Donegal v Kerry AIQF

Started by RMDrive, July 28, 2012, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 05, 2012, 08:43:51 PM
Its a good thing really being beaten twice by Cork would have been a disaster. I think the lads are entitled to "do a Tyrone" and sneak out early to recharge the batteries.

Fair dues Mike and well said.

I believe the explanation for a lot of the unnecessary anti-Kerry venom on this and other forums stems from a base human trait called envy.  The Kingdom have what most other counties would love to have even 1/4 off,  namely and big bundle of Sams. 
Whilst I love to taunt and play with the Kerry lads there is no disrespect intended.

Donegal abu and keep the Ulster flag flying high.   

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tubberman on August 05, 2012, 05:47:12 PM
Quote from: kuht on August 05, 2012, 05:45:11 PM
alot of posters on this board hold grudges on kerry , winning too much all-irelands i suppose

Mayo have had more bad days against Kerry than anyone, but there isn't the same level of bitterness.

Really? I'm thrilled they lost.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 06, 2012, 09:08:38 AM
alot of posters on this board hold grudges on kerry , winning too much all-irelands i suppose

Mayo have had more bad days against Kerry than anyone, but there isn't the same level of bitterness.

If only to wipe the sneer off Spillane's thick head
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sheamy

McGuinness will not be happy with that last 5mins. Donegal should have won by 10pts playing at around 80% capacity. Fair play to Kerry though playing to the very end. And that is the end too.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 06, 2012, 09:08:38 AM

I didn't say there was nobody in Mayo happy to see Kerry lose, just not the same level of bitterness ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Bensars

Great win for Donegal.

The scoreline however doesnt reflect how much more dominant Donegal were. From about 58 minutes Kerry looked as if they were resigned to losing. Donaghys goal gave a little bit of impetus but all too late. For a team of the experience Kerry has there is a trait, outlined by Brolly several weeks ago. Like him or not the article on Kerry bullying the likes of Mayo every year isnt far of the mark. They dont like it up them.

Mc Guinness had a better gameplan, however the worrying aspect for Donegal is  reverting to similar tactics of football  as last year once a lit bit of pressure applied. Without a greater offensive element they will have no hope against Cork.

Although Micheal Murphy is generally accepted as a very good player, thought he was poor yesterday, especially under the high ball. Maybe Kerry once again paid too much attention to the star forward and paid the cost.

tyssam5

Donegal should have won that a lot handier and they didn't really played that well apart from a spell in 2nd half. Kerry have always been kucjy enough as far as injuries go, but lost too many yesterday, no shape at all. Always hard to know what to make of Cork, semi will be interesting, winner of that game to lift it.

wildrover

Congratulations Donegal...

Can any of ya's tell me what you's are feeding Neil McGee up there?!...Throwing Kalum King around like a rag-doll against Down in the Ulster Final and walking through Kerry boys for fun yesterday...Complete powerhouse...

Great to see Colm McFadden on song aswell...He forever endeared himself to me when he threw that punch v Tyrone (I forget which player he hit) a few years back completely aware that it would be seen by all and he would serve a lengthy suspension but he had decided it would be worth it...

Disappointed by Michael Murphy again yesterday though...

Karl Lacey 50/1 for player of the year!!!!...Been excellent all year and we all know he has two big games in him (should they beat cork)...might have a nibble...

seafoid

Quote from: Seamus on August 06, 2012, 06:06:12 AM
To those anti Kerry people try and get over this success hatred syndrome. Come join us when we do actually lose, which is often, you may even come to like us. I really believe ye have the problem.
Kerry football can be a joy to watch but certain supporters are a pain in the dhera .

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on August 06, 2012, 11:10:31 AM
To those anti Kerry people try and get over this success hatred syndrome. Come join us when we do actually lose, which is often, you may even come to like us. I really believe ye have the problem.
Kerry football can be a joy to watch but certain supporters are a pain in the dhera .
'Can be' is right, but Kerry have been playing as much puke football as their lessers this past few years.
Yesterday, a very noticeable Kerry tactic was to continually follow through with a cynical body check Donegal players after they had released the ball.
Their defensive setup against Tyrone was as blanket as a king size duvet. Add in the diving, mouthing at refs and opponents and you'd wonder where it went wrong for the 'saviours of football'.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 06, 2012, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 06, 2012, 11:10:31 AM
'Can be' is right, but Kerry have been playing as much puke football as their lessers this past few years.
Yesterday, a very noticeable Kerry tactic was to continually follow through with a cynical body check Donegal players after they had released the ball.
Their defensive setup against Tyrone was as blanket as a king size duvet. Add in the diving, mouthing at refs and opponents and you'd wonder where it went wrong for the 'saviours of football'.
They patented that tactic years ago
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

rrhf

There'll be a readout in Kerry now Id imagine.  End of an era for some great servants.  Like Tyrone I think it will be years before they will be a force again. 

winghalfun

Congratulations to Donegal. Hope they go all the way.
And depsite all the negative criticsm that the players and management attract, out of all the 4 quarter final games this weekend, this one was the most enthralling and exciting. (as have been most of the highly competitive games they are involved in)

Dirk Diggler

Great footballers though they were, it'll be good to see the end of two such nasty and dirty players as Tomás O Sé and Paul Galvin though Galvin might stay on another year or until he actually maims someone on the pitch. I expect the whingesome threesome of Donaghy, Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan to stay on another while, but , lets face it, Kerry are finished and they played their All Ireland in Killarney against a woeful, past-it Tyrone, there is nothing growing in the garden for them. They will retain the ability to knock-out a big gun in the qualifiers or a QF, but I don't expect to see them raising Sam for many years, perhaps not seeing them in September for years either.

emmetryan

I've put together a tactical analysis piece on this game here http://action81.com/blog/?p=6117
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com