Laois v Meath

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 05:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Can Meath bounce back?

Laois very much under the radar, saw them against Carlow and while they poor they still moved through the gears when they had and closed out the game comfortably. Some big boys, have some tidy forwards and have a bench that can make an impact. Think Laois will win this.
#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Obvious

Six day turnaround may help Laois however Meath should be able win.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 22, 2012, 05:44:40 PM

I don't know, if you look at the graph of these teams since 2010 when it took a replay to separate them you can argue Laois has been on a slighly upward curve whereas Meath, one performance aside, have been on the wane.

Momentum and the 6 day turnaround as you state favours Laois, they have a good defensive structure too and I think that's enough especially if the start Tierney as his free taking could be invaluable.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 22, 2012, 05:44:40 PM

Ah the GAA, we are a few years into this back door craic and they still punish Provincial finalists with having to get things together in six days!

Syferus

Laois struggled over a poor Leitrim team (Eamonn O'Hara wasn't being all that unfair when he was calling it their third string team) and Meath were a kick of the ball off the AI champions. Would favour the Trimmers even with a 6-day turnaround - today shouldn't have been mentally destructive for them.

Gazzler

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2012, 05:59:18 PM
Laois struggled over a poor Leitrim team (Eamonn O'Hara wasn't being all that unfair when he was calling it their third string team) and Meath were a kick of the ball off the AI champions. Would favour the Trimmers even with a 6-day turnaround - today shouldn't have been mentally destructive for them.

And on the flip side Meath needed a replay to beat Carlow and Laois had a good win over Monaghan.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Gazzler on July 22, 2012, 06:03:59 PM

And on the flip side Meath needed a replay to beat Carlow and Laois had a good win over Monaghan.
Wouldn't read much into that. Offaly had a good win over Monaghan last year.

Gazzler

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 22, 2012, 06:07:13 PM

Wouldn't read much into that. Offaly had a good win over Monaghan last year.

That's kinda my point.
I wouldn't be reading too much into previous matches of either team.

Syferus

I wouldn't be shocked by a Laois win, in terms of talent there's not much between them. It just seems like Meath could come in the game running hot after today. It's a great chance for both to make the quarter-finals.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2012, 06:17:37 PM

I wouldn't be shocked by a Laois win, in terms of talent there's not much between them. It just seems like Meath could come in the game running hot after today. It's a great chance for both to make the quarter-finals.

Meath were very poor today I thought plus Kevin Reilly gone for next week's game, reoccurance of Achilles problem.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dont Matter

Meath beat Laois by 10 points last time they met. They would have gained a lot from today's game. Coming close to the All Ireland champs. Leitrim should have beaten Laois plus they picked up some injuries and a good few on the squad aren't happy with McNulty. There can only be one winner.
Who do Meath hope they draw in the quarter finals?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 22, 2012, 07:20:02 PM
Meath beat Laois by 10 points last time they met. They would have gained a lot from today's game. Coming close to the All Ireland champs. Leitrim should have beaten Laois plus they picked up some injuries and a good few on the squad aren't happy with McNulty. There can only be one winner.
Who do Meath hope they draw in the quarter finals?

Mayo of course. They are the softest draw by a mile.

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2012, 06:49:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2012, 06:17:37 PM

Meath were very poor today I thought plus Kevin Reilly gone for next week's game, reoccurance of Achilles problem.

They were plenty poor but the fact they wasted so many chances and still almost over-hauled a 10 point deficit against the AI champions means they should have plenty of belief for Laois.

It was a game most in Meath would have expected to lose so it's hardly going to be a devastating blow for them to have been within a kick of the Dubs. If it had been tight throughout or it was a blow-out I'd wonder about their ability to perform next weekend but today was as perfect a loss as you could get.

Jinxy

With 10 mins to go I would have said we could forget about next week but that late rally will help from a psychological perspective.
Where will it be on?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

We might win, we might lose, not a whole lot between these teams I think.

Trevor Giles will be busy this week in the physio room putting some of the lads back together. Anyone know a good welder who can put Kevin Reilly back together properly.

Probably won't have Reilly or Bray.

Team might well be:

Gallagher,

Keoghan,
Menton,
Harrington,

D Tobin
McAnarney,
Burke,

G Reilly,
C Gillespie;

A Forde/D Carroll
J Sheridan,
P Byrne

S Bray/M Collins
C Ward
J Queeney

Hard to analyze Laois. You look at them  on paper and you expect them to be a lot better than they seem to show.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016