keep soccer in croker!!!

Started by lawnseed 2, March 24, 2007, 05:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dubnut on March 27, 2007, 10:17:13 AM
Astonished Lynchboy???

I just said that the wind doesnt affect the games as much as you say.
I cant think of many Croke Park games ruined by a gale.
Youre easily astonished! : }
We'll disagree on the affect that we believe the wind has then!

yep
shrinking violet tht I am !

as for your comforts - yer a prawn sambo muncher!
:D

dubnut

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2007, 09:50:17 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 26, 2007, 05:07:18 PM
Lynchboy

The wind only really has a big effect when players are kicking the ball.........and as most teams resort to kicking as a last resort I don't think it is that big a deal......I certainly can't remember too many matches ruined by the wind in Croker...

jeez lads,
I have yet to see anyone kick a point with any bodily part other than the foot...is that not kicking?
Does the gale/wind/breeze that enters into the ground solely affect the shooting at the hill end!

if you think not then you are putting your love of the hill over and above your love for ideal conditions.

I have to say your comments (DFS & Dubnit  ;)) have me astonished!

as for that prat dolan - even the biggest buffoon can make a valid point the odd time!  :D

Lynchboy

There is a challenge involved in kicking into the wind which should be mastered and as nearly all games are played with worse wind then in Croker then there is no issue as far as I am concerned...

Gnevin

Also wasnt their something doing the rounds about kicking in the canel end being harder abou some sort of optical allusion?? we hardly want this on both end now do we
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on March 27, 2007, 11:07:34 AM
Also wasnt their something doing the rounds about kicking in the canel end being harder abou some sort of optical allusion?? we hardly want this on both end now do we
I know what you mean, but great scorers like Matt Connor knew instinctively where the posts were (from the position of he pitch they were on)!

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2007, 12:27:04 PM
I know what you mean, but great scorers like Matt Connor knew instinctively where the posts were (from the position of he pitch they were on)!

Surely then they should be able to deal with a nice cooling breeze, you want want the lads over heating poor whello wouldn't be able to take the heat and need to wave his "hands" around to cool himself  :D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on March 27, 2007, 12:35:21 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2007, 12:27:04 PM

Surely then they should be able to deal with a nice cooling breeze, you want want the lads over heating poor whello wouldn't be able to take the heat and need to wave his "hands" around to cool himself  :D
'Astonishment alert'
;)

The Real Laoislad

KEEP SOCCER IN CROKE PARK ;D ;D ;D ;D

Republic 1 - 0 Slovakia
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

If for no other reason, this is a good reason to keep soccer out of Croke Park

Testing Accessibility

GalwayBayBoy

Personally I'd like to see the stadium completed all the way around.

The hill is grand and all that but we would have a much more impressive stadium with a completed bowl.

maddog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 26, 2007, 10:44:00 AM
I didn't watch them game as I was away tp the zoo with the kids looking at the monkeys, and I am have always been a long time follower of Ireland and soccer in general, and I have been a strong advocate for allowing both rugby and soccer to be played at Croke Park but I have just had a change in heart about the whole issue in respect of soccer team playing there.

I have read about, listened to and discussed the whole issue of the playing surface over the last few days.  The complete feeling of ingratitude from so many quarters over the state of the pitch has me seething to say the least.  I have just had an argument with a die hard soccer man and his tirade about how the "gah" (fcuk I hatye that term >:()  are irresponsible for not having the pitch up to Premiership standard, and if they were going to rent it out, and take all the money they were getting then the least they could do was replace the divots, blah,blah,blah.

I let him have it and told him that if the FAI and its followers had a problem with the pitch then they should fcuk off to Old Trafford and see if they could fill it with 73,000 and line their greedy pockets with money from prawn sandwiches.  I told him that if they had have been organised enough to sort out their own mess then they would not have had a problem with having to rent out Croke Park.  I told him that it used to be a tactic under Jack Charlton that the bumpy pitch in Landsdowne used to put off the teams who were better than Irelandm, like the Dutch for instance, so what was the difference now.  Have Ireland suddenly become a power nation in world soccer?  He complained that Croke Park didn't have any atmosphere and that the fans were too far away from the field.  I told him that the last All Ireland Final I was at the atmosphere was soperb from the minute the minors hit the field to the minute Kieran McGeeney lifted Sam above his head in triumph!  I suggested that maybe it was more to do waith the patrons at the game and the quality of the fare on show rather than the stadium.  I asked him if he was at the rugby game against England and he replied no he didn't even watch it on the television.  I suggested that there was a decent atmosphere that day too.

I am very glad that Liam Mulvihil came out and said what he did last week.  The more that Croke Park is opened the more I am disagreeing with it being the case.  While the rugby fans, administrators and players have been gracious and heartily thankful, the FAI and the fans I have encountered have been spiteful and argumentative.  They remind of a bunch of bad travellers, they come in, set up camp, steal your clothes from the line, piss in your letter box and then break your windows when you tell them to clear off!

My feelings exactly BC, even over here the rugby lads were saying to me how great a stadium it was, understood the history and signifcance to an extent, and they hoped they could go next time. The soccer fans attitude is "so why hasnt it been used for proper football before" So maybe there is some wisdom in the initial stance of many, 32 county teams are welcome, the rest feck off. ;)

lawnseed 2

yes bcb you are exactly right regarding management the gaa have been doing their job too well! only a week ago i attented a talk held by the ulster council where it was pointed out that we have not been accessing government funds, lotto, or sports council money and our buddies in soccer rugby hockey etc have been helping themselves to 85% of the available funds. in essence while we've been bogged down in lottos etc trying to gather money the rest have been getting our share. but all that is about to change croker have appointed people who know how to access this money and now all clubs should be able to get their share. an example was used where a relativly new club approached armagh council for a few quid to help buy equipment for training and were flatly refused because they "were'nt going long enough". a week later in the local newspaper council officials and local councilers were pictured cutting the sod on a new soccer pitch development for a boys brigade club who havent kick a ball since 1959. its time to get in about these crowd and get parity of esteem.