When is a pitch invasion not really a pitch invasion

Started by Orchardman, July 24, 2012, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=174089

Ulster council top dog:
"I wouldn't have seen a pitch invasion. I saw people walking and running onto a field. I didn't see an issue there."

Fair play to him, he doesn't give a shite. Was glad to see good scenes at the end from donegal, just as it was good to see kerry jump around the place after thumping tyrone. It was cringy watching bryan cullen trying to make a speech in croker with 50,000 dubs not even able to raise a cheer

Captain Obvious

The word invasion needs to be changed. After match pitch celebrations sounds better and long may they continue.

rrhf

donegal_abu

There wasnt going to be any stopping us on Sunday anyway ! Shur about 5 minutes before final whistle blew a few people got on down in th corner and there were hundreds of people lined up ready to go when the whistle did go. Its all part of the fun and running out to congratulate your heroes. i dont see anything wrong with it.

theticklemister

.............. When the Ulster chairman says it is because it happens in Ulster!!

Long live the pitch invasions........wait there, what do the Americans and British call it when they invade other countries?????

TacadoirArdMhacha

If he has "no issue" with it, he should have advised the match announcer who twice pleaded with fans during the second half not to encroach upon the pitch. Mr O Fearghaile might also have expressed his views to the many stewards who vainly attempted to stop the flow of over-excited Donegal fans. At one stage, a garda had to tell one of the steward to stop their efforts as crowds had already breached their defences.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

here comes 6

Quote from: donegal_abu on July 24, 2012, 10:03:13 PM
There wasnt going to be any stopping us on Sunday anyway ! Shur about 5 minutes before final whistle blew a few people got on down in th corner and there were hundreds of people lined up ready to go when the whistle did go. Its all part of the fun and running out to congratulate your heroes. i dont see anything wrong with it.
Im glad yous got on, it showed the Gaa for what it is

optimus cheese

It is a fantastic traditionand long may it continue. Was at the Munster hurling final and after a few minutes they just opened the gates. Before there were father's lifting their kids over the small fence and as walked up the pitch after there were fathers and sons having a puck about in PUC. There is a way to make them safe and that option needs to be implemented instead of the all out ban in Croke Park. It really takes away from the occasion when there are no pitch celebrations by fans

donegal_abu

Quote from: here comes 6 on July 24, 2012, 10:22:29 PM

Exactly it makes the gaa what is it that you can go on and congratulate the players and managment and celebrate with your fellow county people. who wants to watch murphy lift the cup on a screen when ye can be standing below him looking up as he makes history for our county !

here comes 6

Quote from: donegal_abu on July 24, 2012, 11:18:08 PM
Quote from: here comes 6 on July 24, 2012, 10:22:29 PM

Exactly it makes the gaa what is it that you can go on and congratulate the players and managment and celebrate with your fellow county people. who wants to watch murphy lift the cup on a screen when ye can be standing below him looking up as he makes history for our county !

Exactly this was history and even though our team were on the wrong side of it, it was nice to see and a joy to see such an exceptional Footballer in Murphy Collect the trophy and send the Donegal Supporters mad.  Just a pity it wasnt us for a change!!!

Farrandeelin

Hardy will come along soon and ruin the thread! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

donegal_abu

Here Comes 6

i know this is no consolation but what I noticed about th Down fans was how gracious you are in defeat ! Over 5 mins before the final whistle the down supports beside me were shaking my hand, congratulation us and wishing us well in the all-ireland championship. and on online forums there is no bitterness. its a credit that even thoguh your county perhaps failed to deliver for you, you are being gracious and not being sore losers. Maith Sibh!

rrhf

Very wealthy highly educated people, generally no axe to grind.  Great team to beat as they don't get stressed. They do defeat so well. Fair Play to them.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 25, 2012, 09:01:50 PM
Quote from: donegal_abu on July 24, 2012, 11:49:08 PM
Here Comes 6

i know this is no consolation but what I noticed about th Down fans was how gracious you are in defeat ! Over 5 mins before the final whistle the down supports beside me were shaking my hand, congratulation us and wishing us well in the all-ireland championship. and on online forums there is no bitterness. its a credit that even thoguh your county perhaps failed to deliver for you, you are being gracious and not being sore losers. Maith Sibh!

For goodness sake, the majority of them in the Arthurs Stand had already left before the final whistle!  An insult to their own team and Donegal.

In fairness those fans that left early are nowhere to be seen during the McKenna cup or league games.

donegal_abu

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 25, 2012, 09:01:50 PM
Quote from: donegal_abu on July 24, 2012, 11:49:08 PM
Here Comes 6

For goodness sake, the majority of them in the Arthurs Stand had already left before the final whistle!  An insult to their own team and Donegal.

Those are the sunshine supporters, not the die hards that stick with the down team throughout the whole year from mckenna cup to league to championship. and anyway who could blame them for leaving that....