Dublin v Laois - AIQF

Started by Dinny Breen, July 29, 2012, 07:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

We were gifted a goal by Leitrim goalie last week and Meath goalie yesterday so it's Stephen Cluxton's turn next week - it's the least he can do given Dublin's home advantage.

laoislad

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on July 29, 2012, 10:48:22 PM
We were gifted a goal by Leitrim goalie last week and Meath goalie yesterday so it's Stephen Cluxton's turn next week - it's the least he can do given Dublin's home advantage.

We were gifted a penalty against Meath not a goal.
It was a class finish by Ross it has to be said.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hound

Complacency will an issue for the Dubs. Not many of us will think Laois have a chance of beating us.

While I'm delighted that Kerry drew Donegal, as it will be a fascinating game, and happy that Cork drew Kildare, I would have preferred us against Down, for the added bit of spice of playing someone different.

Not a whole lot to gain by beating Laois, and can't imagine how bad it would feel to lose to them! I think we'll win, but it could set us up for a semi final defeat.

heffo

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2012, 08:45:57 AM
Complacency will an issue for the Dubs. Not many of us will think Laois have a chance of beating us.

While I'm delighted that Kerry drew Donegal, as it will be a fascinating game, and happy that Cork drew Kildare, I would have preferred us against Down, for the added bit of spice of playing someone different.

Not a whole lot to gain by beating Laois, and can't imagine how bad it would feel to lose to them! I think we'll win, but it could set us up for a semi final defeat.

After winning the All Ireland last year and ending the 16 year wait it seems the excitement is now gone.

heffo

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 01, 2012, 07:34:14 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2012, 08:45:57 AM

After winning the All Ireland last year and ending the 16 year wait it seems the excitement is now gone.

Not so much excitement is gone but we've won something like 26 of the last 27 games v Leinster opposition.

Laois will do everything they can to slow the game, break up play and make it a snoozefest - it's not going to be a classic.

Would've preferred a new challenge and find out whether we have the hunger to go again this year.

galwaygreenandred

Lest we not forget that Dublin,if they win,they have only played leinster teams in the Championship and this year have only beaten Leinster teams and two ulster teams,one of which have been eliminated and the other is on the other side of the draw....the two teams they could face after Laois.....Down,beat them by two points in the league and Mayo beat them by 12....
"Lads,I'm not happy with our tackling.We're hurting them but they keep getting up"

heffo

Quote from: galwaygreenandred on August 02, 2012, 12:45:14 AM
Lest we not forget that Dublin,if they win,they have only played leinster teams in the Championship and this year have only beaten Leinster teams and two ulster teams,one of which have been eliminated and the other is on the other side of the draw....the two teams they could face after Laois.....Down,beat them by two points in the league and Mayo beat them by 12....

I don't believe for a second that Dublin's league results this year will have any bearing on any potential future championship game.

Declan

Surprised Fennell is still in

GAA news: Eoghan O'Gara, who was a potent substitute in Dublin's win over Meath in last month's Leinster final, is the only change made by manager Pat Gilroy for their All-Ireland quarter-final with Laois at Croke Park on Saturday evening.

Introduced as a replacement for the injured Alan Brogan before half-time in the provincial decider, O'Gara has been rewarded with a starting position and is named at left-corner forward. Kevin McManamon is the player to lose out.

Brogan, last year's 'footballer of the year', has recovered from the injury which forced his substitution aginst Meath and proved his fitness at training last night.

"It was a very, very minor tear . . . . I'm very confident he is okay. It was such a minor thing and we took him off early enough that it didn't become more serious," said Gilroy.

Diarmuid Connolly, who was suspended for the match with Meath, has failed to force his way back into the starting line-up.

Michael Darragh Macauley has again been named at full-forward but is expected to take a position further out the field in the same manner employed against Meath where he operated primarily in the half-forward line and as support to named centre-fielders Eamon Fennell and Denis Bastick.

Dublin (v Laois): Stephen Cluxton; Michael Fitzsimons, Rory O'Carroll, Philly McMahon; James McCarthy, Kevin Nolan, Cian O'Sullivan; Eamon Fennell, Denis Bastick; Paul Flynn, Alan Brogan, Bryan Cullen; Bernard Brogan, Michael Darragh Macauley, Eoghan O'Gara

galwaygreenandred

Quote from: heffo on August 02, 2012, 08:07:37 AM

I don't believe for a second that Dublin's league results this year will have any bearing on any potential future championship game.

Well they haven't had a victory over a Connacht side in the Championship for how long?
"Lads,I'm not happy with our tackling.We're hurting them but they keep getting up"

heffo

Quote from: galwaygreenandred on August 02, 2012, 11:17:31 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 02, 2012, 08:07:37 AM

Well they haven't had a victory over a Connacht side in the Championship for how long?

Last games v Connacht oppposition were Sligo 2001 - win, Leitrim 2004 - win, Roscommon - win, Mayo 2006 - loss.

That record will be irrelevant should Dublin qualify for the semi-final and Mayo do likewise.

galwaygreenandred

I was showing their record against the two sides they could meet in the semi final

agorm

Quote from: Hardy on July 29, 2012, 02:09:31 PM
Ah that's hardly even a spat. Just a family squabble.

I agree.....if we werent passionate about this stuff we wouldnt be getting worked up about it. Not every supporter from a county sees things exactly the same way allo the time.

On the topic, I hope Laois continue where they left off and take good points from play. However, I think dublin will up their performance from the Meath game. Having played a number of big games in Croke Park already has to stand to them and is definitely and advantage.

heffo

Quote from: agorm on August 02, 2012, 05:01:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 29, 2012, 02:09:31 PM
Ah that's hardly even a spat. Just a family squabble.

I agree.....if we werent passionate about this stuff we wouldnt be getting worked up about it. Not every supporter from a county sees things exactly the same way allo the time.

On the topic, I hope Laois continue where they left off and take good points from play. However, I think dublin will up their performance from the Meath game. Having played a number of big games in Croke Park already has to stand to them and is definitely and advantage.

I think Laois are building nicely under McNulty and will surprise a few people. I've a feeling they'll play not to lose though and not get involved in a shootout. They'll hope to stop Dublin scoring goals for the first 50/55 minutes and hope we get frustrated.

If Dublin lose, Gilroy will walk and we'll see Jim Gavin in for next year.

I don't think we'll see a repeat of '03 - Dublin by four.

galwaygreenandred

Who would Dublin prefer out of Mayo or Down IF they win against Laois?