A history of bad gaa punditry. Lest we forget!

Started by rrhf, July 24, 2012, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

With poor joe brolly floundering as a pundit this week, who else over the years got it wrong on the box or in the paper for your county? I recall enda colleran suffering the ire of Tyrone fans in 86.  Colm o rourke having to munch on his straw hat and Spillane eating his words in 2008 and 05. What were the famous faux pas by the paid experts to do with your county?

ONeill

Paddy Heaney called Kerry wins in 05 and 08. I suppose one has to stick one's neck on the line.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Last year Brolly said that Cork would wipe the floor with Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

theticklemister

Martin Carney and Sean Cavanagh not having a baldies about the new square ball rule on live t.v.

orangeman

Babs keating proclaimed in 1990  that donkeys don't win derbies in reference to Cork hurlers before the munster final.

Not only did they win the Munster final but went on to win the all ireland.

rrhf

That's predictionary, anyone can fail at that, you must remember the Irish news sent the poor hack down with a file block and a credit card the week before the ai final to paidi se's pub looking a sensible preview.  The cute kingdomers sold him some pups for pints...

ONeill

Alan Hansen said you win nothing with kids. Tell that to the Aghaloo U16s in 1991. They cleaned up grade 3.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

5 Sams

Quote from: theticklemister on July 24, 2012, 11:42:16 PM
Martin Carney and Sean Cavanagh not having a baldies about the new square ball rule on live t.v.

..and Liam Hayes
The Aristocrat Years

screenexile

Did O'Rourke ever get round to eating that hat??

Also did Spillane's Grandmother ever turn out for the Armagh full back line?

Hardy

The problem is that too often the pundit is the story. Why do we allow these clowns to mediate our experience of the game by paying attention to what they say? The interesting stuff is happening on the field, not in the studio where they talk (occasionally) about what happens on the field.

Pitch invasions will end in tears. (I haven't the heart to spoil the fun on the other thread.)

onefaircounty

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2012, 12:20:15 AM

Depressingly, yes. At half-time in Crossmaglen. I think she raced 'Pat Spillane' if memory serves me right.

blanketattack

Tony Davis getting lost in the headlights. I forget what question he was asked.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on July 25, 2012, 12:51:35 AM
The problem is that too often the pundit is the story. Why do we allow these clowns to mediate our experience of the game by paying attention to what they say? The interesting stuff is happening on the field, not in the studio where they talk (occasionally) about what happens on the field.

Pitch invasions will end in tears. (I haven't the heart to spoil the fun on the other thread.)

They frequently do Hardy and it's great.

Onion Bag

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2012, 12:20:15 AM
Did O'Rourke ever get round to eating that hat??

she did yeh, she turned out in crossmaglen after Armagh won sam in 02 for a charity match, one of the lads came on dressed up as a granny ruuning round with "spillanes granny" on his back

it was hilarious
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

snoopdog

i remember back in 91 after Down played Armagh on a wet miserable day in newry, not sure who the pundit was on the sunday game but he said it didnt matter who won that game they wouldnt be contenders for an All Ireland