Donegal v Kerry AIQF

Started by RMDrive, July 28, 2012, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuht

The ref gave some bad calls to both teams in fairness

clarshack

so kerry beating tyrone meant nothing in the end. i'm happy enough with that  ;D

Mac2

Quote from: Collins on August 05, 2012, 06:00:45 PM
Nothing against Kerry really. If I hadnt have backed Donegal I'd have been cheering them (Kerry) on. But even if I was cheering them on, I'd still have the brains and the eyesight to know the ref today (who is "southern" unless you live in an alternate universe where the boards doesn't exist) was clearly biassed towards them.

They are a superb side, always produce the best footballers to watch and have some beautiful spots in their county. Really friendly people too. I love going down there.

There are a few things that do annoy me about Kerry football though.

One would be the myth perpetuated by the media and Kerrymen themselves that they are somehow the Brazil or Barcelona of the GAA. They are not and haven't been for over 20 years. They play a defensive, negative, nasty, cynical game too, but just don't do it as well as the Tyrone's and Donegal's. I asked McGeeney about 8 years ago who was the hardest team he faced. Expecting him to say Tyrone, he said Kerry. He said Kerry are a very clever team, not to mention easily the hardest hitting team he faced. He told me that the next time I watch Kerry, look out for how many times their full forward line deliberately fouls the opposition to stop them counter attacking, but do it in such a way the ref won't tick or book them.

The second would be that after all the years of Kerrymen slabbering about defensive northern sides coming down and not playing proper football, playing puke football, ruining the game yada yada yada, they then turn to the same tactics and don't say a word. They act as if they don't do it at all and that we're all seeing things.

Thirdly, yes they have had the best teams and most All Irelands etc, but the way the draw favours them every year is a joke and how refs tend to favour them above other sides (not just Ulter teams) leaves a sour taste sometimes. They play in a shocking province, with one team to beat year in year out. And even then they are seeded to get to their provincial final, as if they needed any help! Same goes for Cork.

All in all though I like to watch them play more than any other county other than my own.
Would agree with a lot of that and unlike some of the purists here I found it a thoroughly absorbing game and there's no doubt the ref favoured Kerry.

Collins

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 05, 2012, 06:02:24 PM
ye give Down supporters a bad name...a gabshite of the highest order.

Would you care to describe why I'm a gabshite? If you disagree with something I've posted, why don't you tell me why you disagree and think Im wrong? You know, help me see the light? Instead of just attacking me ad hominem. But then again we all know the type of person that argues ad hominem, don't we? (Go on, look it up, there's a good lad)

And to say I give other Down supporters a bad name, I'm afraid, shows your intellectual limitations. Just because I support one team doesn't mean I share all the same traits as other people who follow that very same side. To suggest otherwise is moronic in the extreme.

By the way, do you talk to people in the street like that? Because if you do you must have had a fair few beatings by now for being a mouthy wee p***k who lacks the intelligence or vocabulary to legitimately express an opinion.

cadence

absolutely heroic stuff from our boys. thought it would go down to the wire and just hoped we'd have our noses in front and so it proved.

best game of the weekend for me. magnificently intense game. the ref was truly shocking and made some awful decisions against both sides... don't think he's biased at all, merely a bad ref. hope that's the last game he gets.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Chimley on August 05, 2012, 06:06:22 PM
Marty Duffy is not a southerner. He's a westerner.

It seems to this Collins lad that County Sligo is "Southern" despite Ulster counties Cavan and Monaghan being futher South and N.I. Ulster counties Armagh, Fermanagh, Down and Tyrone having huge swathes of their counties further south, just because Sligo is across the border, yet Donegal is "Northern" despite being also across the border.

The lad is so far off his rocker he is lying on the ground crying for his mammy.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Mac2 on August 05, 2012, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: Collins on August 05, 2012, 06:00:45 PM
Nothing against Kerry really. If I hadnt have backed Donegal I'd have been cheering them (Kerry) on. But even if I was cheering them on, I'd still have the brains and the eyesight to know the ref today (who is "southern" unless you live in an alternate universe where the boards doesn't exist) was clearly biassed towards them.

They are a superb side, always produce the best footballers to watch and have some beautiful spots in their county. Really friendly people too. I love going down there.

There are a few things that do annoy me about Kerry football though.

One would be the myth perpetuated by the media and Kerrymen themselves that they are somehow the Brazil or Barcelona of the GAA. They are not and haven't been for over 20 years. They play a defensive, negative, nasty, cynical game too, but just don't do it as well as the Tyrone's and Donegal's. I asked McGeeney about 8 years ago who was the hardest team he faced. Expecting him to say Tyrone, he said Kerry. He said Kerry are a very clever team, not to mention easily the hardest hitting team he faced. He told me that the next time I watch Kerry, look out for how many times their full forward line deliberately fouls the opposition to stop them counter attacking, but do it in such a way the ref won't tick or book them.

The second would be that after all the years of Kerrymen slabbering about defensive northern sides coming down and not playing proper football, playing puke football, ruining the game yada yada yada, they then turn to the same tactics and don't say a word. They act as if they don't do it at all and that we're all seeing things.

Thirdly, yes they have had the best teams and most All Irelands etc, but the way the draw favours them every year is a joke and how refs tend to favour them above other sides (not just Ulter teams) leaves a sour taste sometimes. They play in a shocking province, with one team to beat year in year out. And even then they are seeded to get to their provincial final, as if they needed any help! Same goes for Cork.

All in all though I like to watch them play more than any other county other than my own.
Would agree with a lot of that and unlike some of the purists here I found it a thoroughly absorbing game and there's no doubt the ref favoured Kerry.

I cant remember which year...might have been 2004? Kerry v Armagh...Galvin hit mcgeeny 3 times in the space of 20 minutes and made geezer pretty much ineffective for the remainder of the game...and that takes some doing.

Cynical and cute - not to say they have the monopoly on that (ahem...)

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Mike Sheehy

Congrats to Donegal. Well done the lads, they gave it a right good lash. It just wasn't to be.

maigheo

Jeez some of the whinging and bitterness on here from some ulster posters over the last few pages is cringeworthy.Please go back to the hogan stand or where ever youse came from as this board is being ruined by your insane comments

seafoid

Kerry gave it a good lash but tyrone was their all ireland . Donegal more like aughrim. Good for fuball .

haranguerer

Quote from: maigheo on August 05, 2012, 06:58:05 PM
        Jeez some of the whinging and bitterness on here from some ulster posters over the last few pages is cringeworthy.Please go back to the hogan stand or where ever youse came from as this board is being ruined by your insane comments

I think we can all recognise that, surely sensible comments dont have to degenerate to their level

bcarrier

Donegal are hard to watch. Four fairly cynical teams left in it.

Mike Sheehy

They are a great bunch of players no doubt. Tomas is still playing and to think he helped put Galway to the sword 12 years ago ! A different breed of men thats for sure.

haranguerer

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 05, 2012, 07:03:10 PM
They are a great bunch of players no doubt. Tomas is still playing and to think he helped put Galway to the sword 12 years ago ! A different breed of men thats for sure.

Just to share what we have to put up with, and why theres a whole thread giving out about him, Mark Sidebottom of the bbc regarding Tomas O Se -

'83 appearances, incredible - I'd say he could make the 100 Oisin?'

20 minutes later:

'I'd say Tomas O Se could hang them up after this year'

;D

everymanaman

Quote from: bcarrier on August 05, 2012, 07:02:44 PM
Donegal are hard to watch. Four fairly cynical teams left in it.

If Kerry had won there would still be 4 fairly cynical teams left in it