world of good and will add a helluva a lot to your enjoyment of the game.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

laoislad

Quote from: southdown on August 03, 2012, 04:45:17 PM

That's the main thing.
Hate playing with fellas who take it too serious.

If you hit it as far with 5i then use that, you have plenty of time to learn how to use a driver.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

anglocelt39

Chat with a few lads locally that play the game.

Find out the details of somebody in your locality who is considered a good teacher for somebody at your stage.

Organize 3 or 4 lessons. If teacher is any good will be a guy who gives you no more than 2 or 3 things to focus on.

If you have a driving range close  by, use it to work on the few things you've been told to focus on. Work, work, work. Ideal during winter so you are set up for the new season.

The lessons should cost you no more than €120 or so and will be a huge investment in many years of enjoyment. Final bit, a teacher that can send you on a few video lessons is very useful.

Great thing about golf is the handicap system which means there is room for everybody.

Best of luck.

Once you've got to a certain level of confidence, join either a club or society and compete.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

ballela-angel

Southdown - Taking a handful of lessons will shorten the learning curve considerably - Self taught folks generally find that they have to unlearn many of their early golfing habits and that can be a long, painfull process - There's some good instructors around the 'Point - Good luck with it!
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Bud Wiser

If you download V1 Golf App you will find it is a big help. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"