Kildare v Sligo

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 11:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Smart scheduling by the GAA. I'll be going, though my loyalties will be very split.

Dinny Breen

Is it still a shithole to get in and out off, don't fancy a 30 min hike?
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Not on TV either. Shag it anyway.

Donnellys Hollow

It's better than having it in soulless Croke Park as a curtain raiser to Meath v Laois I suppose.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

magpie seanie

Actually think it might be on TV3 (if they cancel Stuart Little 2). RTE have a game (presumably Laois/Meath) pencilled in for 3.00 until about 5.30. Surely TV3 are showing one?

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2012, 02:21:07 PM
Actually think it might be on TV3 (if they cancel Stuart Little 2). RTE have a game (presumably Laois/Meath) pencilled in for 3.00 until about 5.30. Surely TV3 are showing one?

Maybe before the GAA decided somehow that more tv coverage was a bad thing. Just come and sample the Hyde's excellent atmopshere  ;)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2012, 02:27:42 PM

Maybe before the GAA decided somehow that more tv coverage was a bad thing. Just come and sample the Hyde's excellent atmopshere  ;)

Syferus, since you seem to know it all, can you recommend a good parking and exit strategy for the Hyde, will be coming in via Athlone as will probably the other 10K Kildare supporters?
#newbridgeornowhere

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2012, 02:41:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2012, 02:27:42 PM

Syferus, since you seem to know it all, can you recommend a good parking and exit strategy for the Hyde, will be coming in via Athlone as will probably the other 10K Kildare supporters?

Unfortunately Dinny you're going to learn the hard way that there is only one way to leave the hyde in your car i.e slowly and in a traffic jam! :'(

Hardy

Sure you can drive them 4WD yokes over any ditch and park in any field you like, Dinny. Just get someone to show you how to work the second gear stick.

intoDwest

Dinny........go as far as the hospital and park at the back of it. We did that for the Connacht final and had no bother, there were cars parking nearly a mile out the road and nothing in the carpark.

Syferus

Quote from: intoDwest on July 23, 2012, 02:50:24 PM
Dinny........go as far as the hospital and park at the back of it. We did that for the Connacht final and had no bother, there were cars parking nearly a mile out the road and nothing in the carpark.

This. Just don't do if you're not going out the Athlone way because trying to go through town from there after a match is murderous. Going out the Athlone way from there is very easy, though.

The hospital is almost directly beside the Hyde so the walk is no more than a small stroll. That area is the best kept secret of the Hyde  ;)

Dinny Breen

Cheers lads. The hospital it is, if it's anything like last Saturday could be the perfect parking spot.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

So many question marks over Kildare going into this match:

1. What to do with Mick Foley?

Peerless at midfield against Limerick but also needed at the back. Peter Kelly has been caught out a few times in recent games.

2. Is it time to abandon the O'Connor experiment?

I love the physicality of the lad and his never say die attitude but it only seems to work against weaker defences. To be fair to him the supply is often poor and we are often slow in getting support running off him. He does seem reluctant to shoot which opposition teams cop onto quickly. Fogarty kicked a few wides when he came on but he kept his marker honest or was that simply a case of the Limerick team tiring? Would O'Connor be better used as a Plan B late on in matches or could he do a job further out the field?

3. Is Callaghan fit for 70 minutes?

Leper helped turn the game when he came on against Limerick and his link play and ability to anticipate the breaking ball has been sorely missed in recent matches.

4. Who to play at midfield?

Foley, Kelly, O'Neill, Flynn, Earley, Lynch, Chalky, O'Connor?

McGeeney will have to earn his corn this week. Most of the other 11 teams left appear to have settled enough teams but it's nigh on impossible to predict how Kildare will line out.

What I would go with for what it's worth:
1 Connolly
2 McGrillen
3 PKelly - to mark Marren
4 Lyons - to mark Kelly
5 Bolton
6 MOF
7 EDoyle
8 Foley
9 Flynn - don't know what the story is with him at the moment, maybe Chalky is worth a try here if he's not fit
10 Leper - EOF hasn't been playing to what he's capable of recently but he has been asked to play deeper to be fair
11 Conway
12 JDoyle - probably back on freetaking duty from the left hand side
13 Kavanagh
14 TOC - don't be afraid to switch him occasionally out the field and mix it up a little, all too predictable at the moment
15 Smith

EOF, Paudie, Rob Kelly, Dermot, Fogarty, Lynch, Mac and the Cavanman leave us with plenty of options on the bench to change things around.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sligoman2

I see this game being won or lost at midfield and sadly our midfield was terrible v Mayo.
We need to play a 3rd midfielder and pull the plug quickly on non performers.

I would like to see johny dAvey starting and pkssibly mcmanus and hughes(if fit) at midfield to see if we can at least hold our own there
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

The Kildare supporters club are running a coach leaving Newbridge at 3pm.

If you were any use you'd be playing.